Do I sell my Wizard or take Boss to small claims court?

ErikT

Well-known member
So long story short, bought a Waza Tube Amp Expander in the summer. Turns out it was defective, it fried the OT on my Wizard MTL. Been trying to get an answer from Boss for months now (even with a Sweetwater RMA #) and nothing. $1500 minimum to fix, $2200 to bring to MK2 specs.

Do I sell for $1200 (it's with Rick right now, $2200 + $200 shipping) or take Boss Roland to small claims for the minimum fix plus shipping ($1800 total)?

Wondering if anyone has ever done a small claims court case and how it went if so.
 

slyym

Member
I’d try to get Sweetwater to pay for it. I wouldn’t think trying to take boss to court would be worth the hassle.
 

MrDowntown

Well-known member
slyym":3a2owz3s said:
I’d try to get Sweetwater to pay for it. I wouldn’t think trying to take boss to court would be worth the hassle.
my thoughts as well....
can't believe SW hasn't tried to right this ship, so to speak.
 

JHowell13

Active member
^^ This - I get it's with Rick but did you get a second opinion or anything?
I can't see going back to SW also as they're just a distributor. It's not their fault something was faulty in the Boss which caused an issue. I would expect their stance would be to handle you as a customer and be the middle man for Boss so it's odd you haven't had any response from them.
 

ErikT

Well-known member
MrDowntown":7eean9yl said:
slyym":7eean9yl said:
I’d try to get Sweetwater to pay for it. I wouldn’t think trying to take boss to court would be worth the hassle.
my thoughts as well....
can't believe SW hasn't tried to right this ship, so to speak.

I mean, I can't really blame them as it isn't their product. Idk.

Devin":7eean9yl said:
$1500 + shipping to swap in a new OT seems completely asinine

There's a few other things besides the OT that need attending to that Rick found after opening it up. Was quoted $500 for OT replacement before I sent it in.

Leaning towards seeing if someone wants to buy it here for cheap or just listing it for "full" price after I get it back. Then maybe flip my way into the black or green.
 

Racerxrated

Well-known member
Jesus that’s horrible. I’ll be staying the hell away from that Boss product. I’ve thought about it for my SuperTrem but not anymore. Can you get in touch with Boss USA? If there is such a place?

Sorry for your troubles.
 

ClintN667

Well-known member
I know its not sweetwater's product but they should definitely go to bat for you here. You bought a defective product that you used on an expensive amp. They probably have a contact or at least easier avenues to get someone to contact on this issue. The other way to do it is post to their twitter/facebook etc. This isnt a good look for any company and if they dont take care of you it would sway many of us from ever purchasing the Waza.
 

panhead

Well-known member
Since it is an attenuater of sorts, Im sure they have their ass covered. Sort of like a brand new CR450 10-12k No Warranty. Its all yours when you pay for it.
 

panhead

Well-known member
ErikT":1u4jqxb6 said:
So long story short, bought a Waza Tube Amp Expander in the summer. Turns out it was defective, it fried the OT on my Wizard MTL. Been trying to get an answer from Boss for months now (even with a Sweetwater RMA #) and nothing. $1500 minimum to fix, $2200 to bring to MK2 specs.

Do I sell for $1200 (it's with Rick right now, $2200 + $200 shipping) or take Boss Roland to small claims for the minimum fix plus shipping ($1800 total)?

Wondering if anyone has ever done a small claims court case and how it went if so.
How do you know it was defective?
 

dead-pan

Member
I believe you are the second person I've heard had a Wizard blow with the TAE. I have the 50 watt mc and don't have any issues. Wonder if there is a incompatibility issue with the 100 watt Wizards and the TAE? I've ran around 40 heads through the TAE and had no problems. The the moment I hooked up the Bernie Marsden Marshall to the Fractal X-Load it blew it. That amp worked great with the TAE.

For what its worth i don't like the Wizard with the TAE, or the Komet. Most amps work good.
 

Racerxrated

Well-known member
napalmdeath":32kutnqo said:
Devin":32kutnqo said:
$1500 + shipping to swap in a new OT seems completely asinine

Yeah, no shit. He's strong-arming you.
It’s 500 plus ship just for the OT replace. But apparently there is more work needed based on what happened.
 

napalmdeath

Well-known member
Racerxrated":1se2bzx5 said:
napalmdeath":1se2bzx5 said:
Devin":1se2bzx5 said:
$1500 + shipping to swap in a new OT seems completely asinine

Yeah, no shit. He's strong-arming you.
It’s 500 plus ship just for the OT replace. But apparently there is more work needed based on what happened.

What concludes that the Boss was defective?
 

Metlupass2

Well-known member
How are you going to be able to prove to them that you had it hooked up 100% correctly and it caused the damage?

Whatever happened sucks and I feel bad for you but IMO there's nothing you can do. Best of luck and definately update us on what happens.
 

glip22

Well-known member
That really sucks. Feel for you. Unfortunately it will be not be worth your time and effort to fight it with Boss. There are too many mitigating factors you cannot prove such as house voltage, possible voltage surge, fuse values being too high, and many more. I am sure it was the unit that caused it. Wizards are not friendly with attenuators but you will not be able to win that case. Really sucks.

One thing I can tell you is Rick over fuses his amps. I pull the fuses immediately on the ones I had/have. I remember on my first one there was a 10 amp high heat ceramic in the mains. The voltage arc passed right through it and opened up my OT. All the others had high values too. I change them all to 4 amp mains and 1 amp HT with no issues.

I had an OT blow in my early MC! Rick fixed it for 500 plus shipping which was fair. He quoted me 2K to bring it to MCII specs and I passed. He told me I should just buy a new one LOL
 

ErikT

Well-known member
dead-pan : mine is a 50 watt head. I used it fine with my Two Notes Captor. I bought the TAE so I could play it at reasonable volumes in a NYC apartment. Haha.

Racerxrated : I've reached out to Boss US, have heard nothing back, def feels like the run around. Started blowing em up on social media. Dunno if that will work but my last try before sucking up the loss.

panhead : I sent it back to Sweetwater and their techs said it was defective and sent it back to Boss. I probably worded that part about the RMA weird, it was an RMA to Boss from Sweetwater.
 

napalmdeath

Well-known member
ErikT":32h812db said:
dead-pan : mine is a 50 watt head. I used it fine with my Two Notes Captor. I bought the TAE so I could play it at reasonable volumes in a NYC apartment. Haha.

Racerxrated : I've reached out to Boss US, have heard nothing back, def feels like the run around. Started blowing em up on social media. Dunno if that will work but my last try before sucking up the loss.

panhead : I sent it back to Sweetwater and their techs said it was defective and sent it back to Boss. I probably worded that part about the RMA weird, it was an RMA to Boss from Sweetwater.

Sweetwater typically has a good record of Customer Service. I would go up the ladder there, and lean on them. That would be my course of action. They have the resources to push the issue, if they wanted to. Go up the ladder. Go to Management.

However, what's their expertise in diagnosing the unit? Who's to say the Wizard doesn't have a "flaw", and not compatible? Of course, Wizard would never admit it, if this were the case..
 
Top