Do the Marshall Vietnamese transformers sound any good?? MAV vs Mercury TONE TEST

Even on headphones the difference was negligible and he bounced so quickly from one to the other while playing different things it was impossible to get a bead on it anyway. That Viet. PT is a shit show though with the noise from the bell end. I’d consider changing the PT just for that but also to get voltages in the right place and probably not worry about the OT.

Even on headphones the difference was negligible and he bounced so quickly from one to the other while playing different things it was impossible to get a bead on it anyway. That Viet. PT is a shit show though with the noise from the bell end. I’d consider changing the PT just for that but also to get voltages in the right place and probably not worry about the OT.
Agree on all this.. The way to do it is to repeat a simple section with chords and rhythms and A/B that back and forth.. Not random wanks. I thought maybe the MM had a little more kerang when he hit a chord, but when he switched he'd be playing some wank solo. But then a chord on the MMV sounded good too..

I do that shit all the time when I'm playing with tones and trying new things.. I'll play a passage, and then play the same thing on a new track with the changes I made and then loop it. I'll go back and forth between the original take and all the other takes I did. That way you can really compare.

The noise on the MMV is bullshit tho. It can be fixed with an adjustment of the End Bells, but someone let that turd thru QC.. These corporations don't give a fuck.

What nobody has mentioned is that whole set of MM's is another $729 + tax, S&H... Figure around $800 on top of what you paid for your new Amp.. WTF??

I will say this though.. Higher voltages in Amps DO sound better. I've seen it with my own junk solder burned mutants.. BUT the difference was only like 38 volts on B+ and less as it went down the power string.. Some bean counter spec'ed a few less windings on the PT so they could save a few extra pennies on copper.. Then they will strong arm a poor country to manufacture at a fraction.. The Brits doing what they do best, Imperialism..

• Haha
Reactions: rsm
This would be more interesting if you did it with a set of recent Drakes vs the new ones to see if it actually made a difference in the stock amp. Would also be good to hear multiple amps to see what unit to unit variance is like but that would be complicated to arrange lol

I said it before I'll say it again, I have 2 1959HWs that I'm currently modding and the new transformers are not a problem.

I believe Ground Zero also said he's been modding the newer amps with the new transformers and they sound fantastic.

I see a lot of people assuming the amp with the end bell issue left the factory that way... it was shipped from the UK to Australia before Jason saw it and these things get banged around in shipping. Hell UPS managed to slam an amp hard enough that the chassis bent at the cage nut and I had to hammer it back into place and that was only coming from AZ to PA.

Clearly the new owners of Marshall are more about profits than quality. I'd be worried about the reliability and service life of these budget transformers

Seems the new transformers have taps for 125 / 225 / 245 V even though the switch says 110/220/230.

Middle (220V) position might give better voltages for the amp at 230V from the wall, 230V position is probably better for 240V

What nobody has mentioned is that whole set of MM's is another $729 + tax, S&H... Figure around $800 on top of what you paid for your new Amp.. WTF??
The MM stuff is very expensive unfortunately ....... when I was sourcing parts for my 800 build ..... I was going to go with MM ....

then I caught a Tone Talk podcast where Dave was talking specifically about transformers for a good hunk of the show .... and he basically said the MM stuff is fantastic but very pricey ...... and the Heyboer offerings are much more affordable and he actually like them better than the MM as far as sound ...
so I went with the Heyboer's and am very happy with the results .....

Extended play at the end of the clip.
When I first watched it I missed the screen that said what order you were doing and then was like, OK he’s playing longer here, but why doesn’t he have what Tranny it is on the screen? Lol. Was watching while eating and didn’t even notice you had made chapters.. 🤦‍♂️ It was really hard to tell with the Strat. I heard a deeper low end response with the Merc’s with the LP but not a big difference on the top end. For the price of the MM, I would get a Heyboer PT and call it a day.
If I had one of those amps and didn’t know about the lower voltages and the PT was quiet, not sure I’d feel the need to change anything. Apart from the PT noise did your Spidey sense tell you there’s something about this 2203 that’s a little off from other ones (non Viet models)?

Excellent demo. I actually preferred the sound of the MAV. A little more top end and a little more scoop, just slightly clearer overall. That being said I’m still really disappointed in what Marshall is doing here, my ‘83 won’t be going anywhere.

Excellent demo. I actually preferred the sound of the MAV. A little more top end and a little more scoop, just slightly clearer overall. That being said I’m still really disappointed in what Marshall is doing here, my ‘83 won’t be going anywhere.
It was almost like if I was in a two guitar band I would rather have the slightly “leaner” MAV’s and if I was the only guitarist I would want the slightly beefier Merc’s. Really an application difference, not better or worse. Through a decent P.A. It will still sound meaty and big anyway with the MAV’s.

If you go back and forth between 8:07 and 9:33 you can get a good spot to compare. In any case they sound pretty close. They should sound close.

@burger Does the amp feel any different? Is the in-the-room difference bigger than the video?

Also, regarding the thread title...I didn't think there was a problem with how the MAV transformers sounded, I thought the consensus was that they sounded good. It was the ringing endbells that were the problem.

Last edited:
Maybe I’m wrong, but I think if two transformers are to spec and made of a similar quality of materials then there will be an insignificant difference between the two.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I think if two transformers are to spec and made of a similar quality of materials then there will be an insignificant difference between the two.
The MAV PT seems like it’s not really to spec as it’s supplying a lower than typical voltage per the video.

The MAV is a little brighter above 4k and has less subs, say below 50Hz. Choosing which sounds better in a recording is so subjective that another opinion just doesn't matter. Moving the mic or changing the settings on the amp would have a significantly more profound tonal affect.

What of course clips don't highlight is build quality, specs (and subsequently voltages) and durability - so I'm glad Jason spoke to these. For many people - especially amp builders - these factors are far more important than slight EQ differences.

Personally a transformer with a ringing overtone, lightweight construction and questionable specs is off the table - regardless of how close it sounds in clips to a premium-grade unit.

The MAV PT seems like it’s not really to spec as it’s supplying a lower than typical voltage per the video.
I would agree. It's under spec'd. Not an even playing field. Marshall's trying to save money with lower quality parts.

Not sure how evident differences are in real life, but the vid makes me wonder how dumb the SLO owners sounded when they were saying "there no such thing as a SLO clone sounding good without DeYoungs ".

Back