DOD FX20B Stereo Phaser - Anyone use it?

Phrygian

I decided to dig up my old DOD Stereo Phaser for practice today and I have to say I had a blast playing through it. Now I've got the bug for a Phaser in my setup again. Here's my question I guess. I love the sound of the DOD, the switch is iffy though...pretty cheap. With being able to tweak the speed, depth and regen, would I even like the MXR EVH Phase? I've yet to try it out and I know the answer is "get on it, try one out" but I figured I'd ask first. I also really wanted to know what good phasers are out there. I'm out of the loop on these pedals.

Here's a pic of the DOD..(taken off google)

e0165_1.jpg

I've had the FX20B phaser for over 10 years and I love it. It's far more lush than the Phase 90 as it has two more phase stages. Personally, I hate the "jet plane" Phase 90, no matter how ubiquitous it's become. The switches on DODs do suck, however, and mine crapped out after a few years so I've rehoused it in a different enclosure with a heavy duty switch and I've made it true bypass. If you're not electronically inclined, I could do the same for you. Something tells me you'll be disappointed by the Phase 90 if you're already a big fan of the FX20B.

You hit the nail on the head Gino, I think it's a fantastic sounding phaser. The fact that the EVH only had one control scared me. You've got me interested in the mod! Could you post a picture of what you turned yours into? I'd love a true bypass version with a proper switch.

Here it is. If I were to do it for you the enclosure would be painted and I would add graphics. This is just what I did quickly for my live rig. The only thing I'm not a huge fan of is that the DOD board is pretty big and it fits pretty snugly in that enclosure. Not a big deal at all and I protect the board from shorting; it's just a pain to work with a little bit, but once it's done you really don't have to open it again unless there's a problem. PM or e-mail me if you want to talk more details.

:thumbsup:

Attachments

• DOD_FX20B_Phaser_Rehouse.jpg
    DOD_FX20B_Phaser_Rehouse.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 2,739
Gino":1yshfvpt said:
Here it is. If I were to do it for you the enclosure would be painted and I would add graphics. This is just what I did quickly for my live rig. The only thing I'm not a huge fan of is that the DOD board is pretty big and it fits pretty snugly in that enclosure. Not a big deal at all and I protect the board from shorting; it's just a pain to work with a little bit, but once it's done you really don't have to open it again unless there's a problem. PM or e-mail me if you want to talk more details.

Could you put an early 70's EH Small Stone into a box like that, with a LED and a good switch?

japetus":19kvkgt5 said:
Gino":19kvkgt5 said:

Could you put an early 70's EH Small Stone into a box like that, with a LED and a good switch?
I'd have to get dimensions of the board to pick the proper enclosure but yes, I'm sure it can be done as well. PM or e-mail me if you want to talk details. :)

I had the same DOD phaser years back, but traded it in for another pedal. I always thought that phaser kicked major ass! Thick, lush and great sounding. The switch was crap though, it wouldn't always activate or would stick.

Back