Dream Realized - Bogner Ecstasy 3534

what is the general consensus on the older vertical Mesa 2x12, metal grill with EVMs? I have an opportunity to grab one, and seeing as how the guy trading his 3534 for my Helios, also wants my Bogner OS2x12, I might be needing a good 2x12 as soon as tomorrow.
I use the follow-up version of that 2x12; mine has the old logo and came with Mesa V30's, but that morphed into the Recto vertical 2x12.
I love that cab; it's my go-to-gigging cab; I did replace one of the V30's with a G12-65 (top) and put a beam blocker for the V30 (bottom). Sounds bigger than most 2x12, although not quite a good 4x12 sound. But hey, I rather schlep ~65lbs to a gig than my 120lbs Engl 4x12 Pro (2x V30, 2x G12K85) cab, unless the stage is really big.

I might be needing a good 2x12 as soon as tomorrow

My go to cabs have been a pair of vertical Mather 2x12. One is closed back w a Gold / Creamback combo, the other has a Dumble style oval port and is loaded with a Blue / G12H30 pair.... so far I like the Blue / G12H30 cab best for the 3534. I’ve got a 1x12 with a single Creamback M that sounds good too but not as nice as the other, at least with that 3534

Cleans may or may not be your thing, but the green channel on that amp is killer. Run it like a 101b: volume near dimed and use the gain knob as your overall volume level.

I'm always curious about this amp and whether or not it can keep up in a band setting.
Got it home today. Killer amp. I'm pumping it through a 1x12 open back, and I don't see it running out of headroom at plenty loud settings.
Lemme try the 4x12 real quick...
Yeah, um, it's good bro. No worries. It'll hang. Damn! It's kicking.
Pretty sure my neighbors heard that.

Anybody compare and contrast the 3534 to the 5153 Stealth 50W????

I have not owned the Stealth 50w, or even played one. But, I have played the 50 watt combo that has all the xtra gain compared to the original 100 watt head. Or at least that's the way it was years ago when I was checking them out.
This 3534 is a lot like that 50 watt combo, but a huge step up in sound quality and versatility. The red channel is plenty gainy, but not so unusable. The bright switch settings change the overall eq and gain. You can go from kinda tamed down, smooth lead stuff, to biting Mk2C+ type stuff.
Of course, it always has some of that Bogner darkness, but it's a non-issue on this amp. The treble and presence knobs brighten it up sufficiently, without being too shrill.
I kinda been hating on Bogner for years after not jiving with Shivas, Goldfingers, a 20th XTC...
Picked up a Helios and it was cool, but not cool enough to keep it over a plexi clone.
This 3534 has me thinking I may have found a long-term keeper. I think I always say that when I'm having a good honeymoon with a great amp.

Got it home today. Killer amp. I'm pumping it through a 1x12 open back, and I don't see it running out of headroom at plenty loud settings.
Lemme try the 4x12 real quick...
Yeah, um, it's good bro. No worries. It'll hang. Damn! It's kicking.
Pretty sure my neighbors heard that.

I have not owned the Stealth 50w, or even played one. But, I have played the 50 watt combo that has all the xtra gain compared to the original 100 watt head. Or at least that's the way it was years ago when I was checking them out.
This 3534 is a lot like that 50 watt combo, but a huge step up in sound quality and versatility. The red channel is plenty gainy, but not so unusable. The bright switch settings change the overall eq and gain. You can go from kinda tamed down, smooth lead stuff, to biting Mk2C+ type stuff.
Of course, it always has some of that Bogner darkness, but it's a non-issue on this amp. The treble and presence knobs brighten it up sufficiently, without being too shrill.
I kinda been hating on Bogner for years after not jiving with Shivas, Goldfingers, a 20th XTC...
Picked up a Helios and it was cool, but not cool enough to keep it over a plexi clone.
This 3534 has me thinking I may have found a long-term keeper. I think I always say that when I'm having a good honeymoon with a great amp.

Nice. Let's see how you go with this one!

Hey guys, I'm really thinking about buying 3534. Is here anybody who can make good detailed comparison with XTC101b based on solid personal experience ? I don't really care about power, all I care is sound especially that famous blue channel on 101b. From what I could hear on youtube it sounds like 3534 is less compressed, less aggressive and more mellow.

Hey guys, I'm really thinking about buying 3534. Is here anybody who can make good detailed comparison with XTC101b based on solid personal experience ? I don't really care about power, all I care is sound especially that famous blue channel on 101b. From what I could hear on youtube it sounds like 3534 is less compressed, less aggressive and more mellow.
I still have my 3534 that I purchased this past Summer and still love it. Many of the opinions on this thread are shared by me. I wish it was a little quieter. Red Channel on this is better for me than on a 101B (of which I have owned many and is till my fav amp of all time). 3534 Red Channel seems less saturated and a bit more articulate in my mind. The blue channel is a bit different on the 3534 than the 101B. I think it is more open and less compressed to a degree. The 101B blue channel is my fav sound ever. I wanted it to be the same, but I think 35 watts vs 100 watts is going to make a difference in the sound and girth if you will. I still dig the blue channel boost on or off. It just seems like it has a little less "bite" if you will. Clean channel sounds great and is everything you expect. I think the loop is a little noisier than the 101B as well. Volume wise it hangs with a drummer and bass player no problem. I use it in my trio and have no issues being heard. For those of us that want to downsize and lighten our load - this amp is a great option. I also found that using the cab that was made for this amp made a difference for vs a 1x12 V30. I think the cream back is a better match (although others may disagree). I hope this helps sir!

I still have my 3534 that I purchased this past Summer and still love it. Many of the opinions on this thread are shared by me. I wish it was a little quieter. Red Channel on this is better for me than on a 101B (of which I have owned many and is till my fav amp of all time). 3534 Red Channel seems less saturated and a bit more articulate in my mind. The blue channel is a bit different on the 3534 than the 101B. I think it is more open and less compressed to a degree. The 101B blue channel is my fav sound ever. I wanted it to be the same, but I think 35 watts vs 100 watts is going to make a difference in the sound and girth if you will. I still dig the blue channel boost on or off. It just seems like it has a little less "bite" if you will. Clean channel sounds great and is everything you expect. I think the loop is a little noisier than the 101B as well. Volume wise it hangs with a drummer and bass player no problem. I use it in my trio and have no issues being heard. For those of us that want to downsize and lighten our load - this amp is a great option. I also found that using the cab that was made for this amp made a difference for vs a 1x12 V30. I think the cream back is a better match (although others may disagree). I hope this helps sir!

Thanks for your post man, much appreciated. So if I understand you are saying that blue channel has less compression and less 'bite' that 101b. Are those only differences or has the sound different character ? If 3534 was 100W amp do you think blue channel would be close to 101b ? To sum it up, from what I gathered green and red are generally considered better than 101b but blue channel somehow is just different. How about A/AB power option, I assume since 3534 is more dynamic so I ques there is not really need for A class switch.

Thanks for your post man, much appreciated. So if I understand you are saying that blue channel has less compression and less 'bite' that 101b. Are those only differences or has the sound different character ? If 3534 was 100W amp do you think blue channel would be close to 101b ? To sum it up, from what I gathered green and red are generally considered better than 101b but blue channel somehow is just different. How about A/AB power option, I assume since 3534 is more dynamic so I ques there is not really need for A class switch.
To me the blue channel has a bit less bite and toothiness than the 101B does. That could be due to the wattage? I do not know. It is not as huge sounding to me as the 101B is but it is a lower wattage amp. I think it is close between the 2 blue channels. I find I like the red channel on the 3534 me more than the 101B (which was to me unusable). I guess the 3534 blue channel seems a bit more saturated to me as well. I think the cleans on both are great. I do not know about A/AB power option. I never use that.

To me the blue channel has a bit less bite and toothiness than the 101B does. That could be due to the wattage? I do not know. It is not as huge sounding to me as the 101B is but it is a lower wattage amp. I think it is close between the 2 blue channels. I find I like the red channel on the 3534 me more than the 101B (which was to me unusable). I guess the 3534 blue channel seems a bit more saturated to me as well. I think the cleans on both are great. I do not know about A/AB power option. I never use that.
I have read similar opinions on 20th Anniv. What was the problem with 101b red channel ?

I have read similar opinions on 20th Anniv. What was the problem with 101b red channel ?
For me it was just too saturated and less defined in relation to the blue channel on the 101B. I found myself switching the red channel to plexi mode instead. Not so with the 3534. I did gig with it last weekend and (playing in a new band) my drummer hit so damn hard and was so loud that I had my amp on half volume (which I have never done previously in my life LOL). But a 350 lb man behind the kit will pummel the drums sometimes I suppose. I guess there is no substitute for 100 watts of power. My Shiva probably would have had more presence on stage. I am a substitute guy right now and the other guy plays through a Katana!!! LOL. No way he is keeping up ha

For me it was just too saturated and less defined in relation to the blue channel on the 101B. I found myself switching the red channel to plexi mode instead. Not so with the 3534. I did gig with it last weekend and (playing in a new band) my drummer hit so damn hard and was so loud that I had my amp on half volume (which I have never done previously in my life LOL). But a 350 lb man behind the kit will pummel the drums sometimes I suppose. I guess there is no substitute for 100 watts of power. My Shiva probably would have had more presence on stage. I am a substitute guy right now and the other guy plays through a Katana!!! LOL. No way he is keeping up ha

interesting, I would expect more from red channel in such a famous and expensive amp. Today I have called Bogner dealer and he told me that 3534 is completely different to 101b. I said "but it is close, isn't it" and he said "no, different sound". Now I'm confused. I like the fact that green and red are better but I want that Bogner's blue 101b tone as well. If I buy 101b and I end up not liking red channel I would be really pissed of :)

interesting, I would expect more from red channel in such a famous and expensive amp. Today I have called Bogner dealer and he told me that 3534 is completely different to 101b. I said "but it is close, isn't it" and he said "no, different sound". Now I'm confused. I like the fact that green and red are better but I want that Bogner's blue 101b tone as well. If I buy 101b and I end up not liking red channel I would be really pissed of :)
You may love the Red channel on the 101B. It just wasn't for me and I never used it. The blue channel is where the money is but I think the 3534 is different sounding because of the wattage difference too. Not as huge but you expect that from a low wattage amp (to me). I thought the 101B Red channel was too over the top but there are many guys on here that love it and the "liquid sustain feel etc." I will say the red channel on the 3534 is noisier as well. Honestly you should try before you buy but that is not always easy to do. If you buy new from Sweetwater you could always send it back too. To summarize (my opinion:)

101B

Clean - A
Blue channel A+++
Red Channel - B

Clean - B+
Blue Channel - A
Red Channel - A (noise factor makes it only an A)

These are what I think running it through the cab that was designed for it

You may love the Red channel on the 101B. It just wasn't for me and I never used it. The blue channel is where the money is but I think the 3534 is different sounding because of the wattage difference too. Not as huge but you expect that from a low wattage amp (to me). I thought the 101B Red channel was too over the top but there are many guys on here that love it and the "liquid sustain feel etc." I will say the red channel on the 3534 is noisier as well. Honestly you should try before you buy but that is not always easy to do. If you buy new from Sweetwater you could always send it back too. To summarize (my opinion:)

101B

Clean - A
Blue channel A+++
Red Channel - B

Clean - B+
Blue Channel - A

I'm surprised by your 'Clean' comparison. I guess fender-ish vibe is not everything that makes clean interesting. I have called Bogner embasy in Australia and dude told me that 3534 is 'more forgiving' :) I don't like sound of that.

101B

Clean - A
Blue channel A+++
Red Channel - B

Clean - B+
Blue Channel - A

I would agree with the ratings here. Except I would give the 3534 Red Channel a B-.

I gigged with a 101B for a few years - but playing in tiny dive bars with a 120 watt head made no sense. I also got tired of lugging that 50lb head when I was also carrying a small PA system. Clean channel on the 101B was just OK.

I really wanted to love the 3534 but it had some issues for me. The red channel was squishy and didn't really cut. The clean channel was also just OK. The real deal breaker on the amp was the effects loop. The loop on mine hissed like crazy. I also use a Bogner Atma and that fx loop is perfect. I'm wondering why they couldn't have used the same loop.

I also think my 18 watt Atma in 70's mode is louder than the 3534. If I turned up the Return Master on the back of the 3534 to where I could get some volume going to be heard over the drummer (about noon), the loop hiss was too much.

I also disliked that you can't disconnect the cable from the footswitch on the 3534 and I had to wrap that cable around my pedal board to store it away. I carry backups for every cable and it's not possible for that footswitch. If that cable failed, I would be out of luck.

I would agree with the ratings here. Except I would give the 3534 Red Channel a B-.

I gigged with a 101B for a few years - but playing in tiny dive bars with a 120 watt head made no sense. I also got tired of lugging that 50lb head when I was also carrying a small PA system. Clean channel on the 101B was just OK.

I really wanted to love the 3534 but it had some issues for me. The red channel was squishy and didn't really cut. The clean channel was also just OK. The real deal breaker on the amp was the effects loop. The loop on mine hissed like crazy. I also use a Bogner Atma and that fx loop is perfect. I'm wondering why they couldn't have used the same loop.

I also think my 18 watt Atma in 70's mode is louder than the 3534. If I turned up the Return Master on the back of the 3534 to where I could get some volume going to be heard over the drummer (about noon), the loop hiss was too much.

I also disliked that you can't disconnect the cable from the footswitch on the 3534 and I had to wrap that cable around my pedal board to store it away. I carry backups for every cable and it's not possible for that footswitch. If that cable failed, I would be out of luck.

Great post, thanks. That's exactly my impression from youtube demos, red channel doesn't cut as nicely as 101b, and blue channel the same, sqishy as you said. That's probably what Bogner guy meant by "more forgiving". Looks like I will keep saving for 101b.

My thoughts, from a fair bit of experience on a 101B (mostly at half power, mostly through V30s), some experience on a 3534 (through Creamback 65s), and remembering my experience playing a 20th XTC for a short while (through V30s).

Blue channel on the 3534 is great IMO but different than 101B. Blue 3534 to me is still thick and has a similar fatness as Blue 101B, but 3534 Blue to me is more a growl sort of tone than Blue 101B, which is more of a purr. A LOUD purr. :) Blue 3534 is more open; Blue 101B is more compressed. The range of gain on 3534 Blue is very flexible, from 70s AC/DC sort of barely dirty to 80s crunch, with that Alice In Chains sort of low-mids growl. It reminds me of 20th XTC Blue but better, not as congested. 3534 Blue to me is a better sound for rock rhythms; 101B Blue is better for leads, especially that classic liquid lead sound.

101B Red to me is compressed, dark, and crunchy; the post-2004 version very compressed. It can cut if you dial it in right; the Treble pot is log taper, so you have to turn it up well past noon to get it like turning a 2204 Treble past 8 o'clock.. 20th XTC Red IMO was much more open, less compressed, more cut; a bit saggy on Vintage Structure, great for high-gain rock tones, and tighter on Modern Structure, great hard rock or metal tones. 3534 Red is not as dark as 101B Red but has way (way) more gain. At 9 o'clock it did a great tight chunky EVH, at 10 o'clock it did thrash; above 10 o'clock for me it was unusable. With the C81 cap clipped gain mod that's on TPG, the gain range IMO shifted by about one clock hour position, but the tone is a hair less tight; it did GNR squishy crunch at 9 o'clock, EVH at 10 o'clock but not as tight as without the mod, and above 11 o'clock was unusable. It had nice low-mids and decent cut, but to me sounds darker and less cut than 20th Red and way less flexible than 20th Red.

So for me, for Blue, 3534 and 101B are a tie, with 3534 winning for rhythm and 101B winning for leads, and 20th Blue in distant second place. For Red, 20th for me is first place, then 101B--it's dark but has better range of gain and useability--and 3534 by a hair is last, not as dark as 101B but much less flexible or usable. Big design mistake IMO that they didn't give 3534 Red a range of gain that starts lower, like 3534 Blue.

If you buy a 101b and don't dig the Red channel, look into the "Marvel" mod.
But I would suggest you use .680uf cap // with 10k vs the 1 uf cap for the "Cameron" side.
I found using .680uf cap // 10k gave the Red channel a tonality closer to Blue, but also seemed less congested and compressed.
Post 2004 stock Red channel with .22uf // 2.7k is just too much gain and compression, but this stock tone will still be available on the switch if you do the mod.

YMMV

Great post, thanks. That's exactly my impression from youtube demos, red channel doesn't cut as nicely as 101b, and blue channel the same, sqishy as you said. That's probably what Bogner guy meant by "more forgiving". Looks like I will keep saving for 101b.
If sound is the most important thing of course get the 101B. It is the greatest amp they ever made. Most of us got the 3534 because it is smaller. There is always a compromise. 101B is the best

Back