DRRI Getting Real Noisy...

Bardagh

I think my relatively new Deluxe Reverb Reissue (It's from 2021) is already demonstrating Fender's current day bullshit quality when it comes to their amps. I started getting pops and crackling sounds and heavier than usual swooshy static sounds, as well as a faint but noticeable buzz that sounds like a ground buzz. I pulled the PI and it was quiet, so I put it back and removed all the unnecessary preamp tubes (V1, V3, and V5). Nasty noise. I then replaced preamp tubes with known good ones and it made no difference. The last clue is I was tapping on each preamp tube with my finger and noticed that when I touched V4 (which without V3 to power the Reverb is just providing a final gain stage) that the buzzing sound increased.

So nasty swooshy static sounds that kind of make me think bad filter caps or something like that, but also a ground buzz that increases if I touch the V4 preamp tube. Does that seem to indicate there is a bad ground connection somewhere in the vicinity of V4?

To get it out of the way, I'm no tech, have no education in it and probably know just enough about this shit to be a danger to myself. I do understand the basic safety measures and I have done simple work on my amps before, like I would have no problem replacing the filter caps on this thing, but I do not have access to nor understand the use of scopes and all of that shit used to suss out truly difficult problems. However I suspect I am about to need to pull the chassis and start looking for cold solder joints...

Does it do it with the Tube Shield on? Your body acts like an Antennae..
I wouldn't worry about it and get new quality Caps in there..

https://www.amplifiedparts.com/products/capacitors?filters=2341a2370

No, now that you mention it - but it's the only tube that does that, and testing my other amps that have easily accessible tubes, none of them exhibit that kind of behavior. Also none of my other amps, including high gain ones are anywhere as noisy as this one even before this problem started. Just makes me wonder if something is up somewhere other than in the doghouse. I have already checked and tightened up all the weak grounding spots where pots and jacks screw onto the chassis, etc.

I guess I'll take care of the obvious and see what happens. It's nuts that these capacitors are so shitty they would start to fail in less than 3 years! I would not recommend anyone buy a modern Fender amp, especially now that the prices have gone up, good lord.

The caps in DRRIs are notoriously shitty. Put some good ones in there. While you're at it get rid of the bright cap or at least put a switch in it. Or sell it and get a Hot Rod Deluxe.

The caps in DRRIs are notoriously shitty. Put some good ones in there. While you're at it get rid of the bright cap or at least put a switch in it. Or sell it and get a Hot Rod Deluxe.
If I sell it, I'm going to get something like an Allen Accomplice or maybe go for something based on a Brownface Deluxe instead.

If I sell it, I'm going to get something like an Allen Accomplice or maybe go for something based on a Brownface Deluxe instead.
Definitely a better plan. I didn't want to assume anything so I was just rolling with the theory that since you bought a DRRI you were looking at current production fender amps.

My only Fender amp is a '61 Brown Deluxe. All original ( including the tranny) except I have a Cream 90 in it. Blackplates and a Mullard and two Bugle Boys. Then again, it's been a minute, I might have a Mazda silver anode in V1. It sounds amazing.

Definitely a better plan. I didn't want to assume anything so I was just rolling with the theory that since you bought a DRRI you were looking at current production fender amps.

My only Fender amp is a '61 Brown Deluxe. All original ( including the tranny) except I have a Cream 90 in it. Blackplates and a Mullard and two Bugle Boys. Then again, it's been a minute, I might have a Mazda silver anode in V1. It sounds amazing.
I bet it does! I have really liked what I've heard from some of the takes on it like the Down Brownie and the Allen Hot Fudge. I do like the blackface sound too though, like Pete Anderson's tele tones from back in the day. Even if I keep the DRRI, I gotta get a Brownface down the line.

Blackplates in a Fender style amp just RULE. I have rolled in and out all sorts in my Rivera Clubster Royale Recording, and the RCA blackplates are king in this style of amp. I rolled around several Mullards in different spots and even heerlen, etc. Something about the full spectrum the RCA BPs provide is really nice. Pair together well with the RCA grey outputs.

Blackplates in a Fender style amp just RULE. I have rolled in and out all sorts in my Rivera Clubster Royale Recording, and the RCA blackplates are king in this style of amp. I rolled around several Mullards in different spots and even heerlen, etc. Something about the full spectrum the RCA BPs provide is really nice. Pair together well with the RCA grey outputs.
They made a huge difference in mine. And this was before I stuck the Alnico in it.

Yeah, those old RCA's are really rich and full. Kinda the opposite of what would work in more Metal tones. The Grey Plates sound good too..
I disagree with that statement if you are talking bout blackplates. Grey plates, yes. Black? Nope. Super tight bass, full mids and highs.

Back