Drummer's opinion

Based on actual serious skills, like, true serious drumming skills

• Terry Bozzio

• Neil Peart

• Danny Carey

Results are only viewable after voting.
I've been watching drummers on the interwebs lately...
I like hard hitting drummers that groove. I can really appreciate the crazy ability of some to be able to play a different rhythm with each limb, but it can't be to hard to follow the beat for me or it just sounds like chaos.. It has to groove.

So from that like it has to be Peart, Carry, Bozio..

Bozzio wins for the most over the top kit tho..

1981'ish myself and couple friends piled into the car and drove into Honolulu to see some band called Missing Persons on their first trip outside of California to play at a tiny little club the Coconut Grove...Radio hit aside I knew very little about the band. Walked in and first thing I notice is the drum kit is setup at the front of the stage. WTF bro, that's lead guitar wanker territory? That band came out and my mind was absolutely fucking blown within 15 minutes by that drummer, so insanely over the top next level skilled. Entire band was fantastic but Terry Bozzio was / is from another planet. Next time I saw Bozzio was when he was touring with Jeff Beck, it was still awesome.

For me its Bozzio, but the the other two are fantastic as well. They occupy rarified talent territory.

1981'ish myself and couple friends piled into the car and drove into Honolulu to see some band called Missing Persons on their first trip outside of California to play at a tiny little club the Coconut Grove...Radio hit aside I knew very little about the band. Walked in and first thing I notice is the drum kit is setup at the front of the stage. WTF bro, that's lead guitar wanker territory? That band came out and my mind was absolutely fucking blown within 15 minutes by that drummer, so insanely over the top next level skilled. Entire band was fantastic but Terry Bozzio was / is from another planet. Next time I saw Bozzio was when he was touring with Jeff Beck, it was still awesome.

For me its Bozzio, but the the other two are fantastic as well. They occupy rarified talent territory.
Bozzio's slaying of "The Black Page", fucking insanity exponential.

I'm loving the Bozzio vibe here... LOVE it.

Had to throw Peart in there because (flame suit on) a LOT of people consider him to be "next level wild" but I beg to differ. Yes, phenomenal drummer absolutely crushing - but his *timing*, the actual meter - there was always some "off'ness" to it when compared to others. I'd say Jimmy Chamberlain was more a feel drummer than Peart, and Buddy Rich had the timing of a Rolex, and RIP Watts had the same precision, and Bonham had the "sound" but this is the wormhole I tried to avoid with the poll. Just three ICONIC masters at their craft - pick one.

Thanks for the poll thus far - and yes, MASSIVE Zappa fan RIGHT here!!
Peace

I'll take Matt Cameron over all of those dude's.

Next,would be Joey Jordison, he'd f*** anybody up.
Third, would be Taylor Hawkins, he'd hand Dave Grohl his ass on a covid day.

Peart. It isn't just the drummer, it is the music they helped create and how it sounded because they drove it. He just has way too many cool little musical parts that make RUSH magical.

Lombardo did that for Slayer
Paice for DP
Nicko for Maiden

then you have you Mangini's and Langs and a whole bunch of other technical drummers but it sounds too straight and too technical. they are amazing but it isn't musical. It's boring. I need it to groove.

I mean come on... small little kit, same huge drum sound

or

And hence my re-focus on the initial poll...

There's a boatload of AWESOME INSANE mega great drummers out there we can COMPARE and/or defend/offend against the 3 stated choices - but out of the three stated choices - I'm asking your input.

'There is no "greatest" or "fastest" in music... It's just impossible. There may be a boy somewhere in Idaho, whom no one's ever heard, that's probably better than everyone else."
- Bernard 'Buddy' Rich

'There is no "greatest" or "fastest" in music... It's just impossible. There may be a boy somewhere in Idaho, whom no one's ever heard, that's probably better than everyone else."
- Bernard 'Buddy' Rich
I beg to differ....
101.jpg

And hence my re-focus on the initial poll...

There's a boatload of AWESOME INSANE mega great drummers out there we can COMPARE and/or defend/offend against the 3 stated choices - but out of the three stated choices - I'm asking your input.

Then no question. Peart. Not even sure why Carey would be there to be honest but it isn't my thread.

Peart. It isn't just the drummer, it is the music they helped create and how it sounded because they drove it. He just has way too many cool little musical parts that make RUSH magical.

Paice for DP
Nicko for Maiden

then you have you Mangini's and Langs and a whole bunch of other technical drummers but it sounds too straight and too technical. they are amazing but it isn't musical. It's boring. I need it to groove.

Paice for DP
Nicko for Maiden

I mean come on... small little kit, same huge drum sound

or

Totally agree with all of this. My old drummer did the same for our band back in the day and also with his bands after that. I'll ask him the same question as in the OP and post what he says. I'm visiting him today while I'm in San Diego

Peart brought a whack of incredible feel to Rush...

Can't even count the number of times I got to see them at the Gardens in T.O. or their studio that was in the Morin neighborhood of Quebec; that was awesome. Up close and personal. And the first Marshall I ever played was owned by the guitarist for April Wine at the time who were recording there as well.

Then no question. Peart. Not even sure why Carey would be there to be honest but it isn't my thread.
I viewed the ask about technical drummers vs feel and/or how hard they hit. Carey would be up there in the technical category for sure. So I thought the grouping made sense.

Back