Dumb things you did when you first started playing guitar.

When I bought my first electric guitar in 2008 I didn't use a pick. :LOL:

When I bought my first amp in 2008 it was a Fender GDec modeling amp. Then a Fm212.

v... that would suck. I'd forget constantly

I played the guitar through anything, which gained me a few enemies due to burning their amps up from palm mutes, particularly those little Peavey keyboard amps, I borrowed the amp from a jock dude who tried to be all cool with Janes Addiction, etc,-
I had dreads with wire on the ends and was crazy AF, so he lent me his keyboard amp.
Well, I burnt it to the ground trying to emulate the heavy tail-end section of Metallica’s “One”,
over & over & over and I just couldn’t get those monstrous mutes, at least in time before the circuitry starts melting & stinking..,
which became a sorta’ ritual.
But nothing topped the legendary meltdown
of the Dean “Ultra-Gain” SS amp in my Mom’s living room.
THAT!, was rock-n-roll man.

I remember buying an expensive ass boss multi fx board while still playing through a fender solid state practice amp. I had a shit amp and a shit guitar and an fx board with more than both put together and it didn’t even sound very good. So basically that was my first, but not last, time essentially lighting money on fire.

Honorable mention to spending a year playing with the highest action known to man. “Man why the fuck is this so hard?” Because your strings are 14 feet above the fretboard you beginner asshole.

I had no idea what sweep picking was. I knew what I was hearing, but not what the execution was. I thought Yngwie was alternate picking, so that's how I practiced my arpeggios. My alternate picking ability progressed crazy fast, and eventually I learned about sweeping. Even now, very few picking sequences give me any trouble, and it's the result of not knowing what I was doing at the time. Dumb luck.

Started when I was 12. Treble and gain full blast no matter what amp I had for a solid 2 years. Surprised I still have good hearing :shocked:

I could write a book on the stupid stuff I’ve done. I wrecked a bunch of original Gibson PAF’s stealing wire from coils to overwind other PAF coils. Probably a good 3-4 pickups were destroyed.

I had an original Kramer 5150 guitar that I filled in the neck pickup rout with water putty, then ended up adding a pick guard. lol. I stripped all of the finish and logo off of the neck. I eventually took it apart and threw away the body. I still have the neck though. Sitting in a pile of other necks. 🤣

Got into a fender-bender in traffic on the way home from getting a new (to me) Marshall head, which got bounced around the backseat pretty good. Worried it might be damaged, I plugged it in and turned it on as soon as I got home... and the power light didn't work. (OH NO!) Since my cabinet was at my friend's house, I did the brilliant move of plugging headphones into the speaker output and turned it on again. POOF!! Thank God I didn't put those headphones on, because to this day I've never seen speakers explode into a thick puff of white smoke like that again.

Dumbest thing I did was think "wow, I bet this could sound cooler. I think I'll chase tone. I'll probably have everything figured out and get the best tone I'll ever want in no time!"

The dumbest thing I ever did was dress like Buck Dharma from BOC with white pants and a white button down shirt on my first live gig.
Also was playing my Crate amp that looked like an old peach crate and a muff fuzz. Not a cool tone.

Back