Dumble Styled Circuits - Anyone Gone There?

Rdodson

I heard clips of both a Steel String Singer 005 circuit (Eric Johnson) and a "Ripper" circuit and both have me gassing. Anyone here gone down this deep rabbit hole?

I have a BE100 for my gainier needs. And I love that. But I play more and more "on the edge" these days.

Clips:
Steel String Singer 005 (think early Eric Johnson:)

Ripper (clean and bluesy style - listen to the harmonic content:)

ive owned a fuchs tds 100 and 50. both were amazing amps that i wish i still had.

there is something about the power in the cleans that other amps just don't have.

Wasn't there a Van Wheelden Twinkleland or something Dumbleque for sale in the classifieds here not long ago ?

EDIT: Yes, fenderbender4 in MN has it...$5800 shipped NO trades.

That first clip is a great cop of one of the tones that EJ got with his SSS but that has a fuzzface and maybe more involved. My fuzzy memory also remembers a Tubescreamer with the SSS but it wasn't on stage (rackbox underneath) so maybe it was always on?

Check this out: At 3:53-ish he steps forward and hits the 'loop' button on the channel he is currently playing. Then watch later as he walks back to turn down the loop as he wants to fade out. That's the SSS he's turning down. So you can see he's using the SSS for that dirty rhythm tone a lot. Kind of sounds like it could have a TS. And btw, the reverse lead is sick. :yes:

IIRC, it was Dumble ODS types that got Ceriatone started. If not, they were some of the earliest amps he did.

It sounds like the Ripper is an ODS type which is very different than a SSS. The ODS had a very Fender-based clean and the OD was what Randall Smith based the Mark series amp on. But the Dumble version is better at Robben Ford type tones. The SSS were more rare and were massive sounding clean machines, no 'OD' circuit per se. Also, there were several different versions of ODS based on that customers needs. Some way more gainy than others (check out the different Ceriatone models for some info on that). There have been more than few boocoo expensive copies over the years. So there should be lots of options for you take for a spin.

I built a SSS-style amp a while back. For clean tones it's beautiful; very hi-fi sounding to me and the reverb is some of the best I've heard. It's different than Fender-style cleans to me and I think it's the clarity and break-up. Maybe it's just the way I tweaked it, but mine basically doesn't break up without a pedal.

sutepaj":2pmugk15 said:
Rdodson":2pmugk15 said:
I have Fender, love them...they don’t sound like that.

And you can't play like Eric Johnson. Maybe that's the key?

Have you heard me play? Furthermore, I wasn't referencing EJ, I was referencing the clips I posted above.

Why would you decide to be a jerk to me on my thread? I am completely and utterly confused by your decision. I simply said - and I have played both real and replica Dumble circuits (I live in Dallas and the DGS/DIGF used to be the biggest gathering of Dumble amplifiers yearly) - that I love my Fender amp, but it doesn't sound like what I posted. I don't think I'm being controversial.

Sheesh. No, I don't play exactly like Eric, but I am a fair player on a good day.

Do you have the cathode follower feeding into the power amp like 005, or is it more like 002?

I'd love to hear some clips. I think that particular amp is such a unique design.

GuitarGoat":25n32p7t said:
I built a SSS-style amp a while back. For clean tones it's beautiful; very hi-fi sounding to me and the reverb is some of the best I've heard. It's different than Fender-style cleans to me and I think it's the clarity and break-up. Maybe it's just the way I tweaked it, but mine basically doesn't break up without a pedal.

Ron, I have no experience with Dumble's, but Dustin Scott Beasley is a Dallas local amp builder friend of mine, he was always building them.

Let me know if you wan't to connect with him, he's real good guy.

I have owned a few clones, and one special feature (on the great ones) is a clean tone that blooms...kind of like feedback...it's just gorgeous sounding and FEELING. Also, I have played a couple that go from the Robben Ford and Larry Carlton lead tones all the way to fairly aggressive, hard charging Marshall distortion (again, with that "bloom" to the notes).

Definitely worth a try!

Oh that’s cool I’d like that! Just PM me. Thanks, man!

CNutz":2dl25zoz said:
Ron, I have no experience with Dumble's, but Dustin Scott Beasley is a Dallas local amp builder friend of mine, he was always building them.

Let me know if you wan't to connect with him, he's real good guy.

It is that “bloom” and harmonic complexity that is so appealing and addictive. I played a Tone King that was sort of like that, but Indidnt care for the tweed-like drive channel.

Lavely":2nn6ybvb said:
I have owned a few clones, and one special feature (on the great ones) is a clean tone that blooms...kind of like feedback...it's just gorgeous sounding and FEELING. Also, I have played a couple that go from the Robben Ford and Larry Carlton lead tones all the way to fairly aggressive, hard charging Marshall distortion (again, with that "bloom" to the notes).

Definitely worth a try!

Rdodson":dvo191st said:
Do you have the cathode follower feeding into the power amp like 005, or is it more like 002?

I'd love to hear some clips. I think that particular amp is such a unique design.

GuitarGoat":dvo191st said:

I'd have to double-check my notes, but I believe it does not have the cathode follower feeding the power amp. I didn't put the filters in and I used transformers from a Mesa Mark IV, so the power amp ended up quite a bit different than most schematics I've seen (so maybe my experience isn't relevant to the original questions...). I love how it sounds though! Definitely different than your typical Marshalls, Fenders, etc.

Rdodson":20lh0uap said:
sutepaj":20lh0uap said:
Rdodson":20lh0uap said:
I have Fender, love them...they don’t sound like that.

And you can't play like Eric Johnson. Maybe that's the key?

Have you heard me play? Furthermore, I wasn't referencing EJ, I was referencing the clips I posted above.

Why would you decide to be a jerk to me on my thread? I am completely and utterly confused by your decision. I simply said - and I have played both real and replica Dumble circuits (I live in Dallas and the DGS/DIGF used to be the biggest gathering of Dumble amplifiers yearly) - that I love my Fender amp, but it doesn't sound like what I posted. I don't think I'm being controversial.

Sheesh. No, I don't play exactly like Eric, but I am a fair player on a good day.

No, I wasn't trying to be rude. I guess it came off that way. Eric Johnson is just one of the greatest players ever and he could plug into a 15 watt Crate and sound amazing. If you are as good as him then I take it back.

Rdodson":1rkhulgx said:
It is that “bloom” and harmonic complexity that is so appealing and addictive. I played a Tone King that was sort of like that, but Indidnt care for the tweed-like drive channel.

Lavely":1rkhulgx said:

Definitely worth a try!

Agreed, that "bloom" I have only every heard and felt in a D style amp. The Fuchs are amazing and reasonable, I am seriously considering a Ceriatone JM and upgrading some of the components. Hoping the used Mesa I just bought gets me close enough for the $..

And yes you are that good I have seen many of your videos, always a great tone and feel!

Back