Duncan JB vs Suhr Aldrich

NaturalBornBoy

Can anyone enlighten me on the differences between the 2 pups?

Are they so similar that I shouldn't even bother?

I'm looking to overhaul my Japanese, Charvel San Dimas and I want to start with the pups first. I have the stock JB and '59 combo in it now.

The Aldrich is a bit more balanced, less of that bright high-mid tone. So less of a JB, in a sense. Seems a bit hotter to me, too, but I never did a proper A-B.

For a Mahogany body id recommend the SH-5 Duncan Custom, or for Floyd Rose the TB-5 Duncan Custom Trembucker.

May not be the best fit for Alder or Basswood.

Reactions: PDC
Aldrich is one of the best consistently good bridge pickups around. Tighter bass than the JB, a little fatter on the high strings when you get into the doodles up top. Awesome crunch to drive Marshall type circuits. Love it.

I had an Aldrich in an older USA Washburn MG series, it was too bright and shrill..and I like bright. I couldn't seem to dial it out. I think that guitar was Alder. Maybe it was the guitar, I like JBs but I've also heard JBs that sound like ass.

Kapo_Polenton":2rqf84uo said:
Aldrich is one of the best consistently good bridge pickups around. Tighter bass than the JB, a little fatter on the high strings when you get into the doodles up top. Awesome crunch to drive Marshall type circuits. Love it.

The Doodles part made me Laugh out loud.

I can't say anything bad about the Suhr Aldrich Pickups. Like any pickup, it was designed with a certain guitar type/wood type/sound/style in mind and will work best in that family circle. I like the articulation, balance, punch, crispness of attack and the volume roll off on the pickups a lot. I have always had success in using them for heavier applications in set neck Mahogany or Mahogany/Maple guitars. Remember, a great pickup in the wrong application will be disappointing. That doesn't mean the pickup is bad, just not the right fit for what you are trying to accomplish.

I always thought the Suhr Aldrich was a great sounding pickup. I played it in my mahogany Suhr Modern's and a basswood Modern. I just bought two bridge models for my Les Pauls to try.

I'll be the lone voice Duncan on this I guess... I have the Aldrich, and do like those pickups... with that said, the JB + and alder body is a thing of beauty. Leave the JB.

From all the demo vids I've watched, the Aldrich sounds tighter and more compressed than the JB. I'm really liking it tbh.

On a totally different tangent, any of you guys use the DiMarzio PAF 36th Anniversary set?

I know that they're way lower output than the JB/'59 combo but the clips I've heard all sound great. Even in non-LP guitars.

Back