Dustie Waring PRS opinions

gbsmusic

Just curious who has owned one of these and what were your thoughts on it. I have a guy that's interested in making a trade and I don't know anything about them so any opinions would be appreciated.

I get that it's a signature so presumably it's exactly the way the artist wanted it, but I sure wish it had bigger frets and a flatter radius, which I assume a lot of people interested in a Floyd Rose would also want.

I had one and sold it because due to it playing really really well, it was thin and anemic sounding. Now having said that IF you use his active pups and a super overly gained amp it could sound big I suppose. I feel like PRS necks just don't sit deep enough in the body for them to have much resonant tone -just me

I have one (gray black with Floyd) and like it a lot as a working horse guitar. Bought it exactly for that purpose and because imho a Floyd and PRS guitars are not a good match and this one is a rare exception. Had it for just over a year and played it mostly at home, but also took it out for a few gigs. It holds up well compared to my PRS PS, plays great, sounds great, sturdy... I don't like the position of the fine tuners and will change the Floyd, and I'm not sure yet if I will keep the pickups (my other guitars have BNP or EMGs). And the neck radius is something that you either like or hate I guess. Also yes, there might be better deals out there, but it's a proper PRS and the cost/benefit ratio at least is much much better than with PS Models😄 Then again, thinking in cost/benefit is so not Rock'n'Roll, so who cares? Try to get your hands on one, play it and see what it feels like to you... If you like it and if you can afford it then get one. I'm very happy with mine.

(edited for typos)

Last edited:
OP needs to rock that new Ibanez Prestige he just got, (when healed up), and see what a bang for buck shredder with the outstanding Edge bridge does for the PRS gas.. 🤣.. I have a core PRS and know they're nice guitars, but I'd still take a Prestige over a Dusty Waring. Hands down.

I’ve been interested in one for the hard tail, body shape, and 24 frets. I’d really like a core model hard tail Custom 24 someday, but that would obviously be super expensive.

I hate satin finishes, though. I’d rather have gloss black on something like that! That would be awesome.

OP needs to rock that new Ibanez Prestige he just got, (when healed up), and see what a bang for buck shredder with the outstanding Edge bridge does for the PRS gas.. 🤣.. I have a core PRS and know they're nice guitars, but I'd still take a Prestige over a Dusty Waring. Hands down.
Yes I know you of all people know how it goes, always looking around the corner!🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Yes I know you of all people know how it goes, always looking around the corner!🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Yep, I bought another Ibanez!
RG5320CSW_Tilt_Side.jpg

Played a couple, I dig it. Plays and sounds good. The neck isn't much different than 90s CE24s. Tone Shop in Addison has one on clearance for $2g. Was considering it, but got the EVH 78 Eruption and PRS Archon 50 instead. Love that amp.

I had one of them and I liked it in some ways and didn't like it in others. The neck felt nice and the pickups sounded good. I found the neck on mine moved around a lot more than other guitars that I had. I was adjusting the truss rod constantly from home to gig to rehearsal. Sometimes that happens with wood when it isn't properly dried or stored. The fretboard looked like it came from Ikea and felt cheap. I dislike satin finishes after having the one I had as it marred really quickly.

I had one of them and I liked it in some ways and didn't like it in others. The neck felt nice and the pickups sounded good. I found the neck on mine moved around a lot more than other guitars that I had. I was adjusting the truss rod constantly from home to gig to rehearsal. Sometimes that happens with wood when it isn't properly dried or stored. The fretboard looked like it came from Ikea and felt cheap. I dislike satin finishes after having the one I had as it marred really quickly.
I dislike the shine that satin starts leaving where your hand rests. Just bugs me.

I’ve been interested in one for the hard tail, body shape, and 24 frets. I’d really like a core model hard tail Custom 24 someday, but that would obviously be super expensive.

I hate satin finishes, though. I’d rather have gloss black on something like that! That would be awesome.
I am patiently waiting for a hardtail Core Custom 24. The couple I have played, seem to have more thump and attack than the trem models I have owned/played.

I don't really dig Floyd's on PRS's. The Custom 24 Floyd I owned did not last long. But the stoptail Waring Model I played was awesome!

Back