Easily gigable Combo amps

What's this about high gain combos sounding bad?
I didn’t say they sounded bad, I said they suck. Most are 65-75lbs, and that’s if you limit yourself to just one 12” speaker. Awkward to carry (easy to bang up b/c of this), susceptible to heat and vibration…heads are just better in every way IMO.

I've actually thought about Splawn. I had a QR many years ago and it was loud AF!!!!!!!!!!!!! That said, it is a little bit stiff. I'd need that sag modification, but yes, I've thought about splawn. How's the clean channel?

The clean channel is loud and clean. It's not as squishy as some other brands, but it does the job for what I need right now...

The latest Streetrod and Competition are much easier to play than the Quickrod. But even the early Quickrod's are not as stiff as a Fryette Pit Bull or Deliverance amp..

Once I bought an EVH combo many years ago, it's just been the amp for me. Love the Power Scaling feature beyond words. Gets beyond loud if you want as well. All 3 channels sound excellent and the loop is great. Plus the preamp out you can record silent and get excellent tones with an IR loader. It's overall a winner, and has been for years.

5150 combo if your rock or metal guy is easily the best bang for your buck. there is one for 500 used in town on fb that i'm toying with buying. would be my 5th time owning the combo.

i've gigged with my mark IVa 1x12 and a IVb widebody combo before, and both sounded good enough for me.

5150 combo if your rock or metal guy is easily the best bang for your buck. there is one for 500 used in town on fb that i'm toying with buying. would be my 5th time owning the combo.

While I do love my 5150 combo I would never call it easy to transport lmao

IMG_20160612_211210867.jpg

My 3rd Power Kitchen Sink combo is a 1x12 and it is killer. The Hybrid Master Volume is perfect for playing gigs and at home. 40w but plenty loud to keep up with my hard hitting drummer. Pricey but totally worth it!

I absolutely love my Syn30C with a BEBB module. I get a great clean that sits somewhere between a powerful Deluxe and an AC30, I get a versatile clean channel pedal platform (can be set flat, mid-humped, or scooped and can get a little grit), and then the BE channel from Friedman. All midi switchable and an outstanding FX loop.

Once I bought an EVH combo many years ago, it's just been the amp for me. Love the Power Scaling feature beyond words. Gets beyond loud if you want as well. All 3 channels sound excellent and the loop is great. Plus the preamp out you can record silent and get excellent tones with an IR loader. It's overall a winner, and has been for years.
My only difference is I have a head and 1x12 cab but love my EVH amps!! You and I have similar tastes for sure and have always dug the same type of tone.

I have a Boogie MarkV35. If you know how to use a Boogie, it's hard to beat. My "real amps" rule it for sure, but, ... it's still great.

Ton's of tones, plenty loud and you can use the cab clone because it is great also, it sounds like the amp when sent through the P.A. Two channels, with three preamps on each channel. Boost built in that is an independent master volume. Not for the guy with all the knobs on 5.

If you want a certain sound, don't go here. Fiddle fingers only. Too many options for someone who likes one tone only.

The choice of guitar and speaker could possibly effect the overall tone.

Last edited:
I absolutely love my Syn30C with a BEBB module. I get a great clean that sits somewhere between a powerful Deluxe and an AC30, I get a versatile clean channel pedal platform (can be set flat, mid-humped, or scooped and can get a little grit), and then the BE channel from Friedman. All midi switchable and an outstanding FX loop.
My RM100 died a couple days ago. Tubes light up but no sound. I’m very familiar with the Synergy system. If the Syn30C had two module bays, I’d go for it!

Back