Egnater Seminar Today

tlingen

How is the Egnater seminar going so far and what did you all do on the first day? Was it just building on day one? I'm going next weekend and am starting to get excited to build something :D Have fun!

It was a great time with a very nice group of people. The first day we assembled our amps and Bruce tested them before we plugged in and made noise. Today, Bruce explained the different circuits and how they worked then showed us some simple component swaps that have the most effect on the voicing of the amp. One of the best parts was at the end when he told us some funny stories about artists he’s worked with in the past. The facility that it was hosted in was outstanding and really added to the experience. I was kind of sad it was over; I really didn’t want to leave.

Thanks for the info and I'm glad you had a great time. Were you happy with how your amp turned out and do you see yourself modding it much? What time were to done today?

For me, I don't think it needs any additional mods; it sounds great like a hot rodded Marshall should. I may experiment with it down the road but I'd be more interested in coming up with a way to switch between the clean input and the high gain input than changing the voicing. We finished up about 4:00 today.

Great time. Nice meeting you, Marco. As well as meeting a bunch of other cool guys... and Bruce. Bruce couldn't have been cooler or more helpful,what a great guy!

MarcoR":mqoq9b81 said:
We finished up about 4:00 today.

I'm really surprised you finished that early. Maybe I'm just slow, but I expected to be working until 6 or 7 next weekend.

Koop":1rb7jqvx said:
MarcoR":1rb7jqvx said:
We finished up about 4:00 today.

I'm really surprised you finished that early. Maybe I'm just slow, but I expected to be working until 6 or 7 next weekend.

Well, the first night we were there until 9PM.

drewiv":2i87epvz said:
Great time. Nice meeting you, Marco. As well as meeting a bunch of other cool guys... and Bruce. Bruce couldn't have been cooler or more helpful,what a great guy!

It was very nice meeting you Drew as well! And it was a lot of fun talking about modules at dinner with you and Rob. Bruce was very cool and so down to earth.

So...how does the amp sound? I'm getting jacked about building one this weekend.

Koop":2hs4lwmz said:
So...how does the amp sound? I'm getting jacked about building one this weekend.

One word, awesome! Bruce knows what he's doing, you'll be very happy with the results.

MarcoR":3n75tg3u said:
drewiv":3n75tg3u said:

It was very nice meeting you Drew as well! And it was a lot of fun talking about modules at dinner with you and Rob. Bruce was very cool and so down to earth.

You guys should of come across the river for dinner! :)

The second 2012 seminar concluded today. Bruce and Terry (Teri?) did a great job, good people and I really enjoyed spending some time with them. The group of guys attending were also a great bunch, mostly gigging musicians getting their feet wet in tube amp technology. I think I was the only one with previous amp building experience.

I spent a couple of hours this evening dialing in tones with the amp. I'm old school, play an 18 watt Marshall clone, a Hiwatt style amp and recently built a Trainwreck inspired amp. So, none of them are high gain monsters (with the exception of the Trainwreck which needs to played at high sound pressure levels to drive the output tubes into distortion). The cascading gain stages of this build feature lots of preamp distortion and it's taking a bit of twiddling to get the sound I want, I'm warming up to it quickly though. Very forgiving...LOL...you can get away with some slop with this much gain. :LOL: :LOL:

I didn't take time for pictures, didn't even ask Bruce if it was kosher. Put my head down and started breathing solder fumes. All day Saturday was spent assembling the amps. On Sunday Bruce put on a lecture explaining what goes on in the circuit. Great info, I had an "aha" moment or two.

Thanks again to Bruce, Terry and all who labored behind the scenes. I'm exhausted, I can only imagine how much energy they put into this.

After twiddling knobs for a couple of days I realized the high sensitivity input doesn't match my sensibilities so much. Using the low sensitivity I'm able to dial the sound I want to hear. Great fun!

Back