Eliminate EVH 515OIII 5O-watt 6L6 hum?

I will also say my 5153 50w has never really been that noisy. No worse than any other high gain amp. I would suggest you spray out every jack with duster and plug a cable in and out like 10-20 times. Every jack... even the ones you dont use. Turn all the knobs back and forth multiple times. I would even suggest plugging the tubes in and out a few times each. A dusty connection that is weak can cause all kinds of weird issues.

I had something happen recently where the green/blue channels seemed to have no gain and volume. I am not 100% what I did to fix it, but I think spraying out the input jack went a long way.
Sorry brother, just seeing this! Yeah I know you and I had some of the same amps back in the day and have talked about our tones and amps from time to time.

It is hard to describe what I'm hearing but is beyond typical amp noise from too much gain, pedals, etc. When I hit the "effects" button on the EVH footswitch, it sounds like a jet airliner at the gate ready for takeoff. It is like an AM radio. It is worse on the gain channels but even noisy on clean. It should be dead quiet on clean.

I like your idea about the input jack and cleaning it. I really should take it out of the headshell and spray the pots probably.

I love this amp and at thr end of the day, I could definitely live with the noise. The amp is that awesome and my sound. The blue channel just sounds so great, even with just a 1x12. I'm going to keep trying to figure this out though. I really think some of the amps have some kind of issue out of the factory because some folks get a dead quiet amp and some have issues.

Sorry brother, just seeing this! Yeah I know you and I had some of the same amps back in the day and have talked about our tones and amps from time to time.

It is hard to describe what I'm hearing but is beyond typical amp noise from too much gain, pedals, etc. When I hit the "effects" button on the EVH footswitch, it sounds like a jet airliner at the gate ready for takeoff. It is like an AM radio. It is worse on the gain channels but even noisy on clean. It should be dead quiet on clean.

I like your idea about the input jack and cleaning it. I really should take it out of the headshell and spray the pots probably.

I love this amp and at thr end of the day, I could definitely live with the noise. The amp is that awesome and my sound. The blue channel just sounds so great, even with just a 1x12. I'm going to keep trying to figure this out though. I really think some of the amps have some kind of issue out of the factory because some folks get a dead quiet amp and some have issues.
The 50w has a solid state loop, so there is not much to go wrong, unless they put a bad/fake opamp IC in it or something.

If you run the preamp out (not the effects send) out to another amp, does it have the same noise?

The 50w has a solid state loop, so there is not much to go wrong, unless they put a bad/fake opamp IC in it or something.

If you run the preamp out (not the effects send) out to another amp, does it have the same noise?
Oh man, I didn't know that. Wow. I haven't tried that. Can I test anything using the headphones out?

UPDATE:

So I purchased some (Matched Pair) JJ Electronics Tesla 12AX7 ECC83-S Vacuum Tubes and popped them into my 515OIII 5O-watt 6L6.

PROBLEM SOLVED!

I do appreciate everyone here for their advice, and as it took me this long to respond due to the Thanksgiving Holiday) I hope you all enjoyed your holiday as well!
Good job being thorough and checking the tubes.
Gate STILL should go in the loop.

EVH notorious using cheaper tubes - keeps prices down but can make amps noisy to where, like you, the user assumes its broke.

Back