ENGL Ironball FX loop issues

Coma

Just picked up a used Ironball. Killer amp, love it, but the FX loop is acting up.

Plugged in a Boss NS2 and it causes more squeals than it removes.
Plugged in an MXR 10-band EQ and the LEDs on it started flickering. Looked around online and according to MXR, this is what happens when the input signal is too hot and the pedal starts to clip.
I've tested both pedals in other amps and they work fine there, so they're not faulty.

My guess is the signal coming through the FX loop is way too hot.
I've tried contacting ENGL but haven't had any response so far.

Anyone recognise this issue? What can I do about it (short of sending it to a tech)?

Coma":143bo65r said:
Just picked up a used Ironball. Killer amp, love it, but the FX loop is acting up.

Plugged in a Boss NS2 and it causes more squeals than it removes.
Plugged in an MXR 10-band EQ and the LEDs on it started flickering. Looked around online and according to MXR, this is what happens when the input signal is too hot and the pedal starts to clip.
I've tested both pedals in other amps and they work fine there, so they're not faulty.

My guess is the signal coming through the FX loop is way too hot.
I've tried contacting ENGL but haven't had any response so far.

Anyone recognise this issue? What can I do about it (short of sending it to a tech)?
How high are your channel volumes? With the SE EL34 I found that I need to run the channel volumes below 2 o' clock...otherwise it seemed to dull the sound in the fx-loop.
I believe the Ironball's FX-Loop is located pre-master. I never had this issue with mine btw.

Can't be of much help but I never had an issue with mine when I ran my GT-10 in 4 cable method.

Speeddemon":pypr6fks said:
How high are your channel volumes? With the SE EL34 I found that I need to run the channel volumes below 2 o' clock...otherwise it seemed to dull the sound in the fx-loop.
I believe the Ironball's FX-Loop is located pre-master. I never had this issue with mine btw.

Oh I never run the OD channel that high. Bedroom levels only. I live in an apartment and I'd like to keep the neighbours from freaking out too much :)

BTW, I see you're running yours through the Harley Benton 212V. How do you like it? I'm thinking of springing for one.

The HB Vintage cab sounds great with the Ironball, but even better after I swapped one of the speakers.
Both a G12-65 (Heritage) or the G12-K85 sound great, for some added low-end heft.

After further tinkering, it seems to be playing nicely with my EQ. But not with my gate. Super weird, I have the same pedal for my EVH and I used to use it on my JR Terror and there were never any problems.
Hopefully I'll get a response from Engl within the next few days.

Back