England V30s Chinese V30s

jmgman69

How can I tell them apart??Sorry ,I know this has probably been beat down with a stick a few times,I'm just too lazy to search :D

roadifier":1zifdm87 said:
on the speaker it will say, made in chine or made in England lol
Not always.

Look at the small white sticker on the side of the magnet. If there is a "50" on there, it's MIC.

squank":rgtepbov said:
roadifier":rgtepbov said:
Not always.

Look at the small white sticker on the side of the magnet. If there is a "50" on there, it's MIC.

You sure?

I have a set of V30s that I bought prior to Celestion moving to China that have 50 on the sticker.

joolzriff":5v52x435 said:
no tonal difference if thats a concern

Oh boy here we go... I heard a pretty big difference when I compared them but who cares , the man wants to know how to physically tell them apart.

If it does have a small white sticker see if it says england.

the4thlast1":3fbmltmw said:
joolzriff":3fbmltmw said:
no tonal difference if thats a concern

Oh boy here we go... I heard a pretty big difference when I compared them but who cares , the man wants to know how to physically tell them apart.

If it does have a small white sticker see if it says england.

Not sure how anyone could hear a difference considering the same parts are used. Perhaps one speaker you heard was broken in more than the other?

some dude":2e9e1eot said:
squank":2e9e1eot said:
roadifier":2e9e1eot said:
Not always.

You sure?

I have a set of V30s that I bought prior to Celestion moving to China that have 50 on the sticker.
Mine too. It says 50, and made in Engalnd

roadifier":3t94n3qm said:
some dude":3t94n3qm said:
squank":3t94n3qm said:
roadifier":3t94n3qm said:
Not always.

You sure?

Mine too. It says 50, and made in Engalnd
Usually, if there is a 50 on the sticker, the label simply says Ipswitch, England, not Made in England.

IMO, it's kind of a sneaky way for Celestion to avoid the "Made in China" label.

Aren't the English made V30s like 15-20 years old by now? As I understand it they don't have lines on two continents (heard China has the machinery/tooling from the England plant) and the V30 went overseas eons ago.

Anybody with enough facts to validate (or not)?

I believe it was lolzgreg who put up comparison clips of the two, and there was a HUGE difference! More so than the difference between other brands of v30 clones/celestions even... :scared:

Bob Savage":1sqmmyh3 said:
Aren't the English made V30s like 15-20 years old by now? As I understand it they don't have lines on two continents (heard China has the machinery/tooling from the England plant) and the V30 went overseas eons ago.

Speaker assembly moved to China sometime around 2006.

some dude":2xjntepn said:
Bob Savage":2xjntepn said:

Interesting, because I would swear these threads existed on HC a number of years before 2006, and the V30 had already been in China for some 10+ years. I was a part of some of these type threads as was Ed Degenaro who may be able to back me up on this.

some dude":2gr8tng5 said:
Bob Savage":2gr8tng5 said:

I heard 1999.

Not sure when, but this is a quote from Rick Skillman (Celestion Sales Manager)

"Hi,
Celestion has been owned by a large Chinese company (Gold Peak Electronics) for about 12 years. Over the last number of years, we've moved a lot of production over there because of cost, plus there brand new purpose built facility is nearly 1/2 million square feet. Some of the metal work is now done there, but the soft parts that dictate your tone are UK made (in the mentioned models and a few more). The quality is also higher in the Chinese plant because we can keep up with the orders. We may average about 3 bad speakers for every 2,880 made which is pretty rockin'!! Especially when compared to the 2 or 3 bad per paket (60 speakers) before. We also have improved the UK products because we're not as over loaded.
That's the lowdown.

Cheers
Rick"

:LOL: :LOL: Ya,I dont really care about what sounds better as to how to tell them apart.I have 8 of these and nowhere do they say made in anywhere.The white sticker says Celestion 50
T3904 16 ohm vintage 30 20FN
and the cones say 020 444 but my best guess would be china as they don't say made in england anywhere. :confused:

Ayrton":33qxy446 said:
Not sure when, but this is a quote from Rick Skillman (Celestion Sales Manager)

"Hi,
Celestion has been owned by a large Chinese company (Gold Peak Electronics) for about 12 years. Over the last number of years, we've moved a lot of production over there because of cost, plus there brand new purpose built facility is nearly 1/2 million square feet. Some of the metal work is now done there, but the soft parts that dictate your tone are UK made (in the mentioned models and a few more). The quality is also higher in the Chinese plant because we can keep up with the orders. We may average about 3 bad speakers for every 2,880 made which is pretty rockin'!! Especially when compared to the 2 or 3 bad per paket (60 speakers) before. We also have improved the UK products because we're not as over loaded.
That's the lowdown.

Cheers
Rick"

What year is this quote? I'm almost certain I read this or something very similar around 2006 or earlier. Isn't Rick the guy that hung on HC, lives in So Cal (Norco?) and hired on at Celestion in Sales around 2005 or so?

Edit: I see you don't know what year... nevermind. :)

Back