Ever fall out of love playing guitar?

I just kinda shifted my free time back to reading and Arcade machines / Pinball machines.
Funny that passion was there prior to playing guitar. The new smart tv with Netflix vudu Hulu
Ju jitsu.... 😂
I keep getting sucked in these shows so many good ones out there. But I still got a good rig.
Used to buy gear like a mad man That always had me chomping at the bit to play.
Even my best bud who played drums with me hasn’t touched his kit over a year.
Maybe one day it might roll back around.

I just kinda shifted my free time back to reading and Arcade machines / Pinball machines.
Funny that passion was there prior to playing guitar. The new smart tv with Netflix vudu Hulu
Ju jitsu.... 😂
I keep getting sucked in these shows so many good ones out there. But I still got a good rig.
Used to buy gear like a mad man That always had me chomping at the bit to play.
Even my best bud who played drums with me hasn’t touched his kit over a year.
Maybe one day it might roll back around.

Yes, what I forgot to say is I have other artistic endeavors that keep my artistic side satisfied. For anybody interested... and this isn't spam since I know none of you losers would buy in the first place... :)

https://www.SavageEngraving.comhttps://InstinctivelySavage.etsy.com

The entire Nineties thru 2016. My wife got me back into it. Had 1 guitar and a line 6 practice amp when we met.

I have amassed 10 guitars (couple PRS cores, Jackson USA, etc). 2 Monomyth Marshall Superleads, 5153, quad cortex, splawn 4x12 (all in my living room- PS100) She encourages me to buy gear. Basically how I got back into it and my bad case of GAS :).

After double carpal tunnel surgery Friday, I am going to look for a local guitar teacher and take lessons.

In 45+ years ive had times i took periods off like the 90's up to 10 years to run a business & raise kids but no ive never "not loved" guitar.
Having a wife or spouse that supports your music is crucial because ive had some that did not and that was shitty.

....She encourages me to buy gear. Basically how I got back into it and my bad case of GAS :).

It's great when you have a significant other that "gets it", and doesn't freak out when you buy new gear. My wife is like that. She's always told me that as long as the bills are paid, she doesn't care what I buy. And I remind her of that often.. LOL

I was in a metal band and we had time booked for our first demo. A week before our studio time I severed tendons in my right index finger. Several failed surgeries later I decided to go to college (for what I did not yet know). I didn't play at all and sold everything except the Kramer in my sig. My main guitars were an early S/N Jackson RR Custom and a very early Kelly. Both of which I had custom made. Wish I hadn't sold that red metal flake RR Custom with string-thru bridge.

All thru college and for years after I didn't really play but I pecked at it every now and then. Then some coworkers wanted to start a blues band and I figured I could handle that and get to hang with friends in the shitty bars we were playing...that whole thing. Very low pressure gig. Sounded like fun and was for years...until it wasn't fun. So we broke and that's probably it for me with bands. But I have MSB now...shitty bar not needed.

100%. I went from doing it for fun to doing it for money and running a studio. It quickly sucked the fun out of it. I did that for a while and did a career pivot. I didn’t even listen to music for 6 months and didn’t play guitar/drums for 3 years. Then I got back into it because I wanted to give it another shot and it was for my own motivations and not for work. It became fun again and now I’m here flipping gear and practicing guitar or drums 3-5 times a week. I think burn out is common, especially if it’s a group activity (and you have no group) or, if you’re complacent and not finding things inspiring you to want to play and learn new things.

I felt content with my skills and then found artists that made me go “oh shit that’s cool” and it made me want to learn how to play or do it. Finding new artists and inspiration helps

I still play whenever I can. I still enjoy it. For me, playing in a band, rehearsing and playing live keeps the enjoyment up. I started back to doing some recording again which is great as well.

However, for sure there are those days or for some weeks, when you are just simply uninspired. I've changed up some gear here and there to keep the juices flowing as well. My family is very supportive of me playing. Music is good for the brain!

I have several time over the years- usually due to a soured band breakup.
The last few years though, it's just been a age/life thing.. lots of my hobbies/interest have lost their luster. Plus a wrist & finger injury on my fret hand cause physical pain when I play.. its not like it was.
But sometimes I get the itch and play through it.

If you don't need $$, don't sell your stuff, cuz when you want to get back into it, you can., I learned that the hard way in the 90's when i sold off some awesome gear (now collectible and big $$ - Hamer Cali, Kramer Niteswan, Kramer Pacers, EBMM EVH;'s, modded Marshalls, Jubilee, MkIIC+ (3 of them), 2 metaltronix heads (consecutive serial numbers), ENGL Straight head and combo), Prepro Charvel).

Just take a break if you need it..

My wife totally supported my playing. Let me buy what I wanted. And I did. Haha
Every Saturday was like a mini party concert out in our garage. It’s set up like a patio inside. We would jam. Invite family friends out. Wife had her friends couples come out. We did a big set. More fun I ever had. That was several years back. Almost every weekend though

This is a great thread. I love reading everyone's stories. I may be 56 years old but I never plan on growing up 😆 🤣 😂 I started playing at 14 and throughout my life playing guitar has always been a part of it. Had my 15 minutes of fame playing Hollywood in the early 80s but got married young.... started a family young and had to get my priorities straight. Mouths to feed and rent to be paid puts things in perspective but I've always had a guitar and amp with me along the way. In the early days money was tight and couldn't afford high end gear. Later in life money got better and affording better gear helped fuel the fire. My search for tone has kept me playing too. I go through months of not picking up the guitar then something inspires me to pick it up and the cycle starts again. I want to ad , my wife who I met in the early 80s has always supported my music hobby which is so awesome. If I want a piece of gear she actually wants me to have it too. Playing guitar is part of my DNA and even though I don't play all time like I used to I'm sure I'll play until my hands don't allow any longer. Hopefully that's not going to be for a long time. Cheers guys. 🍻 Keep the stories coming.

Played in 3 bands total from 78-2014, when that ended my inspiration to play dwindled slowly. I still play 2-3 times a month but the whole reason for me to learn to play was to play in a band. Playing by yourself sucks imo.

It's great when you have a significant other that "gets it", and doesn't freak out when you buy new gear. My wife is like that. She's always told me that as long as the bills are paid, she doesn't care what I buy. And I remind her of that often.. LOL
Yep. I am very lucky. Her older bro fronted a very popular band in Miami back in the day and his son is a great guitar player who plays out often.

When I die, her kids (well her 1st) get's to inherit some very cool guitar shit :)

I used to learn songs, play with a band.
I had a period in the early 2000s where I didn't like it anymore. I didn't hardly touch a guitar for a long time.
Got back into it mid 2000s.
It's a hobby. I like to make stuff up. Most of the time it's just making noise. It's mental masturbation, lol.
It' something I do for myself, that I can get lost in for a little while, wind down from work on, wake up in the morning to, or just take my mind off of other crap.
Like I made this when I was feeling kind of bummed, directly after I sold a Harley I had for 17 years:
https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=14271704
It doesn't have to be great. Sometimes it's just a minute long soundscape.
Sometimes it's an 8 minute jam over a couple different loops.
Sometimes it's a song for a family member or friend, last one being a song for my sister's bday that's goofy af. It's funk meets death metal:
https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=14330707
There is a day here or there that goes by where I don't pick the guitar up. There are days where I play for hours.
Flipping gear has been a big part of that.
It's probably a waste of time and money. But I enjoy it.

I have been playing on and off since 1978. I have taken breaks off from time to time upto 6 months at a time. Life happens. I do regret some

I'm on my 3rd spell of guitar apathy right now.
A couple of things happened where I just no longer care enough to be bothered to even plug in.
Hell,my favorite rigs are torn down and just bricks in a wall.
Maybe this one won't last as long as the other two.

I do regret some gear sales. A super lead, d60, hiwatt, 1977 lespaul , keep some stuff cause some day the urge returns

Back