EVH 50w doing 80's solos

lettmusic

So I got the EVH biased at 40ma, fixed the original speaker jack. Boy, it does make a difference. Here's a vid, my take on some 80s solos:

Fixed the speaker jack? How so? I thought it was cool that they made the main jack to where it can be run without a cable ala Rivera. No damage should I accidentally power up without a cab connected.

Tuckerbomb":2hzn8muh said:
Fixed the speaker jack? How so? I thought it was cool that they made the main jack to where it can be run without a cable ala Rivera. No damage should I accidentally power up without a cab connected.
I had issues with mine, it was only working on one jack. Had to get a new one install, but it just doesn't sound the same, so I had an EVH authorized tech fix the original jack and put it back in.

What is up with that backing track for Superstitious??? lol all over the place and the notes were wrong.

So is that the amp direct? I find it sounds a tad fizzy for direct mic'ed?

For constructive criticism, I'd say watch the overuse of chromatic scales when doing fast runs as it will make anyone sound like Kerry King and not in any key. Just food for thought!

Wowzer... most of that sounded like a cat being strangled if I'm being honest... Bends were killing me...

Steve

sah5150":34so65k6 said:
Wowzer... most of that sounded like a cat being strangled if I'm being honest... Bends were killing me...

Steve

Steve, we're trying to be constructive here at Rig Talk! Not everyone has chops for days but timing and some form of structure are always useful tools for lead players to work on when doing clips for others to see.

Kapo_Polenton":10ca0kad said:
sah5150":10ca0kad said:

Steve

Steve, we're trying to be constructive here at Rig Talk! Not everyone has chops for days but timing and some form of structure are always useful tools for lead players to work on when doing clips for others to see.
Hmmm.... I never got the notice on being constructive here... ;)

I usually don't say anything if I don't like something, but this was particularly offensive to my ears so I felt compelled to comment.

I figure when you post a video of your playing up on YouTube and then link it here to get more people to watch/listen, you pretty much have to let the chips fall where they may. I'm certainly not offended if someone hates my clips. It just makes me want to get better... or... I just disagree... :)

Steve

As a full time musician and guitar teacher I'd like to add some constructive criticism -

Try to work on playing your licks in time to the song and not to disregard the rhythmic aspect and also, when you're bending notes, try to bend them to a SPECIFIC PITCH and not just anywhere! Your slow playing at the beginning of the Smooth solo was ok, so work on slowing stuff down and building from there.

I have a feeling you've learnt to shred before learning to bend notes properly and play in time which are way more important.

Good luck with your playing for the future, hope that's helped a bit!

Like sah5150, if I don't really care for something I don't go to the trouble of posting thoughts...but that said, I think you've posted some original stuff that I definitely preferred to these solo takes. Be good! (=

Everything in this world is better when the truth is being told...and the truth hurts sometimes. It doesnt make you a bad person...it just makes you...'honest'. I think that is a good thing

just sayin...

thanks guys. I appreciate the inputs and certainly do not take offense to any constructive criticism.
Certain things I do agree with, certain things i don't. Part of being a musician is being able to take criticism, right?

I thought the premise of the vid was just to showcase the amp, not the player?

Where are the comments on the amp?

If we want to get our musical corks out, I'm pretty sure that a few players on this board could shred through any progression while channeling Miles Davis' modal days with the end result giving "wrong" (reference Kapo) notes but theoretically be sound.

Derek

It's very refreshing to see some honesty on this board. I love EVH's Beat It solo.... I suggest the OP listen to it (carefully) about 50-100 times.

1375766606167.jpg

It's good that you can be open to criticism..lots of good points made here. Mine was to watch the phrasing and use of random notes, others mentioned timing and bends. I agree that too many people learn to "shred" before they learn expression and feeling. If you listen to John Norum (seeing as you played some Europe) you'll notice that he can shred but also allows for some space between the notes with bigger bends and a nice wide vibrato. That would help you out tons.

I'm also still interested in the recording chain as that amp sounded like it was going direct or recorded at really low volume. Biased hotter or not, at low volumes with that gain you are still gonna be in fizz city.

Viesczy":251edhw7 said:
I thought the premise of the vid was just to showcase the amp, not the player?

Where are the comments on the amp?

If we want to get our musical corks out, I'm pretty sure that a few players on this board could shred through any progression while channeling Miles Davis' modal days with the end result giving "wrong" (reference Kapo) notes but theoretically be sound.

Derek
To be honest, it's a bit hard to comment on what the amp sounds like when your ears are being tortured with out of tune bends, copious open string noise and out of time, poorly executed, random bursts of chromatic speed noise.

If you want me to comment on the amp, play a few chords/riffs and call it a day, if you're gonna take me on a tour of "80s" guitar solos, execute them reasonably well or you're gonna get comments that have nothing to do with the sound of the amp.

Just my 2 cents... Looking forward to pt. 2! :rock:

Steve

I won't say anything that hasn't been said but the amp sounded just okay. I know that amp does sound good so keep working on mic placement. No matter what, keep playing if it makes you happy. I am no where near the player the majority of the guys on this board are but I simply love to play. Keep practicing and playing! :thumbsup:

I agree ,to me the biggest thing is phrasing ,timing keep it flowing and interesting. That to me was more just like a textbook exercise..

go watch the video where Paul gilbert talks about rythmic soloing

Back