EVH 5150 III Help

Metlupass2

All the sudden my 50 watt red channel has no balls and sounds super thin. I normally keep the gain low but now even all the way up it doesn't sound normal.

It sounds like if you have a bad or loose input jack on your guitar.

Ive swapped all the preamp tubes, checked and cleaned sockets but nada. Blue and green channels work like normal and I am not using the footswitch to change channels.

If the blue channel sounds good, and you have changed out v2-v4, then it is probably going to be something very simple. The preamp tubes work in series. So turn on your amp, and with the shields removed, look at all the preamp tubes. If they are all glowing, then this isn't the problem. Cuz i am assuming you have the channel volume turned up enough on it with gain, since channel three has it's own eq.

Smashedguitarist":1jqbifw8 said:
If the blue channel sounds good, and you have changed out v2-v4, then it is probably going to be something very simple. The preamp tubes work in series. So turn on your amp, and with the shields removed, look at all the preamp tubes. If they are all glowing, then this isn't the problem. Cuz i am assuming you have the channel volume turned up enough on it with gain, since channel three has it's own eq.
How well a preamp tube glows has nothing to do with if it is good or not

Giga.Blast":1xwaofce said:
Appears you've tried the basics to begin with the preamp tubes. You're sure the power amp tubes are all glowing similarly to one another too? Based on your location have ever you looked into this music repair shop they appear reliable from their website? https://www.thirdcoastguitar.com/amp-repair

I take all my guitars and amps to Chicago Fret Works it I'm hoping this is something stupid.

Metlupass2":ly14v4yf said:
All the sudden my 50 watt red channel has no balls and sounds super thin. I normally keep the gain low but now even all the way up it doesn't sound normal.

Ive swapped all the preamp tubes, checked and cleaned sockets but nada. Blue and green channels work like normal and I am not using the footswitch to change channels.
I had a similar issue with mine a while back. Try cleaning all the jacks including the FS and loop

Smashedguitarist":r9iy6uj6 said:

I've replaced them all and over again. I've tapped on me and no popping so tubes are all good. Channel volume is up.

LP Freak":2d4282wi said:
Metlupass2":2d4282wi said:

I had a similar issue with mine a while back. Try cleaning all the jacks including the FS

I cleaned all the pots and jacks. I'm not using the footswitch. I'm switching via the front buttons.

Metlupass2":3pgjxqgc said:
LP Freak":3pgjxqgc said:
Metlupass2":3pgjxqgc said:

I had a similar issue with mine a while back. Try cleaning all the jacks including the FS

I cleaned all the pots and jacks. I'm not using the footswitch. I'm switching via the front buttons.
Ok, throw it in the garbage and buy a new one

LP Freak":2pjwc08r said:
Metlupass2":2pjwc08r said:
LP Freak":2pjwc08r said:
Metlupass2":2pjwc08r said:

Ok, throw it in the garbage and buy a new one

Damn really? OK.

Metlupass2":lmuh35d7 said:
LP Freak":lmuh35d7 said:
Metlupass2":lmuh35d7 said:

Have you tried it with the footswitch?? Wasn't there some relay issues with some of these??

So, you replaced ALL 6 preamp tubes with known good ones?? Still sounds like a preamp tube.

Not sure if this will come across like I'm explaining. The gain is up high and it sounds super thin. The other day I wouldnt bother going past 1/4 on the gain.

napalmdeath":3jjxxuwm said:
Metlupass2":3jjxxuwm said:
LP Freak":3jjxxuwm said:
Metlupass2":3jjxxuwm said:

Have you tried it with the footswitch?? Wasn't there some relay issues with some of these??

So, you replaced ALL 6 preamp tubes with known good ones?? Still sounds like a preamp tube.

All 7

Metlupass2":1ghfhvss said:
napalmdeath":1ghfhvss said:
LP Freak":1ghfhvss said:

All 7

Plug in the foot switch.

LP Freak":3c4co4sq said:
Smashedguitarist":3c4co4sq said:
How well a preamp tube glows has nothing to do with if it is good or not

When preamp tubes are ran in series, it means if one isn't plugged in, or a filament is burned out, then the second tube will not work also. there are 3 1/2 preamp tubes that run the red channel. The preamp glow may not be the end all be all test, but it is one step in the process of this particular amp. Especially since only one channel is being affected. Being that he had already replaced the tubes once, i didn't think the preamp tubes were bad again, but maybe if v3 and v4 weren't glowing it would mean that they were out of the circuit, which would take the "balls" out of channel 3.

Metlupass2":6msjrtg4 said:

Not sure if this will come across like I'm explaining. The gain is up high and it sounds super thin. The other day I wouldnt bother going past 1/4 on the gain.

Yeah. I would take it to a tech. I was hoping you had done something wrong with the settings. I had one and one time thought it was broke because i had the loop hooked up but pedals unpowered. It was my first time using a loop. Sometimes we make simple mistakes. But it looks like you have something that needs attention. I don't know if you have a bad solder joint or what, but it could be pretty simple for a tech to find.

napalmdeath":6bgcfmih said:
Metlupass2":6bgcfmih said:
napalmdeath":6bgcfmih said:
LP Freak":6bgcfmih said:

All 7

Plug in the foot switch.

Same thing. I took it out of the chassis again and looked to see if anything was burnt and cleaned all the tube sockets again. I'm giving in soon and will bring it somewhere unfortunately.

Metlupass2":1gcntu3n said:
napalmdeath":1gcntu3n said:
napalmdeath":1gcntu3n said:
LP Freak":1gcntu3n said:

All 7

Plug in the foot switch.

Same thing. I took it out of the chassis again and looked to see if anything was burnt and cleaned all the tube sockets again. I'm giving in soon and will bring it somewhere unfortunately.

You running the pedals in the loop?

What’s he say bout it?

Attachments

• 132276F5-8A43-4AEF-ACDC-A803CC9D8641.jpeg
    132276F5-8A43-4AEF-ACDC-A803CC9D8641.jpeg
    27.7 KB · Views: 298
Back