EVH 5150 III Stealth 100S 6L6 vs Marshall JVM 410H for FF Obsolete era tones.

JCDenton6

I currently have an EVH 5150 III Stealth 100S 6L6 that I'm really digging and it's gotten me closer to this sound in my head but I've recently played a Marshall JVM 410H at GC albeit I didn't get to crank it but I'm going back later today to do so and I'm thinking it may be closer to that tone.

What do you guys think? anyone who has owned both amps at the same time?

Last edited:
I got that sound using SD-1 into Marshall 8100 slaved out to my 6101 with 6L6 (Rubys) and V30
Buy a used SD-1 and a vs100 and you are basically there.

Both great amps. I own both. The Marshall is obviously gonna have that Marshall mid flavor. The EVH a little more lower mid. To me the Marshall is a sweeter albeit slightly looser. Gain on both, that's a toss up as they both have more than enough. Noise floor is about the same on both. Good effects loop on both. Both have excellent Master Volumes. For me OD1 Orange on the JVM410 is as good as it gets for hot rodded high gain Marshall tones. If you wanna get a little more modern then OD1 Red and OD2 Red cover that territory. And the Blue and the Red channel are fantastic on the EVH with many preferring the tighter slightly less compressed structure of the Blue over the Red. I love both but lately have come to appreciate the Blue more than I used too. Clean channel, I'd give the nod to the Marshall but really the clean on the EVH is solid. One note, I do not use an OD to boost, I prefer getting the gain from the amp so when I play, what I'm hearing is the guitar/pup, amp, cab/speakers.

Now personally the JVM 410 has been my number one pretty much since it came out. In my opinion it has a little more 3D (for lack of a better term) sound than the EVH. Plus after playing the EVH a bit I start missing that extra sweetness of the Marshall...for me I notice that on leads. Now all that said, I've played the JVM solid for a decade and a half, my ears and fingers are attuned to it so it's my crutch. I always come back to it.

IMO, gonna come down to preference as both can deliver the goods in spades. One other thing that IMO is important, both sound good with any speaker I've ever run them through. GB's, V30's, GH30 Annis, GT75's, even a pair of old original EVH Sheffields that I have in a beater 2x12. Not all amps do that. Good luck.

Last edited:
EVH is more SLO inspired. JVM is more hotrodded Marshall.

I’d go boost + JVM for that tone because as said prior it’s based on modded 2203 tone.

I've owned both amps and am very familiar with Dino's guitar tones. The stealth on the lead channel (make sure the gain on the on the rhythm channel is dimed) will get you close. That said, a JVM on OD1 / Orange mode boosted with a Boss SD-1 will just about nail it. Andy yes...The EMG 81 is essential.

Thanks for the advice and responses, sadly someone bought that JVM before I got there so I'll have to scour the web for another at a good price. I'll still be keeping the Stealth when I do get a JVM though, good to have a few really good high gainers around :m17:

Thanks for the advice and responses, sadly someone bought that JVM before I got there so I'll have to scour the web for another at a good price. I'll still be keeping the Stealth when I do get a JVM though, good to have a few really good high gainers around :m17:
I just was playing my stealth . I’ll send you my settings for the fear factory tone . Do you have a boss ns 2

Back