F spaced/regular - does it matter that much?

9ball

i put my regular spaced duncan JB into my RG today, which has a floyd, just to see what it sounded like compared to the mo'joe i had in there, and most of the poles line up pretty good with the strings except for the low and high E's.
i was just wondering if it's like a big deal to use the correct spaced p/u?

It's okay to have pickups that are more spaced out than your guitar's string spacing but it's not okay to have pickup spacing that's smaller than your guitars string spacing, does that make sense?

For example you can have Fender spaced pickups on a Gibson but not Gibson spaced pickups on a Fender.

I did some back to back testing with an SH-6 and TB-6. There's little, if any, difference in tone. Both of these were newer pickups. I know some say the older ones sound different.

i don't think it makes a difference. the magnetic field around the pup is the same regardless of where the polepieces are.

chunktone":hfc61meo said:
How does it sound? I have never had a problem with it.

it sounds ok actually lol
not bad - cleans up and everything, but
i'm comparing it to the live wire set i have in another guitar.
i'd have to say the livewires win.
the livewires have a definite win in a direct comparison over the passive JB i'd have to say lol

i'd have to say i'll be installing the livewires in the RG. lol

9ball":1btvsc85 said:
chunktone":1btvsc85 said:
How does it sound? I have never had a problem with it.

it sounds ok actually lol
not bad - cleans up and everything, but
i'm comparing it to the live wire set i have in another guitar.
i'd have to say the livewires win.
the livewires have a definite win in a direct comparison over the passive JB i'd have to say lol

i'd have to say i'll be installing the livewires in the RG. lol

Well, thats because JBs suck :LOL: :LOL:

Never had any problem with regular spacing. In fact, back in my day we used regular spaced buckers in our Strats because there was no such thing as trembuckers or F-spaced, and we liked it that way! I used to walk to the music store to buy my pickups in the snow, barefooted, uphill and against the wind, both ways. Bah, spoiled kids today...

:D

Digital Jams":3n0vh2oz said:
Nothing that ever bothered me, have non floyd spaced pups in several guitars.

Me too, Steve`s special, BBQ, old JB.
No problems, the guitar sounded good with all of them.

Remember the good old days!!?? When ..All we wanted to do was play guitar hard,loud,fast!! Didn't know shit about amps,tubes, string spacing,intonation and all we knew was...If it sounds good it is good!!! Man....I miss those days... :aww:

Here's what Jim from WCR told me when I asked if he made f-spaced pickups:

"No f-spacing, it is just a marketing ploy, makes ZERO difference in sound. The whole top of a bucker is immersed in magnetic fields."

Does it make a difference? Probably a VERY small one.
Should you care? Think about this: EVH put a PAF in his Floyd-equipped guitar and some people would argue he had good tone with that combination.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I hear no difference, and most of my favorite tones were recorded with standard spaced pickups on guitars with trems.

I agree, absolutely no difference at all!!! Don't worry about it, it might look a tad off, it you are a perfectionist you might care though LOL :LOL: :LOL:

fearhk213":47vzz7im said:
Here's what Jim from WCR told me when I asked if he made f-spaced pickups:

"No f-spacing, it is just a marketing ploy, makes ZERO difference in sound. The whole top of a bucker is immersed in magnetic fields."
Coming from him, thats good enough for me..... :thumbsup: :LOL: :LOL:

Ive never compared normal spacing and F spacing with the same kind of pup before, but I use normall spaced pups in my strats and trem guitars all the time. Its fine

Back