F spaced/regular - does it matter that much?

***Allow me to preface my reply by saying I'm having a REALLY shitty day at work***

Tawlks":1icrezh8 said:
For example you can have Fender spaced pickups on a Gibson but not Gibson spaced pickups on a Fender.
:doh: :doh: :doh:

Where did you hear this? :confused:

some of my best tones have been NON-F-Spaced pups with a Floyd.

After comparing F-spaced vs. Non-F-Spaced of the same model on the same guitar, I ALWAYS prefer the sound of the NON-F-Spaced pickup.

I suspect the longer bobbin changes the tone in some calculable way in an apples to apples scientific study. The F-space pups ALWAYS sound thinner to my ears.

I won't buy F-spaced pickups any more. :rock: :rock: :rock:

Sorry, I osund like a dick. :aww:

psychodave":1mnj06ey said:
fearhk213":1mnj06ey said:
Here's what Jim from WCR told me when I asked if he made f-spaced pickups:

"No f-spacing, it is just a marketing ploy, makes ZERO difference in sound. The whole top of a bucker is immersed in magnetic fields."

I actually hear a difference. I dont like the F spaced JB, yet the normal spaced JB sounds good. There HAS to be a difference since you ARE changing some of the magnetic pick up field.

I heard a significant difference too. I had a regular spaced zebra JB in the bridge of my strat and it sounded great. I replaced it with a new white JB F-spaced. The F-spaced was thinner and didn't have the sweetness of the regular spaced JB. I sold the regular spaced JB before I realized this too. It could have been that the newer JB was different than the older JB I had in there. I ended up putting the JB F-spaced in an Ibanez RoadstarII guitar and it sounded thin in there too. I wished I would have kept the original spaced JB in the guitar and left well enough alone.....

Back