Famous musicians you've met

Do past lives count? Then, J.S.Bach. What a dickhead

I had a similar experience, except with Ludwig van Beethoven. I happened to pass him in the street one day, then realized who it was that had just went by me. I quickly turned around and yelled "Hey Beethoven!", but he didn't turn around and acted like he couldn't hear me. What a colossal prick.

Dudes I've met and/or hung out with who are at least semi-famous:

Dax Riggs and Sammy Duet

Kirk Windstein

Gene Hoglan

Thomas Haake

All three dudes from King's X

Bjorn "Speed" Strid

Misha Mansoor and Nolly (and all of the rest of the dudes that were in Periphery at that time)

John 5

Dave Davidson

Probably several others I'm not remembering right now

I guess I can add Anton Pukshansky to my list - while probably not super famous, he is a multiple Grammy-award winning producer. Let me jam on his '62 strat which to this day is probably my favorite strat I've ever played

no joke...
Paul McCartney, EVH, Steven Tyler, Tom Hamilton, Paul Stanley, Gene Simmons, Bruce Kulick, Brian Johnson, Ozzy, Cheap Trick (original 4), Slash, Duff McKagen, Axl, Dave Navarro, Nikki Sixx, Dave Grohl, Zakk Wylde, Mike Inez, Nico McBrain, Josh Holmes, Gary Cherone, Don Dokken, etc...

All of Corrosion of Conformity (even Karl Agell when they did a Blind “reunion” tour) except Pepper. Reed Mullin was super cool and I still have one of his signed sticks.

Tobben from Vomitory, Gerry from Tankard (had a fun chat with him and got him to throw up an inside joke sign during his set).

Met Kyle Thomas from Exhorder and he was really cool as well. Probably many from Baltimore/DC scene that I was too drunk to remember. Adam Jarvis from Misery Index, he’s always a cool guy.

There are others I cannot think of at this time.

LG Petrov was a dick.

I met Kirk Hammett. My buddies and I went to see Metallica on the Load tour in 97. We were in Seattle and arrived a day before the show. So what do a bunch of 21 year old guys do in Seattle, we went to a titty bar. When we walked in some guy told us that guy from Metallica was in the VIP room. I was super stoked, but he didn't know which one it was. A few minutes later Kirk and his abnormally large body guard walked out into the main bar area. I ran up to him totally fan girling and we chatted for a few minutes. He was higher than giraffe ass though, but was super cool and accommodating about giving me an autograph. All I had was a $20 travelers check that he signed for me. Still have it and I know it's worth $20

All Metallica minus Kirk, all Slayer minus Lombardo, Chucky Billy, Russ Anderson (Forbidden), Alex/Rob/Paul from Cannibal, Muhammad and Marco Minnemann (Necrophagist), Gary Holt and Rick Hunolt (Exodus), Squarehead from RT.

Eric Clapton . He has a house in Columbus and came into our dealership to get his in laws car worked on years ago.

Paul McCartney
Robert Plant
Edward Van Halen
James Hetfield/Lars Ulrich/Jason Newstead/Kirk Hammett
Steven Tyler/Joe Perry/Brad Whitford/Joey Kramer/Tom Hamilton
Paul Stanley/Gene Simmons/Ace Frehley/Peter Criss
Yngwie Malmsteen
Joe Satriani
Slash/Duff
Joe Elliott/Phil Collin/Rick Allen/Vivian Campbell
Eric Johnson
Steve Morse
Guthrie Govan

All Metallica minus Kirk, all Slayer minus Lombardo, Chucky Billy, Russ Anderson (Forbidden), Alex/Rob/Paul from Cannibal, Muhammad and Marco Minnemann (Necrophagist), Gary Holt and Rick Hunolt (Exodus), Squarehead from RT.

That reminded me, also met Chuck Billy. He was roaming around the parking lot of a shit club in NJ they were playing. He hopped in our van and we smoked a joint with him. Super cool guy.

Billy Joe Armstrong. Him and the drummer came into Charley’s guitar in Dallas. I was there messing with my modded 76 NMV JMP when they came in.

I didn’t recognize them. I should have put the clues together when Steven, the owner at the time’s nephew asked them where their gig was and the responded “American Airlines Center”, but I honestly thought to myself, wondering who they were opening for. Without realizing who they were, they looked at some gear, he inquired if I was selling the amp, which I said no. They then asked were a specific music store in Garland Texas was, because he was supposed to go look at a 1959 Les Paul Junior. I told him how to get there. On the way out, Steven gave them some Charley’s Tshirts and asked for some pictures. As soon as they left, I asked who they were. Steven pointed to the Dallas Observer, which had them right there on the cover. LoL

I’m honestly glad I didn’t recognize them because I would have like froze and not had a normal conversation with them.

Richard Patrick was cool. He liked my cat lazer eye shirt.

Vfy5TkQ.jpg

My old band toured with Taproot and Sevendust in 2009. The guys in Taproot became great friends and showed us the ropes on tour. Lajon from Sevendust is a really nice dude as well.

Hey man, that’s a nice shot.

I’m starting to forget them at this point. I’ve met all my idols/influences except for David Gilmour and after one trip to NAMM they all start blurring together.

Highlights- Vai when I was 16 and worshipped him. I punished him, too. Totally rushed him when he was getting out of a cab, but he was cool about it and that day de-mystified him for me. I realized he was a regular human who just REALLY wanted to be good at what he did, not a superhuman. That was a life changing sentiment.

Doug Pinnick at the Dean NAMM Jam, we met walking into the Grove, I bought him a drink and he watched the whole show with my ex and I, screaming along with me and just shooting the shit casually. Saw him the next day at the Hilton and he walked right up like we were friends. Such a good dude.

Sevendust guys- In my 20’s I was going off the rails with my drinking habits at the same time Clint Lowery was getting sober. That dude sent me so many messages of encouragement, going back and forth in Twitter DM’s that I’ll forever be thankful. When I finally had the chance to meet him, I had him sign my JEM (not big on autographs, but he’s different). I was broke at the time and when Lajon came off the bus and asked if I was playing that night, or at least going t the show and I sheepishly told him I couldn’t afford it, he asked me how many tickets I needed and refused to take no for an answer. Sure as shit, I was on the guest list later that night. Amazing, real guys in that band.

Off the top of my head for the rest- Devin Townsend, all the Dream Theater guys (Portnoy probably 5x), Satch, Killswitch, Steel Panther (twice, once in an airport), Queensryche (Toddryche lineup), everyone in Mastodon but Brent a couple times, that’s probably it or guys I got to do more than just shake a hand with. The NAMM guys I barely consider “meeting” because it was so fast, but the one that always pops in my head is Claude Schnell, who just seemed happy that someone under 40 recognized him. :LOL:

Too many to mention. Most of them not being “famous “ but guys from the early thrash and underground death metal scene. I do have a video of my wife and Corpsegrinder Fisher talking about legos. Lol. One of my best friends plays in Incantation so I get to meet and hang out with a lot of death metal legends.

Smoked weed with Pete Sandoval. Worked with Trevor Peres of Obituary. We smoked weed at lunch everyday.

Met a lot of heavy hitters in the 90's of the metal scene here in Tampa back when it was the Death Metal capital of the world. Hung out with a lot of them, and the band I was in opened for a lot of those guys.

Hung out with Coroner guys, Overkill at a small club, lots of metal gods.

Sat at the bar at Tampa Airport with Nicko McBrain for a few beers.

I gotta a few stories I'll talk ADDlers Appetite x GNR drummer downtown small venue show downtown Minnepolis..Super Kool,friendly and funny.Great show hung out by the Bus after chatting /signing with the rest of the band.Hilarious sense of humor with a slightly slurred speaking voice.Drumming was awesum by the way.

Back