Favorite amp blend

Techdeth

RESIDENT ROCK PROFESSOR
I always blend two amp heads for my tone . Recording or live . My fav blend is a Wizard MTL2 with a Diezel Herbert mk 1. I have a mk 3 and a vh 4 but I like the mk 1 best .The wizard is almost perfect to me but the Diezel low end and compression fills it out . Any how I was wondering what your all favorite amp blends are . Any 2 .

How would you describe the differences between MLT and Herbert and VH4?
Mtl gives me almost a complete full body tone with all frequencies in full effect . It’s my favorite amp for sure . Herbert does not have the highs of MTL2 but has a lot more rich compression and incredibly tight huge low end . The Vh4 feels duller to me after being into the other two . It’s killer but way more dry . I also need to get kt77s out to judge it better . This is all to my ears . I know people love Vh4 but so far I dig both Herberts more . The MTL2 and Diezels are just so different that they blend to make a big sound .

Mtl gives me almost a complete full body tone with all frequencies in full effect . It’s my favorite amp for sure . Herbert does not have the highs of MTL2 but has a lot more rich compression and incredibly tight huge low end . The Vh4 feels duller to me after being into the other two . It’s killer but way more dry . I also need to get kt77s out to judge it better . This is all to my ears . I know people love Vh4 but so far I dig both Herberts more . The MTL2 and Diezels are just so different that they blend to make a big sound .
Thanks mate - I'd describe the VH4 similar to how you did.
I found 6L6s sounded better to my ear over the 77's

Thanks mate - I'd describe the VH4 similar to how you did.
I found 6L6s sounded better to my ear over the 77's
Ya I put 6l6s in my other diezels and I’m very happy . You’re right I need 6l6s in it . I’ve only had Vh4 a bit so I though if give kt77s a shot .Do have a blend amp with your Vh4 . Just wondering

Ya I put 6l6s in my other diezels and I’m very happy . You’re right I need 6l6s in it . I’ve only had Vh4 a bit so I though if give kt77s a shot .Do have a blend amp with your Vh4 . Just wondering
I have some Marshalls that I want to try. My main beef with a VH4 is not enough bite and high end sizzle for me... bit 'dull' as you put it. Probably makes it a good blender amp but not a preference for a main tone for me.

My favorite I think I ever had was a blend of a Diezel VH4 and a Fryette UL. I've used a Herbert too. I think of my MTLs as an UL on steroids so it would work in it's place too. The Diezels fill in the smooth darker low mids, satruation and compression where the MTL or UL gives it the higher mids, punch and agressive grind.

If only the device in this linked video was slightly larger…
I’m thinking an Orange Tiny Terror for Vitamin C and a Mesa Mini Rectifier 25 for iron would be a good source of essential nutrients. Lunchbox amps for breakfast, yum! It’s where mini amps belong…

For live amps I have a wdw setup with a buxom betty combo as the center/"dry" amp (It does have a boss MS-3, and some gain pedals in front of it). Then I have a JJ-100 on the left side and a Butterslax on the right. The JJ and Butterslax have an eventide H9 max in the loop of both amps which is why I call them my wet amps. The Buxom betty will sometimes see an effect (other than gain) from the MS-3 but almost all of my effects, especially reverbs/delays come from the H9. Since this is what I own, I guess you could call it my favorite blend of amps.

On the Axe-fx I tend to build my presets based on a template preset that uses two amps and a bunch of effects. While I have multiple presets set up that I float between, generally speaking, both amps in the preset follow a similar topology with channel 1 being the cleanest tone, 2 being still "clean" but not as clean as channel 1 and with a boost engaged its a "classic" crunch tone, channel 3 is modern rhythm crunch, channel 4 is highest gain. The template I start with uses a Superverb Normal and Vibrato Verb Custom on channel 1, 59 Bassguy and Friedman Smallbox on channel 2, Dirty Shirley and Dizzy V4 Blue 3 on channel 3, BogFish Strato and Friedman HBE V3 on channel 4. Each time I copy the presest to a new bank, I then tweak what amps are in each slot but they change for flavor, so I might replace the dirty shirley with a Super lead or I might swap the Bogfish with an SLO etc...

I have some Marshalls that I want to try. My main beef with a VH4 is not enough bite and high end sizzle for me... bit 'dull' as you put it. Probably makes it a good blender amp but not a preference for a main tone for me.
Definitely agree

My favorite I think I ever had was a blend of a Diezel VH4 and a Fryette UL. I've used a Herbert too. I think of my MTLs as an UL on steroids so it would work in it's place too. The Diezels fill in the smooth darker low mids, satruation and compression where the MTL or UL gives it the higher mids, punch and agressive grind.
I been hearing this a lot . So a UL is close to a MTL2?

For live amps I have a wdw setup with a buxom betty combo as the center/"dry" amp (It does have a boss MS-3, and some gain pedals in front of it). Then I have a JJ-100 on the left side and a Butterslax on the right. The JJ and Butterslax have an eventide H9 max in the loop of both amps which is why I call them my wet amps. The Buxom betty will sometimes see an effect (other than gain) from the MS-3 but almost all of my effects, especially reverbs/delays come from the H9. Since this is what I own, I guess you could call it my favorite blend of amps.

On the Axe-fx I tend to build my presets based on a template preset that uses two amps and a bunch of effects. While I have multiple presets set up that I float between, generally speaking, both amps in the preset follow a similar topology with channel 1 being the cleanest tone, 2 being still "clean" but not as clean as channel 1 and with a boost engaged its a "classic" crunch tone, channel 3 is modern rhythm crunch, channel 4 is highest gain. The template I start with uses a Superverb Normal and Vibrato Verb Custom on channel 1, 59 Bassguy and Friedman Smallbox on channel 2, Dirty Shirley and Dizzy V4 Blue 3 on channel 3, BogFish Strato and Friedman HBE V3 on channel 4. Each time I copy the presest to a new bank, I then tweak what amps are in each slot but they change for flavor, so I might replace the dirty shirley with a Super lead or I might swap the Bogfish with an SLO etc...
Interesting

I don't have much experience running dual rigs, but for a while I ran my Fender Prosonic and VHT Deliverance 60 together and that was a mindblowing combo

I been hearing this a lot . So a UL is close to a MTL2?

Very similar in style. The UL has a little more range in the tonal voicing with the graphic EQ. MTLs sound different through the years. I had 4 at one point (MTL KT150, MTL, MTL mk2- Hybrid and the MTL mk2) and they all sound a little different. I actually sold my mk2 earlier this year because there was a lot of overlap with my mk1 but I liked the voicing on my mk1 a little more and really didn't care about the mid sweep on the mk2. I'd say the KT150 is the closest to the UL but it just takes it up a few more notches. I still love my UL...had it for almost 10 years and it was my favorite until I got the first MTL.

A UL on steroids! Seriously?!? I may need to try one.

Very similar in style. The UL has a little more range in the tonal voicing with the graphic EQ. MTLs sound different through the years. I had 4 at one point (MTL KT150, MTL, MTL mk2- Hybrid and the MTL mk2) and they all sound a little different. I actually sold my mk2 earlier this year because there was a lot of overlap with my mk1 but I liked the voicing on my mk1 a little more and really didn't care about the mid sweep on the mk2. I'd say the KT150 is the closest to the UL but it just takes it up a few more notches. I still love my UL...had it for almost 10 years and it was my favorite until I got the first MTL.
Ya I’m in love with MTL2. Almost perfect to me

These two together really blend well IMO :yes:

zhfrjOz.jpg

Yeah, its def easy to hear after going from a brighter amp like a Marshall, Wizard or a Mesa Mark to the VH4, much less top end. I believe thats the inherent tuning of the circuit from Peters ears, he doesn't like too much high end sizzle in an amp. Blended with those other amps it's a great fit and I can see why Jones and Hetfield do it. The Hagen is less compressed and more open on its own.
I've got Gold Lion KT77's in one and 6L6's in another. I feel I can get closer to a crisper top end with the 6L6's than the KT77's, nothing new there but I can confirm for myself that's what hear. If I had the choice now I'd prob just stick to 6L6's in the VH4. I've read that 6550's are fantastic by many accounts, but not recommended by Peter to run.
I love running the VH4 and my MCII at hefty volumes, but I soon need an ear break. Running the Marshall Super Lead and two VH4's, with one VH4 out of phase wrt to the other is unreal too. Swapping in a dual recto into a VH4 spot is another great one.

Running the Marshall Super Lead and two VH4's, with one VH4 out of phase wrt to the other is unreal too. Swapping in a dual recto into a VH4 spot is another great one.
Essentially the Adam Jones setup. I've read before he intentionally runs one amp out of phase with the others. What kind of signal router do you use to achieve this? Does it make a difference if it's a 2 or 3 amp setup? I'm thinking if two amps are in phase and one is out, then the effects of the one out of phase amp is minimal and mainly serves to provide a 'swirling' texture, or a different series of harmonics that subtlety blends in with the others. If the setup is only 2 amps that are out of phase with each other, then wouldn't everything be out of phase and potentially wash out a large chunk of the frequency spectrum? I'm not experienced with this kind of setup so any further insight is appreciated.

Back