Favorite amp blend

Sweet . I can try a lot of these . I’m still waiting for someone to sell me 2c+ . How’s your settings on jvm. What channel and color ?
Ch1 clean amber? Knobs dimed
Ch2 red dimed
Ch3 red almost noon all mids 3 brootz (its tighter than ch4 for this)
Ch4 amber same ^ but more treble (hair/rock/ozzy)
My Vintage 2c+ goes with them all really well too

I'm really interested in blending a Diezel Herbert MkIII with... something. As others have said, its low end compliments many other amps.

Here's a clip of a Herbert MkI or MkII with a Driftwood Purple Nightmare:

I personally did not like this blend. It was too dry for my taste. I generally prefer more saturation.

Has anyone tried blending a Herbert MkIII with a Mesa Boogie Mark V? Or a JP2C? Any idea how these combinations would sound in comparison to the above Herbert/Purple Nightmare blend?

Going a slightly different route, can anyone describe what generally pairs well with a Mark V? John Petrucci blended a Mark V and Rectifier on Awake (see his Tone Summit video), but what else would blend well with a Mark V? Maybe a Marshall?

I'm really interested in blending a Diezel Herbert MkIII with... something. As others have said, its low end compliments many other amps.

Here's a clip of a Herbert MkI or MkII with a Driftwood Purple Nightmare:

I personally did not like this blend. It was too dry for my taste. I generally prefer more saturation.

Has anyone tried blending a Herbert MkIII with a Mesa Boogie Mark V? Or a JP2C? Any idea how these combinations would sound in comparison to the above Herbert/Purple Nightmare blend?

I’ll blend my Herbert mk 3 with my mk3++ green stripe as soon as I get it back from Mesa

Going a slightly different route, can anyone describe what generally pairs well with a Mark V? John Petrucci blended a Mark V and Rectifier on Awake (see his Tone Summit video), but what else would blend well with a Mark V? Maybe a Marshall?
One time I mixed a Mark 5 with a Engl Powerball and I’m the studio they complimented each other perfectly . The 5 was main tone and the richness of powerball added a rich glow to the sound . Powerball blows loud but for overdubs and not loud recording it adds some magic to a track

When my band was gigging, in our early days the other guitarist played a JCM 800 and I played a Hiwatt DR103. Later on I switched to a Rev G Ractifier. The Mesa/Marshall combo in a live situation was killer.

We opened for The Bullet Boys once and those fuckers wouldn’t let us mic our cabinets after they did sound check? We both just cranked our amps all the way up and blew the fuck out of that club. The sound guy told me afterwards that my tone just killed. Fuck the Bullet Boys!

When my band was gigging, in our early days the other guitarist played a JCM 800 and I played a Hiwatt DR103. Later on I switched to a Rev G Ractifier. The Mesa/Marshall combo in a live situation was killer.

We opened for The Bullet Boys once and those fuckers wouldn’t let us mic our cabinets after they did sound check? We both just cranked our amps all the way up and blew the fuck out of that club. The sound guy told me afterwards that my tone just killed. Fuck the Bullet Boys!
I bet the hiwatt and jcm 800 was interesting

Where are these Grammy winning clips of blended amps??
Blending implies the one amp isn't getting the job done.. Say it isn't so. RT guys don't have the perfect amp... :ROFLMAO:
Seems to me using 2 different Mics would do the same thing a lot easier..

Mark V blends well with most dumpsters. I keed, I keed.

Where are these Grammy winning clips of blended amps??
Blending implies the one amp isn't getting the job done.. Say it isn't so. RT guys don't have the perfect amp... :ROFLMAO:
Seems to me using 2 different Mics would do the same thing a lot easier..

Very interesting comment! Through the Dream Theater discography, it seems John Petrucci has gone from blending amps through 4x12 cabs with two mics, to a single amp with a 1x12 cab with three mics.

I've often wondered if using more diverse mics has a greater tone impact than more diverse amps. For example, would a Recto with a Royer 121 have the same deep low-end as a Diezel Herbert with an SM57, assuming the same cab?

Would love to hear views on the mics vs amps debate.

Last edited:
id rather blend speakers.
I wish I could go to a cab summit with lots of speaker combos . I live in middle of know and have to buy blind . I usually end up back at v30s and 75s after bling chances . I wish I could try before I buy

Back