Favorite Death / Thrash guitar tone album? 1983-1993

shredhead7":sd1jmshj said:
Classic thrash, I love Annihilator - Neverland, Coroner - Mental Vortex, Toxik - Think This, Overkill - Horrorscope.
Classic Death Metal, Death - Individual Thought, Atheist - Unquestionable Presence and Cynic - Focus (funny that they're all rotating band members of the same bands).

Is it safe to say, boosted 800's are the way to go?

Or an 8100 Valvestate ;)

paulyc":2xvdpc2q said:
vicknott":2xvdpc2q said:
Beyond Black":2xvdpc2q said:
vicknott":2xvdpc2q said:
Amon Amarth, Fear Factory, Carcass, Pantera ????? :doh: I thought we talked about old-school thrash and death-metal...
Anyway, my favourite are:
death-metal - Death - Human
thrash - Anthax - Persistence of Time
Lighten up, Francis. All of those bands have been around since the early 90's...

The years are not important, but their style is and is not old-school thrash death ! Pantera - groove metal, Fear Factory - industrial, Amon Amarth and Carcass - melodeath
Does anyone else get sick of all the damn subcategories of metal these days ?
No, because I understand all the subcategories. So I'm not sick of it. If someone is out of the loop, then I could see how it can be daunting or annoying though.

Not the best download of this song, but these guys used to be ‘the shit’ when it came to killer NYC Hardcore thrash!

I love all things Scott burns mixed/produced. In My opinion he singlehandedly created THE sound of death-metal !

Death - Human
Monstrosity - Millenium
Cancer - Death Shall Rise
Sepultura - Beneath The Remains/Arise
Napalm Death - Harmony Corruption
Obituary - Cause Of Death/The End Complete
Pestilence - Testimony Of The Ancients
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence
Cannibal Corpse - Butchered At Birth
Suffocation - Effigy Of The Forgotten
Deicide - Legion
Sadus - Elements Of Anger
etc. etc.

Hononarable mention to Colin Richardson :

Disincarnate - Dreams Of The Carrion Kind
Carcass - Necroticism/Heartwork
Machine Head - Burn My Eyes
etc.

thrashinbatman":16f0z2ld said:
I sort of understand, because if we don't specify thrash or death/thrash then this thread will just turn into "your favorite metal guitar tones" which isn't what this guy was looking for. I think he was wanting a specific era of thrash metal, mostly from like 1987 to 1993 or so, when some of the bands started flirting with death metal.
Spot on! That's exactly what I had in mind when creating the thread!

sotosprince":nxse7g5m said:
thrashinbatman":nxse7g5m said:
I sort of understand, because if we don't specify thrash or death/thrash then this thread will just turn into "your favorite metal guitar tones" which isn't what this guy was looking for. I think he was wanting a specific era of thrash metal, mostly from like 1987 to 1993 or so, when some of the bands started flirting with death metal.
Spot on! That's exactly what I had in mind when creating the thread!
Just to clarify, I wasn’t bashing anyone here, I just think all the sub groupings of metal get silly, there are just way too many. Didn’t mean to get off topic.

I'm going to deviate a bit and go with songs that define the thrash thing for me personally:

- Exodus, Toxic Waltz
- Forbidden, Chalice of Blood
- Testament, Trial By Fire
- Anthrax, Caught in a Mosh

Relatively unknown band but crushing. If the riff at 2:00 doesn't get you going, nothing will.

a little outside of the year parameters but i've always been really into in flames tone circa whoreacle/colony/clayman era.

i'm a big fan of that layered up, and reverbed out Peter Tägtgren guitar sound, heard on so many great Scandinavian metal records from the late 90's and early 2000's. Immortal's at the heart of winter & Dammed in Black, all the Hypocrisy albums, dimmu borgir's classics, children of bodom follow the reaper, etc.

edit... shit, missed the date in the title :doh:

in the case, that early 90's swedish death sound that was said to be daisy chained boss HM-2 (for the gain) and a Metal zone for eq...
Dismember's Like An Ever Flowing Stream is the first of many albums with this tone to come to mind.

JimAnsell":mkueq126 said:
i'm a big fan of that layered up, and reverbed out Peter Tägtgren guitar sound, heard on so many great Scandinavian metal records from the late 90's and early 2000's. Immortal's at the heart of winter & Dammed in Black, all the Hypocrisy albums, dimmu borgir's classics, children of bodom follow the reaper, etc.

edit... shit, missed the date in the title :doh:

in the case, that early 90's swedish death sound that was said to be daisy chained boss HM-2 (for the gain) and a Metal zone for eq...
Dismember's Like An Ever Flowing Stream is the first of many albums with this tone to come to mind.
I also love those Immortal and Dimmu tones. Just a huge, thick, saturated wall of sound. Great stuff. :rock:

Really? I've always hated the tone on Impact is Imminent. The guitar tone on the right side (Gary's I think) is alright, but the left is just bad. The fact that the amp used on Impact is Imminent is the same as on Force of Habit, Tempo of the Damned, and Blood In, Blood Out says so much about how important cab, mic, and mic placement are to a tone.

LanierP":14tvpi97 said:
Not the best download of this song, but these guys used to be ‘the shit’ when it came to killer NYC Hardcore thrash!

Crumbsuckers were awesome. Heavily processed but very cool thrash tone!

Back