Favorite Tube Screamer for metal?

Sounds good, but I've heard a savage with a TS before lol, I was just curious about a dod250 into one getting a Larry tone, as you said
@DanTravis62

I just recorded a part with the DOD 250. Starts with the DOD off.

https://streamable.com/1oz9o9
Lemme know what you think!
In terms of Larry tone, please note I said I think this gets me in the Larry ballpark, not a 100% replication. That raw, dryness, without the strange midhump squishiness, that typically comes with a TS-like boost, and without any bloatyness in the lows.

@DanTravis62

I just recorded a part with the DOD 250. Starts with the DOD off.

https://streamable.com/1oz9o9
Lemme know what you think!
In terms of Larry tone, please note I said I think this gets me in the Larry ballpark, not a 100% replication. That raw, dryness, without the strange midhump squishiness, that typically comes with a TS-like boost, and without any bloatyness in the lows.

Nice man! It totally cops a little of that signature Larry highend phasey grind. The low end is still more of the ENGL style, but it does give it that sparkle on top that's reminiscent of Larry. I've always been super hot and cold on ENGL's, some of them I absolutely like, and some of them I can't stand, it just depends, model to model. I sold the two that I had to help fund the Larry lol

@DanTravis62 thanks man!

I did another; starts out with the same Primal Fear riff, but phone was now oriented side-ways (i'm sort of mcgyvering it between a cushion and an edge of a chair to keep it up right)

https://streamable.com/b8ot5j
I see what you mean about the low-end being more Engl-like. It's a bit more compressed and saturated, where the Larry's seem to be showing their true magic; to remain open and defined, even under very high gain.
There was still room to tweak though, EQ-wise, since I had the Depth boost on, and because I'm playing through a 2x12 at moderate room levels, I typically run the bass between 1 o' clock and 3 'o clock, as the Savage 60 is not too thick sounding by itself and quite middy (hence the mids being at 9 'o clock).

Regarding Engl's in general, while I own 3 of them, I did sell the SE EL34 and I never cared for the Powerball, Fireball or Thunder and Screamer. If they're there in a rehearsal room, fine, but somewhere between how the Artist, the Savage and the Invader sound, is where I like it best. The Invader has some of the best cleans in a high gain multichannel head and while Channel 3 is thunderous in its own right, it's definitely more polished than the Savage, which may not always be a good thing. CH4 I found too wooly, saturated.

@DanTravis62 thanks man!

I did another; starts out with the same Primal Fear riff, but phone was now oriented side-ways (i'm sort of mcgyvering it between a cushion and an edge of a chair to keep it up right)

I see what you mean about the low-end being more Engl-like. It's a bit more compressed and saturated, where the Larry's seem to be showing their true magic; to remain open and defined, even under very high gain.
There was still room to tweak though, EQ-wise, since I had the Depth boost on, and because I'm playing through a 2x12 at moderate room levels, I typically run the bass between 1 o' clock and 3 'o clock, as the Savage 60 is not too thick sounding by itself and quite middy (hence the mids being at 9 'o clock).

Regarding Engl's in general, while I own 3 of them, I did sell the SE EL34 and I never cared for the Powerball, Fireball or Thunder and Screamer. If they're there in a rehearsal room, fine, but somewhere between how the Artist, the Savage and the Invader sound, is where I like it best. The Invader has some of the best cleans in a high gain multichannel head and while Channel 3 is thunderous in its own right, it's definitely more polished than the Savage, which may not always be a good thing. CH4 I found too wooly, saturated.
Sounds great man, great playing, too! It's always cool finding other dudes who are into classic/power metal, I feel like we would be friends IRL every time haha. As far as trying to get a Larry-like tone with another amp, you are 100% right about the "magic" of the Larry, at least in me experience. It's literally as tight as it could be and remain musical, and as "open" as it's possible to be, and it's a very hard thing to simulate on any other amp.

I don't have time to do a big kid recording (I have other demos on RT of that in the larry subforum) but heres a quick vid of me doing some "Violate" on the British channel, with just the crappy phone camera mic:

Rockbox boiling Point. I have a couple of the older hand painted ones. Ive tried pretty much all the boosts out there for Metal. The original Maxon 808 has its place and I also like the VFE Standout but I use that one more for leads to fatten things up. The Boiling Point is perfect for rhythm IMO.

Have to say JHS Bonsai because you get a bunch of diff variants including Keeley and JHS mod to play with. Impossible not to find something that sticks. OD-1 setting if you want the old school midrange thrashy cut. What an awesome pedal it is.

OD1X and 80s SD1. I’ve had Airis, VFE, Thorpy, Furman, Wiz Leopard, TC 1140...all killer but didn’t kick the OD or SD off the board. Funny side note..I tried all of those others with my 72 SuperTrem and it just didn’t gel well...but it loved my 30$ cheap ass Joyo Ultimate Drive that’s been in my gig bag unused for 8 years. Haha
Those Joyo Ultimate drives can be noisy as f*ck..I went through 3 of them..they do sound good though.

Isn't the Joyo Ultimate Drive a clone of the Fulltone OCD ?
It's more a distortion pedal than a OD or boost. But can be used as one. They don't cut lows and highs like a Tube Screamer.

If my Timmy, TS or Klone of the moment can't get it done, the Way Huge Green Rhino will.
It has a knob to dial down the bass for tightness, and another knob to dial where the mids are, for brightness.
It'll make any amp's flabby ass tighter than a frog's underwater.

@DanTravis62 thanks man!

Check out the spider from top-left going towards bottom-center starting at about 0:32. As you might expect from my screen name, I have a keen eye for these things. :LOL:

Back