Friedman 2x12 vs Bogner 2x12C Blind Test (Both V30s)

Which tone did you like best in the video, Cab A or B?

• Cab B

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Cab A

Votes: 43 71.7%

• Total voters

Adambomb

VOTE BEFORE THE ENDING!! I think the best 2x12 cabs I've owned are the Friedman and Bogner, of course haven't tried them all. Both are closed back with V30's. Now the Friedman usually doesn't come with any kind of casters, so not sure if the dude modified the cab for wheels or what, Anyway, it seems to be a pretty decent blind test comparison from YouTube of both that I found last night. I figured you guys would enjoy this on a dreary Tuesday morning.

Check it out, and please share what you think of both and the one you like best.

I chose B. Funny because I have 412s for each of these cabs and I prefer the brand B cab a lot more.

I liked A on every example except the last one (the cleanest one). B sounded more scooped and was missing the thick mids that A had. But when playing super clean, scooped often sounds good so not surprising I liked B on the clean.

Is there any insulation in either cab?

There is a lot of variables here. Was the mic placed in exactly the same spot? How old are the speakers, how much use, speakers can sound extreamly different after a break in period. Etc.

SpiderWars":302k29u7 said:
I liked A on every example except the last one (the cleanest one). B sounded more scooped and was missing the thick mids that A had. But when playing super clean, scooped often sounds good so not surprising I liked B on the clean.

Is there any insulation in either cab?

I actually own both these 2x12 cabs. Yes, the Bogner 2x12c has some batting or insulation glued on the back panel.

So for just single guitar clips alone I like the cab A for most of the clips. At first I was surprised in what I was hearing, that they sounded very similar to each other. Considering a Bogner 2x12 is much bigger with batting inside, and a Friedman 2x12 that's smaller with it's back panel having a small ported section. Until I put on my Sennheiser 280HD's, and then the tonal frequencies of each cab was much clearer. You have to take into consideration that one cabs speakers might be broke in more as well as speakers of the same model will sound slightly different, I know that to be a fact from working at WGS Speakers for a few years.

Listened to 3:38 more for a overdrive reference riff:
Cab A= More Lower mids, overdrives a bigger rounder sound, deeper bass, smoother & more pleasing to the ears.
Cab B= More Upper mids, overdrives tighter with better note clarity, more raw (harsh) mids and highs. Surely cuts in a band mix better.

Cleans:
Cab A: Having more open clarity and definition, sparkly highs, deep lows and well balanced all around. Just perfect sounding cleans to my ears,
Cab B: Still a nice tight sound with nice lows and highs, but not as clear with some notes sounding muffled, but I think it's the way he was playing.

I don't know now, I like both for different reasons but first quick impression Cab A sounds terrific by itself. Cab B in a live mix maybe a little better. Either way GOOD JOB!

RACKSYSTEMS":no1k7397 said:
There is a lot of variables here. Was the mic placed in exactly the same spot? How old are the speakers, how much use, speakers can sound extreamly different after a break in period. Etc.

Speakers of the same make and model sound different brand new even. Voice coils are fragile and it's impossible to get them perfectly center from the distance on each side of the extremely small circular crack where the coil goes down in the magnet, which they never can be 100%. Then all the other gear and user inconsistencies.

I just saw it on youtube and thought it would be cool to share.

Yeah its cool I was just pointing out the flaws in the test. Hell the mic could have been a centimeter off from each other. Supper different then.

I thought A sounded better for most of the clips. It almost sounded like the mic was farther away in some of the B clips.

I liked A and i was sure that is was going to be the Bogner cab. I just recieved my Friedman 212 cab yesterday and am very impressed by the sound of it.

Clear, full and smooth highs. Makes my mesa recto 212 cab sound hash and very scooped.

I have a bogner oversized 2x12. Originally closed back. I prefer it 3/4 open back. Currently loaded with g1265 and v30. Sounds great.

Back