FRIEDMAN SS100

last time at my friend’s studio i shot a quick iphone vid as we dialed in his SS trying to find the fine balance between fattest crunch tone and enough gain to solo without the lead boost on

with the lead boost on it gets the hair trigger pinch harmonics legato level gain at will, but without it takes more finesse. i prefer no boost for that huge full tilt plexi *tone* while retaining the clarity and voice of the mids and highs.

Sounds really great. It actually made me think of Trey Azagthoth's lead tone with that short delay and cutting tone, esp in his (Lava) iso solo tracks.
Makes me want to go crank up mine.

Sounds really great. It actually made me think of Trey Azagthoth's lead tone with that short delay and cutting tone, esp in his (Lava) iso solo tracks.
Makes me want to go crank up mine.
Wow Trey azagthoth... I haven been keeping up with Morbid angel... I heard he gave up playing music or something which he left the band? Or was it David Vincent...

Yeah
Wow Trey azagthoth... I haven been keeping up with Morbid angel... I heard he gave up playing music or something which he left the band? Or was it David Vincent...
Yeah, Trey is still there, he's the only OG now. Dave left after "Domination" and came back for the album "Illud Divinum Insanus". That album was like their St Anger + Lulu combined. They tried to incorporate some hardcore dance elements into a few songs, and some of the songs were just extremely cringey. There was a couple of decent tracks but the album couldn't survive the stench of shit from the bad tracks. 'Blades for Baal' and '10 More Dead' were cool. There was a huge backlash fan wise and Dave left again and Steve came back. Trainwreck. Their last album "Kingdoms Disdained" is back to their Tucker era form

Yeah

Yeah, Trey is still there, he's the only OG now. Dave left after "Domination" and came back for the album "Illud Divinum Insanus". That album was like their St Anger + Lulu combined. They tried to incorporate some hardcore dance elements into a few songs, and some of the songs were just extremely cringey. There was a couple of decent tracks but the album couldn't survive the stench of shit from the bad tracks. 'Blades for Baal' and '10 More Dead' were cool. There was a huge backlash fan wise and Dave left again and Steve came back. Trainwreck. Their last album "Kingdoms Disdained" is back to their Tucker era form
Still like the era David vincient , Trey and Erik rutan and the master beats Pete Sandoval ... Their dominate live was good one...

I think the SS100 really needs either the presence on something like 8 or 9 or the treble around 7 to 8 for it to be more percussive and less dark. But once dialed with a good single cut style guitar and lower output humbuckers its damn near perfect for rock and hard rock.

The SS uses an audio taper treble pot, meaning that when its at midday its the same as a normal linear pot set at 1. Crank that treble pot up to say 7 or 8 and the amp should come to life.
Nailed it just like you say in your later post it's just like the xtc. Have to crank the treble control more to get the same as what it is on most amps, you perceve this as the amp being darker because you have to crank the treble knob higher then most amps...

Nailed it just like you say in your later post it's just like the xtc. Have to crank the treble control more to get the same as what it is on most amps, you perceve this as the amp being darker because you have to crank the treble knob higher then most amps...
Thats right just like the xtc. Though i feel that pushing the presence pot to at least 8 also gives a lot of sparkle and shimmer, but also more important GAIN!. From there it cleans up so nice with the volume pot. It got me to sell my 2016 BE100. But really close call between those two amps.

If someone needs the schematic differences and wants to know whats different between the two amps, shoot me a pm.

Another really cool trick is to put a bright cap between 100pf and 500pf ob the gain pot!

Friedmans have their gain pots on the 2nd stage while jcm800s have them on the first stage. That and a few different parts and you are there.

I keep the treble a little below 3:00 on both the ss100 and the X.

Then I adjust the presence based on cab or guitar. But I tend to leave the treble alone since it took a while to find the sweet spot.

Back