Front loaded 4x12

John4021

So,
I have a VH4 pumping into 2 Diezel 4x12 Scumback loaded cabs.
Whats the Front loaded going to do for me.

Love the tone I have right now so will adding the FR 4x12 be just another cab or give me a bigger smile than I have going on now.

Front loaded will give you a punchier, more immediate attack. A touch tighter than a rear loaded cab.

no clue... try it and decide for your own I guess? I love the VH4 into a 2x12" rear-loaded, and also really like it on my 4x12" Sheffield speaker cab, which more or less quite cheap but still......., somehow harmonize...

I had the exact opposite reaction than apex1rg7x above.
I owned two Diezel 4x12 FL cabs with V30’s when I got my first VH4……the cabs sounded like Mesa Recto cabs to me. I traded in the FL cabs for RL cabs and never looked back….. the FL’s sounded boomy to me when I tried to turn up the DEEP knob. The RL cabs keep the bass tight.
That’s my two cents anyway….

There was no "ahha" moment for me when I went from RL to FL. I've been playing an EVH RL 412 and a RL Whitebox 212 for many years and lusted for a FL Fryette FB412 and finally got one. Honestly, it's not worlds apart to me. A touch more low end is about all I notice. My RL 2x12 is actually more aggressive and in your face then the FL Fryette. The FB412 is a very nice cab no doubt, but not worlds apart to me.

Last edited:
There was no "ahha" moment for me when I went from RL to FL. I've been playing and EVH RL 412 and a RL Whitebox 212 for many years and lusted for a FL Fryette FB412 and finally got one. Honestly, it's not worlds apart to me. A touch more low end is about all I notice. My RL 2x12 is actually more aggressive and in your face then the FL Fryette. The FB412 is a very nice cab no doubt, but not worlds apart to me.
It probably could have been the speakers inside?

Very long time RL cab guy. Loved them for ever. I've tried several front loaded over the years and never liked the feel for vintage style amps and playing style. After getting a Diezel Herbert I ordered 2 new Diezel 4x12's with V30's. I wanted to compare first hand and because the Herbert blew the front baffle out of 2 cabs I had!
The Herbert sounds deep and huge with the FL cab and is tighter. Speakers have a quicker response with the FL. The RL cab's are alittle more forgiving and have a little different low end. A little more boom. To me they are more suitable for anything except modern tight metal. A vintage Marshall Super Lead will not benefit as much from a FL cab as it would a RL one. Same as a Bogner Twin Jet will benefit more from a FL cab than a RL one.
I do notice that the presence is more forward in a FL than a RL.
Absolutely love my FL Diezel cab. Took a few months to break in but when she did damn son! It's my main cab for everything now.

My 2 cents

FL cabs respond much faster IME, are very “pointy” (fizzy in your face top end and need to be eq’d for differently) and the bass is somewhat subdued, doesn’t surround you the way a RL does.

With my VH4 I prefer RL by a mile, and keep it hooked to a Mesa Recto 412 since getting one a few months ago. The Herbert is a tossup, it’s on top of two Diezel FL 412 cabs but I’m just as happy on that amp with a rear load.

So,
I have a VH4 pumping into 2 Diezel 4x12 Scumback loaded cabs.
Whats the Front loaded going to do for me.

Love the tone I have right now so will adding the FR 4x12 be just another cab or give me a bigger smile than I have going on now.
Live playing? Mic'd up? Recording? Home jamming?

Makes a different if ya give context - but "in the room" - FL is as described above - more immediate and in yer face. RL will "fill" the/your room, the cab becomes its own beast whereas with FL, the business end is all in the front. Both sound amazing. I use FL-G12K100, FL-UberKab, RL-OS412 Bogner with my Diezels. My fave is the UberKab, YMMV - jamming, gigging, home noodling, and for mic'ing, it's dope cuz I mic up a V30 and G12T75 - nice mix.

The G12K is thunderous...bloody hostile really, but for character?? I prefer the UberKab.

UnkleMo

Very long time RL cab guy. Loved them for ever. I've tried several front loaded over the years and never liked the feel for vintage style amps and playing style. After getting a Diezel Herbert I ordered 2 new Diezel 4x12's with V30's. I wanted to compare first hand and because the Herbert blew the front baffle out of 2 cabs I had!
The Herbert sounds deep and huge with the FL cab and is tighter. Speakers have a quicker response with the FL. The RL cab's are alittle more forgiving and have a little different low end. A little more boom. To me they are more suitable for anything except modern tight metal. A vintage Marshall Super Lead will not benefit as much from a FL cab as it would a RL one. Same as a Bogner Twin Jet will benefit more from a FL cab than a RL one.
I do notice that the presence is more forward in a FL than a RL.
Absolutely love my FL Diezel cab. Took a few months to break in but when she did damn son! It's my main cab for everything now.

My 2 cents
I been feeling like my is not broke I’m still . You give me hope . Lol it’s just not there yet . My FL that is

Live playing? Mic'd up? Recording? Home jamming?

Makes a different if ya give context - but "in the room" - FL is as described above - more immediate and in yer face. RL will "fill" the/your room, the cab becomes its own beast whereas with FL, the business end is all in the front. Both sound amazing. I use FL-G12K100, FL-UberKab, RL-OS412 Bogner with my Diezels. My fave is the UberKab, YMMV - jamming, gigging, home noodling, and for mic'ing, it's dope cuz I mic up a V30 and G12T75 - nice mix.

The G12K is thunderous...bloody hostile really, but for character?? I prefer the UberKab.

I actually prefer my uberkab to my FL DIEZEL atm . But the Diezel is not broke In yet . But still the Uberkab just has something for me

I been feeling like my is not broke I’m still . You give me hope . Lol it’s just not there yet . My FL that is
They take some time and some SPLs to work in like any other cab - but either way - RL or FL - they won't disappoint, it's more just what "job" do you want them to do.

They take some time and some SPLs to work in like any other cab - but either way - RL or FL - they won't disappoint, it's more just what "job" do you want them to do.
It’s slowly opening up . It’s still a lot darker than I pictured

It’s slowly opening up . It’s still a lot darker than I pictured
It will come around lol. Mine was darker than I was expecting when I got it. I didn't hear tons of differences between the FL and RL when I first got them. It took several months before they separated themselves. I still like RL cab's but for me and what I play the FL took the cake!
Love both the FL and RL Diezel 4x12's and neither is the lesser. As stated before it really comes down to what you play and how you want to play it :rock:

It will come around lol. Mine was darker than I was expecting when I got it. I didn't hear tons of differences between the FL and RL when I first got them. It took several months before they separated themselves. I still like RL cab's but for me and what I play the FL took the cake!
Love both the FL and RL Diezel 4x12's and neither is the lesser. As stated before it really comes down to what you play and how you want to play it :rock:
That’s good to know . I’ve heard I’m can take some time

May sounds like a dumb question as I bought this cab back in like 2007... but which one do I have? Front or rear loaded?

I like the way it sounds. Very tight and percussive. Not overly boomy. I recall back in 2007 I had a Mesa Recto 4X12 and the VH4 I had at the time was sooooo boomy. It would shake the neighborhood.

mesa_sean-76995555_155926369047222_2576582465861155606_n.jpg

mesa_sean-242000786_182540947322835_6573576902160343692_n.jpg

Back