Fryette Power Station

FourT6and2

Worth it? Nobody seems to have 'em in stock. Haven't seen them for a while. Are they slowing trickling out or is there some current delay?

I have the 50 watt and I love it. I've actually bought this one twice. I sold it thinking I could just use a captor. Wrong... it's just a handy piece of gear

Worth it? Nobody seems to have 'em in stock. Haven't seen them for a while. Are they slowing trickling out or is there some current delay?
It seems like they can be a little hard to get a new one towards the end of the year (it was the same last year for me).

I was able to eventually buy a new PS-100 this year but I had to keep looking for them and I was placed on a waiting list.

Also, the used ones rarely come up for sale.

They do sound great and they can really help get that loud amp tone at a lower volume.

I tried it with my JMP-1 as well as with a few amps and it sounded great with all of them.

Worth it if you have amps that rely on the output stage working hard to sound good, and you want to use them down to TV volume.

If you want to knock say up to 12dB off, a quality attenuator does the job very well - with less hassle and expense. We did a long and boring video on attenuators vs. the power station if you're feeling masochistic: Attenuator shootout

I run a Ps2 with my SL67 and it sounds great…the loop is handy as well.

I haven’t compared it to any others but it’s nicer than using the ppimv.

I try not to buy from Reverb. This thing is carried in stores like GC, Musician's Friend, Sweetwater, Zzounds, etc. But I suppose I could call up those stores listing it on Reverb and buy direct.

Worth it if you have amps that rely on the output stage working hard to sound good, and you want to use them down to TV volume.

If you want to knock say up to 12dB off, a quality attenuator does the job very well - with less hassle and expense. We did a long and boring video on attenuators vs. the power station if you're feeling masochistic: Attenuator shootout

My amps all have master volumes that work fairly well, but I live in an apartment. And it'd be nice to get the amps cooking a bit more and then use something like the power station to bring the volume down so I don't piss my neighbors off. One of my amps (Mako Dorado) needs the master to be up fairly high because the tone stack and NFB circuit are a bit interactive. My other amps are Bogner Helios and a Jose mod 800 I built. That said... being able to put time-based effects AFTER the power section would be dope. So the loop on the power station might be worth it.

I love my PS100. The loop is a bonus. I have run my Caswell, both Myasnikov’s, SLO100 and the ADA MP1 through it. All nice.

My amps all have master volumes that work fairly well, but I live in an apartment. And it'd be nice to get the amps cooking a bit more and then use something like the power station to bring the volume down so I don't piss my neighbors off. One of my amps (Mako Dorado) needs the master to be up fairly high because the tone stack and NFB circuit are a bit interactive. My other amps are Bogner Helios and a Jose mod 800 I built. That said... being able to put time-based effects AFTER the power section would be dope. So the loop on the power station might be worth it.
If you're a man of fine tastes and not on a thrifty budget then yeah, a PS sounds like it would be a worthwhile addition.

A thought though - as someone who knows their way around a soldering iron you could always just make a DIY reactive load and then pair it with a decent SS power amp. For low volume playing, another tube amp in the chain is pretty unnecessary IMO. You don't really need a loop for this, your FX go between the load and the power amp.

The 100 sounds better than the 50? I really don't need a 100w version since I won't be boosting any low-power amps up to 50-100w.

I try not to buy from Reverb. This thing is carried in stores like GC, Musician's Friend, Sweetwater, Zzounds, etc. But I suppose I could call up those stores listing it on Reverb and buy direct.
ROFL, I'd take any of the stores listed over friggin guitar center...

Since discovering cathode bias and low B+ grid bias with severe underbias, I don’t think I’ll be needing a PS.

My Rivera M60 is 440v but has a half power switch that knocks it down to 220v B+. I run the bias up to 32 watts at idle (maxed) in Hi power which yields 14 watts per tube in Lo power. This gets that classic addictive EVH tonality even at whisper levels, and the heaters/preamp tubes are all at nominal current/voltages too. Amp still gets plenty loud to jam with a band as well, even in triode mode!

High idle bias seems to be the real key to power amp tone and vibe at any volume. I encourage all my bros here to try this or get a cathode bias amp like an Orange Terror/Rocker 30 and get that resistor value right.

The Rivera even has a resistor padded down lo Z line out from the speaker jack I use to slave it to an old silver stripe Peavey Transtube. It’s the wet amp for delay/modulation.

I swear guys, once you get into low voltage high bias land, there’s no going back.

Since discovering cathode bias and low B+ grid bias with severe underbias, I don’t think I’ll be needing a PS.

My Rivera M60 is 440v but has a half power switch that knocks it down to 220v B+. I run the bias up to 32 watts at idle (maxed) in Hi power which yields 14 watts per tube in Lo power. This gets that classic addictive EVH tonality even at whisper levels, and the heaters/preamp tubes are all at nominal current/voltages too. Amp still gets plenty loud to jam with a band as well, even in triode mode!

High idle bias seems to be the real key to power amp tone and vibe at any volume. I encourage all my bros here to try this or get a cathode bias amp like an Orange Terror/Rocker 30 and get that resistor value right.

The Rivera even has a resistor padded down lo Z line out from the speaker jack I use to slave it to an old silver stripe Peavey Transtube. It’s the wet amp for delay/modulation.

I swear guys, once you get into low voltage high bias land, there’s no going back.
I like this idea and I believe it wholeheartedly; but I’m too stupid to understand it. My brain doesn’t work like this. I’m a better plumber than electrician. So when it comes to power, bias, tubes etc , I just use something that sounds good enough to me then fiddle with the preamps that I have for color. Maybe I could get my sound right with 1 power and pre- if I had an electrical/physics mind. Instead I use 2 preamps and 2 power amps all the time and add a 3rd for solos. It works. Probably overkill BUT.

PS-100 is the best piece of equipment i have bought in awhile. Incredible functionality. I have some vintage amps without loops so the fx loop in the 100 was a real treat. I never liked the delay/reverb going through the front end. Redirecting these type of effects out of the amp into the 100 makes your pedals shine. It allows me to push the power section on my Marshalls to the sweet spot then tweak with the Fryette EQ. Having the 2nd channel as a boost solves the age old problem of boosting single channel amps with no loop which are the type of amps I prefer. Research this item and these benefits seem to stand out amongst many users. Old school volume knob rider 50's wiring guitar player here so this unit is a blessing for me. I had to wait 4 months for mine last year and worth the wait. Seems to be some issues surrounding the customer service with Fryette but haven't had to go there myself. Small company with big surge sales so their appear overwhelmed.

Last edited:
Back