Fryette PS-2

dvoricci

Never really had a need for attenuation, I can play loud in my studio, but I’ve been messing with this guy today. (Fryette PS-2). Picked it up at the Greater Pittsburgh Guitar show. It’s a cool piece of gear. If I ever decide to listen to a sound guy, It could even be cool in the live rig. Anyone digging on these? Also used the Tone King one for a bit, I prefer the Fryette.

Attachments

• 2E8E797A-FDBE-4587-ABD5-BBACA8C8A2BC.jpeg
    2E8E797A-FDBE-4587-ABD5-BBACA8C8A2BC.jpeg
    732.1 KB · Views: 785
I just sold mine to Jerry from FJA last week. I kinda regret it but I wanted to pay to get my amp modded. I ended up getting a two notes captor but the attenuation just doesnt cut it. So now Im in the market for an attenuator.

I used one with an old Plexi and metal panel Marshall Super Lead. I thought it worked really well. Sold it when I sold those amps, but am considering getting another to power a Kemper or some other digital thing.

I got one from a member here a while ago as I generally do not play all that loud, but wanted to be able to bring the volume up of my amps a bit to push the tubes a bit. It is a fantastic piece and the tone really is unchanged, although some amps it seems to roll off the highs a touch, however is easily dialed back in with either the Presence knob on the PS-2 or flipping the Treble toggle. I leave everything flat and the Presence and Depth at noon otherwise.

Been using my PS-2 a lot recently as I got into tube preamps and its my power amp for that setup. So many ways to use the PS-2 and you can even use the internal load as the load for the internal power amp.

Currenlty my friend is borrowing it, loved hearing his response when he was able to really crank his '69 twin reverb. He said he really couldn't get it to break up, but no surprise there. I mean its a twin :)

The original Powerstation lives in my Sound City rig....allows me to use my Echolution and Spacerace in the loop and tames the roaring beast.

Amazing piece of gear

Qweklain":17zvv1vi said:
I got one from a member here a while ago as I generally do not play all that loud, but wanted to be able to bring the volume up of my amps a bit to push the tubes a bit. It is a fantastic piece and the tone really is unchanged, although some amps it seems to roll off the highs a touch, however is easily dialed back in with either the Presence knob on the PS-2 or flipping the Treble toggle. I leave everything flat and the Presence and Depth at noon otherwise.

I did notice it draws a small portion of the highs out on a couple of my amps, but nothing crazy. Otherwise no degradation in sound. Something really cool is there’s huge volume sweep from 7 up on my Ceriatone Chupacabra 50, so with the PS2 I can get into that tonal range in the studio without insane volume.

I have an amp with a terrible effects loop. Has anyone done a 4CM with a power station? Any issues with that setup?

I’m curious how the PS2 compares to the Boss Tube Amp Expander from an attenuation perspective. I’m in the market for a good attenuator for home use. Seems like the Boss unit has tons of features.

JSutter":17atr324 said:
I have an amp with a terrible effects loop. Has anyone done a 4CM with a power station? Any issues with that setup?

I use the onboard PS-2 loop with my Ceriatone. Works great. I know a lot of guys are digging the added loop with older JCM 800’s.

dvoricci":1k8sbm2t said:
JSutter":1k8sbm2t said:

I use the onboard PS-2 loop with my Ceriatone. Works great. I know a lot of guys are digging the added loop with older JCM 800’s.

I should clarify. I use an RP1000 4CM. I was wondering if there could be any extra noise or ground loops. I don't want any surprises.

I’m planning on buying one this year. I can play fairly loud in the “studio” but I’d like to really crank my amps into their sweet spots. I also have an old Fender that would be cool to crank up and add a loop.

The ability to power modelers or preamps with it is a bonus.

My PS-2 has gotten very little use with my amps because they all have excellent master volumes.

However, it got a lease of life after I paired it with my new laptop setup.

This video shows how I'm using it in a band context. I'm using a Strandberg 8 through Cubase VST Amp Rack through a Fryette Power Station into an Emperor 4x12 that is miced up. Drums were triggered using a Roland TD-30 into The Metal Foundry. Bass is a Warwick into a Microtubes 900.

Music by me, lyrics are from Slayer's Mandatory Suicide, check it out. I really think this is a great setup someone could consider if they need a computer for recording but also want to get the most mileage possible out of it by using it live. Cheers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc_j5zqrMyk

PS: If you don't like my voice (and most people don't!), try this video for size: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai1tJJs3d-U

nightlight":3le7jhq1 said:
My PS-2 has gotten very little use with my amps because they all have excellent master volumes.

However, it got a lease of life after I paired it with my new laptop setup.

This video shows how I'm using it in a band context. I'm using a Strandberg 8 through Cubase VST Amp Rack through a Fryette Power Station into an Emperor 4x12 that is miced up. Drums were triggered using a Roland TD-30 into The Metal Foundry. Bass is a Warwick into a Microtubes 900.

Music by me, lyrics are from Slayer's Mandatory Suicide, check it out. I really think this is a great setup someone could consider if they need a computer for recording but also want to get the most mileage possible out of it by using it live. Cheers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc_j5zqrMyk

PS: If you don't like my voice (and most people don't!), try this video for size: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai1tJJs3d-U

Cool. What are the connections to the PS-2 from the computer? Just out from the interface to the top 'line in' jack on the PS-2?

I'd love to try this someday with Overloud and Fortin Nameless.

JSutter":2yubaqc0 said:
dvoricci":2yubaqc0 said:
JSutter":2yubaqc0 said:

I should clarify. I use an RP1000 4CM. I was wondering if there could be any extra noise or ground loops. I don't want any surprises.

I did notice in a few cases, when my pedals running from the isolated loop were on the same power supply as pedals to the front of the amp, I got a lot of ground noise/squealing.

Back