Fryette Ultra Lead vs Wizard MTL KT150

Through the same cab and in the room, sure they are going to sound similar on an iPhone clip. But man you gotta mic them . I guarantee anyone who thinks these amps are that similar will not think that at all when you actually hear them.

Nah man. I made a thread a while back about how cell phone micing is useless and helps absolutely nobody for any purposes whatsoever (which is still true btw) so now the cool and contrarian thing to do is post clips of expensive gear recorded with the worst mics in existence to pwn the haterz.

Besides, I'm surprised you didn't know that cell phone recordings totally, definitely let you know what an amp sounds like in the room bruh! It's just like being there! :D Especially if you live in a tile bathroom the size of an apartment.

Nah man. I made a thread a while back about how cell phone micing is useless and helps absolutely nobody for any purposes whatsoever (which is still true btw) so now the cool and contrarian thing to do is post clips of expensive gear recorded with the worst mics in existence to pwn the haterz.

Besides, I'm surprised you didn't know that cell phone recordings totally, definitely let you know what an amp sounds like in the room bruh! It's just like being there! :D Especially if you live in a tile bathroom the size of an apartment.

It is what it is. iphone is the best your gonna get from me. Don't have the time, patience or desire to figure out actual recording with a mic. I'm not a youtuber or in it for the views.

People get butthurt if I post a pic of my high $ amp but no clips. Well there's a clip...and of course it's not gonna be good enough for some. lol

Last edited:
It is what it is. iphone is the best your gonna get from me. Don't have the time, patience or desire to figure out actual recording with a mic. I'm not a youtuber or in it for the views.

People get butthurt if I post a pic of my high $ amp but no clips. Well there's a clip...and of course it's not gonna be good enough for some. lol

That's totally cool, and I get it. You like guitars and amps. Recording is not something you get jazzed up about and that's fine. It's not a matter of the recording not being "good enough" or anything like that though.

All I'm saying is that by recording your gear with a phone whose camera is facing the amp and/or the player (which means the mic is facing the floor and only capturing room reflections), you're only really showing people that you have X gear and that you like playing through it, because aside from that, you're only displaying what that stuff sounds like when recorded extremely poorly and with a cheap mic, from across the room. You're not showing people what it sounds like mic'd in the traditional sense or "in the room."

Again, you do you man. If all you want to show people is that you have gear and that you're having a good time playing through it, all good. Go nuts. :) You don't have to dress in your sunday best to go to Sears and you shouldn't feel like you have to rent studio time to post casual guitar clips online or whatever.

My main issue is mostly with people who post stuff that is presented in a scientific way, like "scientific amp shootout - amp A vs B" or "JCM 800 tone test," and then record it with a cell phone that's just sort of thrown down in some random spot in the echoey concrete garage. That's the waste of time I'm talking about.

Last edited:
That's totally cool, and I get it. You like guitars and amps. Recording is not something you get jazzed up about and that's fine. It's not a matter of the recording not being "good enough" or anything like that though.

All I'm saying is that by recording your gear with a phone whose camera is facing the amp and/or the player (which means the mic is facing the floor and only capturing room reflections), you're only really showing people that you have X gear and that you like playing through it, because aside from that, you're only displaying what that stuff sounds like when recorded extremely poorly and with a cheap mic, from across the room. You're not showing people what it sounds like mic'd in the traditional sense or "in the room."

Again, you do you man. If all you want to show people is that you have gear and that you're having a good time playing through it, all good. Go nuts. :) You don't have to dress in your sunday best to go to Sears and you shouldn't feel like you have to rent studio time to post casual guitar clips online or whatever.

My main issue is mostly with people who post stuff that is presented in a scientific way, like "amp shootout - amp A vs B" or "JCM 800 tone test," and then record it with a cell phone that's just sort of thrown down in some random spot in the echoey concrete garage. That's the waste of time I'm talking about.

I get what you are saying… and i agree. I don’t rely on any internet clips… I just buy the amp and play it for myself.

That being said, you still “wasted your time” watching it… didn’t you.… even though you could see it was an iphone video. 🤣

I get what you are saying… and i agree. I don’t rely on any internet clips… I just buy the amp and play it for myself.

That being said, you still “wasted your time” watching it… didn’t you.… even though you could see it was an iphone video. 🤣

Well to be perfectly fair, I pressed play and when I realized it was a cell phone clip, I didn't just immediately click it off, but I did stop listening critically and instead started clicking around to see if the scenery changed to reveal more of that truly kick ass setup you've got there. :D

Seriously dude that's an amazing room. Ultra Leads and Wizard MTLs are truly incredible amps.

Well to be perfectly fair, I pressed play and when I realized it was a cell phone clip, I didn't just immediately click it off, but I did stop listening critically and instead started clicking around to see if the scenery changed to reveal more of that truly kick ass setup you've got there. :D

Seriously dude that's an amazing room. Ultra Leads and Wizard MTLs are truly incredible amps.

i wonder if something like this might make it sound better…..

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...go-pla-btb-catchall--slid---product-HMY62ZM/B

If you ask me all clips suck if the base line is what the amp sounds like in the room. Doesn't matter what phone your using or what studio your in. No recording technique or play back system actually reproduces the experience of being in the room with a amp. It's not even physically possible.
I certainly don't use clips to decide anything about gear. I see other people do this all the time. I have seen many people give opinions on gear they have never used and entire experience with the gear is clips.

From the clip, the Wizard sounds bit brighter and a little more snarl in the upper mids. The UL is dryer and has more low-end? Hard to get a sense for the lows in this clip but that's my takeaway.

The Wizard sounds better to me, but I like sizzle and saturation. That Pitbull sounded good too, but the Wizard seems a bit more old school to me. I don’t think anything sounds like a Pitbull. It has its own sound completely, imho.

Thanks for the comments. I actually find the UL and the KT150 MTL to have a lot of similar characteristics. Probably why they're the only amps I've kept around for years. I personally like the MTL more, but I have friends who prefer the UL. The MTL would always be my first choice, but I could honestly be happy with either one of them.

Back