Fryette Ultralead/CLX/Sig X

That's another thing to look out for with VHT in general. Especially the Ultra Lead. At some point, I think early 2000s maybe they made a big design change with the phase inverter.

The pre change Ultraleads are not as aggressive. I had one and my 100CL blew it out of the water. I'd say be sure the PI is an ax7 and not an au7 if you get a UL (the older models also had a kt88/6l6 switch on the back)
The change was around 1995. The original UL had 2 pi tubes. Around '95 they changed to 1 pi tube for a year. The next year they went back to 2 pi tubes, and the design stayed the same until now.

I couldn't get enough gain out of the SigX for the life of me. Didn't matter how hard I picked, the only way to do it was to crank both gains and then it became super muddy. The first channel is great, though.

UL is cool but I just don't love KT88s. They always sound hollow to me. I don't think you'd be missing much with the CL-X. I'd get a Deliverance.
Same for me second time around. My first was Sig was way earlier model, like one of the earliest based on the serial "that I could tell".

Now at that time I was gigging, recording, and rehearsing heavily i.e. we were either on the road, rehearsing or recording over about a two year stretch. My chops had never been better and my amp choice came down between the Sig and a JVM. It was close but I went with the JVM and have been with that amp since. However that Sig just seemed to have more gain because it was right there with the JVM. Basically it was the Marshall mids that won out, not the amount of gain.

Tracked down another Sig a few years ago and frankly it needed a boost to get the gain where I liked. More than likely it was me that changed as I doubt there was anymore gain in that initial run. Probably just where I was at that point as a player but yeah now, it's close but the Sig to me "at this point" needs some help.

I have owned a 2011 UL, a VHT branded D120, VHT D60 and a Pittbull Classic combo (CLR). I did not gel with my UL. I loved my Classic but hated the combo format so pounced on an opportunity for a CLX when it was underpriced on GC online.

Currently own a Fryette Sig:X and 2007 VHT CLX (along with a GP/DI and Power Station) as far as Fryette amps go. Either can frankly get as heavy as you'd ever want. I'm not sure how you'd need more gain on tap. They're both very percussive... particularly the CLX. The Sig:X feels more saturated to me. When I bought the Sig:X, I was very close to buying a Ecstasy 101B, but the Sig just seemed to do everything the Bogner could do... just better and more clear.

Neither really does the Deliverance thing, though the Sig:X comes closer.

The Sig:X green channel is closest to a Hiwatt and behaves like a wonderful NMV amp.

The CLX is also super versatile but I prefer the Sig:X clean channel overall. I would say the Sig:X is a lot more dynamics/touch responsive also. Any channel can behave like a single channel amp with your guitar volume rollback to a clean, though I'll say the Deliverance is still the best amp I've played at going from a really beautiful clean to a punishing distortion with just the roll of a volume knob.

The CLX is percussive and my favorite amp for heavier, tight sounds. No OD necessary though sometimes I use it to thin out the low end (standard SD-1 with drive at 0, volume and tone to taste).

Ive had all of the above. They're all good in their own right. But, I will say the one I loved and still regret getting rid of is an early D60 with the choke! That's the one! And knowing your tastes in amps, it would be the one I would recommend.

Most importantly I guess, I think the Sig:X is a lot more versatile in the mid-gain realm - it can do a very good Marshall impression, it's voiced brighter, and the adjustable boost is really useful for classic rock type stuff.
My experience as well with the Sig:X; that Rhythm channel is the shizzle and really can cover a lot of ground.
But I grew tired of the dry KT88 tone...more of an EL34 guy myself. And while it had plenty of gain, it was the type of gain that made you feel like you wanted even more...in a tight, but liquidy saturated way, which most Engl or most Mesa Marks can deliver.

Ive had all of the above. They're all good in their own right. But, I will say the one I loved and still regret getting rid of is an early D60 with the choke! That's the one! And knowing your tastes in amps, it would be the one I would recommend.
That was the one I wanted as well when I was going through my VHT phase and at that time no effects loop or even the avenue to put one in was just a no go. But for me I still think it's the best sounding VHT I've heard.

My experience as well with the Sig:X; that Rhythm channel is the shizzle and really can cover a lot of ground.
But I grew tired of the dry KT88 tone...more of an EL34 guy myself. And while it had plenty of gain, it was the type of gain that made you feel like you wanted even more...in a tight, but liquidy saturated way, which most Engl or most Mesa Marks can deliver.
Yep, totally agree. And the reason it didn't stand out as much to me at the time were my chops were never better where even the gain on my other amps weren't jacked up. To me though with Steve's stuff if you don't have your stuff together it ain't easy even on the Sig X which I always thought was one of his more forgiving amps.

Man, I always go back and forth whether I like VHTs/Fryettes. Jammed mine today mostly because of this thread and got a pretty crushing tone. Other days it seems just not to be my thing because of the mid range.

Man, I always go back and forth whether I like VHTs/Fryettes. Jammed mine today mostly because of this thread and got a pretty crushing tone. Other days it seems just not to be my thing because of the mid range.
When I went through my giant amp purge earlier this year it made me evaluate a lot of my conventions about the tone I wanted. I want something hyper cutting and tight where you can hear every note...but then dry...but saturated....with huge bass frequencies...but tracks fast...but only sometimes....basically I always want something that doesn't exist haha. But, I remember these unique tones that I don't use every time I play but have their place and make me play a certain way and that's kind of how I feel about the Fryette.

When I went through my giant amp purge earlier this year it made me evaluate a lot of my conventions about the tone I wanted. I want something hyper cutting and tight where you can hear every note...but then dry...but saturated....with huge bass frequencies...but tracks fast...but only sometimes....basically I always want something that doesn't exist haha. But, I remember these unique tones that I don't use every time I play but have their place and make me play a certain way and that's kind of how I feel about the Fryette.
Totally hear you on all this. I know for myself I just naturally gravitate toward big low end, scooped, and pissed sounding. Rectos, Ubers always been my thing. I’m open to other stuff, but these typically wind up being my favorites. The world of modded Marshalls recently opened up to me too, which I’m discovering are very different from my usual go tos but I love them as well.

I loved the tone of the Sig X but it wasn’t fun to play. It’s like even with a great high gain sound the notes disappeared fast. Mine was slightly microphonic too.

I’m a much better lead player now so I’d like to give it another try. I’d also love to play a deliverance with a loop.

Pretty much all the Fryette amps are slight variations of 4 preamp. 2 clean. All the amps have one or the other. The UL II is going to have both. 2 high gain. The Deliverance is based on the lower gain / more bass of the two high gain. All of them have The same amount of gain that are based on the two high gain channels. The big difference in the various amps is the power amp. The preamp are all pretty much the same.

This is how Steve explained it to me basically.

Last edited:
Same for me second time around. My first was Sig was way earlier model, like one of the earliest based on the serial "that I could tell".

Now at that time I was gigging, recording, and rehearsing heavily i.e. we were either on the road, rehearsing or recording over about a two year stretch. My chops had never been better and my amp choice came down between the Sig and a JVM. It was close but I went with the JVM and have been with that amp since. However that Sig just seemed to have more gain because it was right there with the JVM. Basically it was the Marshall mids that won out, not the amount of gain.

Tracked down another Sig a few years ago and frankly it needed a boost to get the gain where I liked. More than likely it was me that changed as I doubt there was anymore gain in that initial run. Probably just where I was at that point as a player but yeah now, it's close but the Sig to me "at this point" needs some help.
Yeah, I don't even generally use that much gain, so I don't know why the SigX couldn't cut it for me. I thought a preamp tube was dead so I retubed the whole thing. Nope. For reference, on amps like the 5150s, I usually set gain around 4/10 with no boost. The SigX barely got that with both gains cranked and then it sounded like a muddy mess, as it got way too saturated. I didn't find that amp "unforgiving" at all.

I had a similar experience with my Sig X. It felt under gained. The issue turned out to be the bias in the poweramp was set too low. Once it was set to the recommended bias the feel and sound all came back.

I had a similar experience with my Sig X. It felt under gained. The issue turned out to be the bias in the poweramp was set too low. Once it was set to the recommended bias the feel and sound all came back.
Interesting. I don't know if I checked the bias on it, but it did seem to thicken up the louder I played it. The problem was that I had to play it stupidly loud and I didn't have my power station at that time. I also wasn't convinced that the sound was really for me, regardless. I ended up trading it for my Bogner 101b, which is my favorite amp ever, so I ain't mad :LOL:

I kinda lost my mind once I bought my first UL. It was blondie up top. Had to have a spare. And then another spare. Welcome to rigtalk.
1_079(1).jpg

I just hope that the new UL mk2 is gonna be more rich in its tone.... as what i do recall on previous episode of his talk show as he mention the new UL is gonna be a complete turn table....

Back