Gary Moore

For me his pinnacle is The End of The World. Killer tone and great song. I did like Still got The Blues era but not as much. But a lot of guys go back to the blues when they get older etc. Understandable. The Thing he did with Baker and Bruce was cool too for a minute.

I got into Gary when Still Got the Blues was released. Worked by way backward in his catalogue. I was say that without Gary Moore there would be no Joe Bonamassa. Intensity is a perfect way to describe his playing.

Awesome player I listen to him often. I read once where he said he did not want to get stuck playing the blues and wanted to get back to being more known for a rock player but his blues venture was so popular that's what stuck for a lot of people. To me though his blues ventures are defiantly more rock orientated.

Awesome player I listen to him often. I read once where he said he did not want to get stuck playing the blues and wanted to get back to being more known for a rock player but his blues venture was so popular that's what stuck for a lot of people. To me though his blues ventures are defiantly more rock orientated.
I had read that he was actually working on music more akin to Wild Frontier/Irish/Celtic prior to his death. He actually played some of it live prior to his death as well. Was planning a tour and the whole 9 yards.

I loved Gary, he's one of my top players. His influence is all over my playing. In fact two of my other favorites are derivatives of Gary. i.e. Sykes and Campbell.

That said, I could never get into his blues turn. I simply didn't "feel it", like all his playing before. It just never spoke to me and frankly I often wondered if Gary took that turn because he felt his best shot at longevity was stepping into that mode as at times, it felt forced to me. Again, that's just my opinion.

As @napalmdeath said it appeared he was heading back to his Irish roots and I couldn't have been happier but...there you go.

In fact my top favs in order are - Vandenberg (1st three albums), Gary Moore (pretty much anything pre-blues), Randy Rhoads, Neal Schon, Vivian Campbell, Scott Gorham, John Sykes, Jeff Carlisle of 38. Special and George Lynch (Dokken/Lynch Mob era). I have others ala the master EVH, Beck etc... but those guys for me are the tops, the guys that I can always listen too, be inspired and always come back too.

Last edited:
Gary was intense and a triple threat on vocals,songwriting and playing. He is one of my top five players and I liked his rock playing more than the blues stuff. Why has Guitar Player or Guitar World magazines not done a decent memorial to him? And while I'm at it please someone do a decent autobiography book on him.

Once I saw the Emerald Isle footage on TV in the 80’s it was all over for me. Got the We Want More live album then Corridors of Power and pretty much anything I could get my hands on. Even the G Force stuff. Some cool, new wavy guitar rock with those guys. He plays with such control while sounding out of control..lol. He doesn’t hit any note, in any way that he didn’t want to. For his rock stuff, I keep going back to Run For Cover. Has just one of the best hard rock guitar tones I’ve ever heard on it. Plus some cool Glen Hughes vocals. Gary should also be talked about as a great song writer and vocalist. What a talent. He and Angus taught me to use vibrato with conviction.

Last edited:
One of the best to ever live. It literally just poured out of him. So sad and tragic how much talent was extinguished with his passing. RIP GM

I love how Gary kept his blues roots even when he ventured to more heavier stuff. Gary, Eric Johnson, Kee Marcello and Rex Carroll all blues influenced guys and killer players.

Blues in guitar playing seems to be long gone unfortunatelly. I think Frank put it the best in this video:

Ya know, years ago I was just out of the Army and I picked up Still Got the Blues....that's when I really started working on vibrato and basic stuff; I would jam to this album often and I definitely became a better lead player just working on basic blues stuff. I kinda re learned 'how to walk' a bit as I was more into trying to play fast etc...glad I did.

For me, Emerald Aisles, Corridors of Power, We Want Moore, Run for Cover and Victims of the Future were the absolute pinnacle of Gary's playing for me. One of my Top 5 for sure.

His blues playing was killer but it didn't really speak to me like his earlier stuff did.

Back