GASing for a Bogner

Ive tried 20th Shiva , XTC 101B , 20th XTC, Eclipse ,Uberschall ........ I would go for an XTC of some kind like you mentioned. The Shivas have incredible cleans. The drive channel is a strange one , it has a nice aggressive bark to it but its also fuzzy in the low-end. Its very focused in the mids not as much lows as the other bogners. Uber was cool, great low-end but I found the mids sat in a weird place. Eclipse was super compressed, but if you like that type of thing it was cool.

My buddy had an older 101b that sounded killer, I bought a new one and it was not nearly as good. I also had a 20th XTC which I liked more but there was something about the 101b he had that was the best Bogner Ive heard. He ended up selling it ( I should have bought it ). I would be interested in trying the new Uberschall thats coming out and the XTC 3534 sounds very good from the clips.

Sharing this video I recorded for a friend and fellow RT member to put fuel on the GAS and to show that all of the comments about it being dark/compressed and nothing but low mids are all specific to their setup and how they dial it in:

This was recorded at well above TV volumes. You HAVE to get the power side cooking on these to wake them up, they aren’t bedroom amps at all. It’s by far the loudest amp I own even over my 6550 loaded refreshed 1974 Marshall.

Sounds good. But that's boosted right?

I lived in LA in the late 80s / early 90s when Reinhold was the service tech and Andy Brauer’s shop in North Hollywood. That was when he first transitioned from modding existing amps to building the original XTC. I played a very early 6L6 model at Andy’s place through a straight front 4x12 and thought there could be no better tone anywhere, period. I was pretty young at the time and couldn’t possibly afford one. Flash forward to a few years ago, I spotted and snapped up a very clean 6L6 XTC and ended up keeping it for less than 6 months. I don’t know how to describe it. It certainly didn’t sound ‘bad’ but it didn’t sound like I remembered, either. It was so smooth and so refined, it was almost too polite? But with the gain wound up on the Red channel, it just oozed that Steve Vai Skyscraper era glassy smooth lead tone. Now I wish I would have kept it.

I had a twin jet for a few weeks. It was good. No doubt. But had a Diezel VH4 same time which edged it out

I had a Rev. 2 Uber years ago. I liked it but got rid of it when I was in college since I never really played much (dorm room). When I got back into playing guitar more, I went through a bunch of different amps but never went back to the Uber for some reason. I had a VH4 for a few years but ultimately move on because it was just too compressed for me.

The 20th XTC is bad ass. So is the 20th shiva. The other shiva were hit or miss for me, some were awesome, and some were so/so. There is a shiva on Craigslist SF for 1200, at least there was a few days ago.
100% this - kept both the 20thA XTC (EL34) and the KT88 loaded 20thA Sheevs - they've been with me since their first drop onto the scene years ago. As well, the Rev.2, TwinJet (PurpleMod), etc. - but if it's a do all want all need all amp (back to the OP) - the XTC is hard to beat. Stock or 20thA, they're glorious amps.

Back