Gents .....allow me to introduce the PlexiPlus...........

first part of the clip had too much treble for my taste, Second part seemed better. But I bet it sounds killer there, and yeah, try not placing your 57 dead center with your amp dialed in that way, perhaps more towards the dustcap, might really get tasty and warm there. But I can hear the harmonics and pleasing drive.

Thanks for all the comments guys. I'm going to try and find the time to get a couple other clips done with different sounds such as a scooped drop D type thing which these amps do pretty well.

johnnyjellybean":3ol84spb said:
9ball":3ol84spb said:
alls i'm sayin is you could turn the treble down a few notches for my tastes lol.
otherwise it sounds good.

Yah I understand. It's personal taste. Sound is a subjective thing. For instance...... I just listened to your clip in your sig and to me it sounds like there's a wet blanket over the speakers........ but hey! Look at my room. maybe I'm just deaf. ;)

I listened to both, and yeah, Johnny's is a bit scratchy, I'm sure that'll dissapear in a band mix though. But I do also agree about the blanket thing. It's all taste. :thumbsup:

jmgman69":170zb4si said:
Man,just listened to it again and it sounds great the second time too!!!!! :rock:
I just played this amp for the 1st time 4 hours ago,
and I may have to go to the hospitol to get the damn smile removed via surgery..... :LOL: :LOL: You guys will not Fk'n believe,
what Steve has been able to build.
I got the 1st one outta the gate.... The one he made the clips with 01.10.
And right now for what I have here in front of me for what he charged...
I am one smart mother f#@ker. You better believe it.
I will do a NAD thread in the next day or so with pics......
F@#K this amp SMOKES! :yes: :rock: :rock: PURE TONE !

Hollywood":21889lb4 said:
jmgman69":21889lb4 said:
Man,just listened to it again and it sounds great the second time too!!!!! :rock:
I just played this amp for the 1st time 4 hours ago,
and I may have to go to the hospitol to get the damn smile removed via surgery..... :LOL: :LOL: You guys will not Fk'n believe,
what Steve has been able to build.
I got the 1st one outta the gate.... The one he made the clips with 01.10.
And right now for what I have here in front of me for what he charged...
I am one smart mother f#@ker. You better believe it.
I will do a NAD thread in the next day or so with pics......
F@#K this amp SMOKES! :yes: :rock: :rock: PURE TONE !

So I take it you like it. :LOL: :LOL: Thanks for the compliments Hollywood.
Just so you other guys know, there have been a couple revisions done since the clip in this thread was made. The amp now has a midrange/gain boost that has 2 different voicings with one being a little more aggressive than the other. There is also more gain on tap with max gain being about equal to a SLO100 or somewhere between channels 3 &4 on a VH4 . I also went to higher values on the main DC reservoir and power section filter caps so the amp is tighter in the bottom and all around more articulate while still retaining a really good feel. I'm right in the middle of production of 4 tunes for the next Nanette Workman blues album so I don't have time to do new clips right now but hopefully I'll get some up by next week. I also hope to have 3 amps done and ready to ship by the end of Nov. Being a single dad with a 5 yr old girl and making a living playing and producing music doesn't allow me much time to build amps so production of these will be limited.

Very cool! Have any pics of your original Metro build? I'm about to start building one of my own and I'm just curious about how your original build went and what transformers you used.

FourT6and2":3aowk5vz said:
Very cool! Have any pics of your original Metro build? I'm about to start building one of my own and I'm just curious about how your original build went and what transformers you used.
There was no "original Metro build". It was built as it is now. The amp starts with a metroamp kit but there are parts swapped out and quite a few NOS parts added (mainly caps) and a bunch other stuff. I used the Dagnall clone for the OT transformer

glassjaw7":2cwk7s4y said:
I didn't think it was overly bright at all. :confused: Sounded just right to my ears. As said earlier, in a mix it'd be perfect, and I think it sounds great on its own also. :thumbsup:

fook'n A :thumbsup: sounds real NICE!!!

9ball":nvtd9f6o said:
johnnyjellybean":nvtd9f6o said:
9ball":nvtd9f6o said:
alls i'm sayin is you could turn the treble down a few notches for my tastes lol.
otherwise it sounds good.

Yah I understand. It's personal taste. Sound is a subjective thing. For instance...... I just listened to your clip in your sig and to me it sounds like there's a wet blanket over the speakers........ but hey! Look at my room. maybe I'm just deaf. ;)

yeah the top one is "ok", but the next like 2 or 3 had bad mic placement. and other than that those were recorded on a boss BR that i never really tried to learn how to use really good lol. but yes i do dial it in with low treble/presence.
but the one at the top right now is a pretty close representation of what it sounds like - with my RG anyways lol. i have the presence on like 1.5, and the treble on 5 lol. i guess having it as a stock TSL gave me a complex about fizziness lol

Yeah lol. lol,lol oh wait, LOL!!!

Guys I talked To Steve on the phone earlier today.
He has done a terrific job of combining all the things he knows with this amp.
I need more time to play it before the NAD thread,
just due to wanting to be more accurate in descript without sounding all school girl.
I do know this, and I told Steve this very thing.
Alot of amps need help with more money spent on cabs, speakers, pickups etc..... YADA, YADA, YADA,....... :no: NOT THIS FK'R.....
.It has PURE TONE, WITH HARMONICS.....Very Full sounding in person.
Forget the damn clips......Try it for yourself.
Steve can and will deliver what, and I mean exactly what he say's he can/will.....
if you breakdown the costs, versus the actual costs,
of the items you get, and the fair money,
for a guy to have built this with his knowledge/tricks included, then his price is EXACTLY.........EXACTLY .........RIGHT. Fair as light skin. :LOL: :LOL:

Jay Strange":3nwgebe9 said:
Can ya post some clips of the amp with the new tweaks and the
amp without the boost??
Thanks, sounds killer!!

I won't be able to get new clips up until later this week. As far as the boost goes, it's off in the 1st half of the clip. I'll try and do some new clips as soon as I can because personally I like it better now. One thing that should be noted is that this amp is capable of a lot and just one clip will not be able to showcase all its colors.

PS: Did I mention that serial # 02 is available and ready to ship?

Back