Getting my amp fixed

eljodon

Hi Dave

I dropped my amp about a week ago, how long does it take to get my amp looked at? It's a Marsha 50w HBE/BE serial # 0024 and it keeps blowing power tubes, the transformer is quite loud compared to my other amps, and the amp squeals when I turn the Presence control up.

I would like to take the opportunity to upgraded it to 100 watts and put an FX loop while you have it and perhaps other things.Thanks Dave

George

LP Freak":lhwvzuuc said:
Does the tranny hum? Does it come from the PT?

Yes it does. It's been like that for some time but it's been working fine. I blew out the HT fuse about a week ago, when I replaced the fuse and turned the amp on, one of the JJ tubes was glowing bright red/orange. So I fugured it's a bad power tube,I replaced it with some old Mullards which worked fine but they're a bit worn out.I ordered some JJ's(EL34L's) and it happened again. I biased the tubes around 32 mA.

I had the same hum and replaced the PT with a Classic Tone and the amp's quiet as a mouse. My wasn't blowing out power tubes though.

LP Freak":1173mku8 said:
I had the same hum and replaced the PT with a Classic Tone and the amp's quiet as a mouse. My wasn't blowing out power tubes though.

I understand that Dave is probably really busy, judging from the amount of gear I saw laying around the shop when I dropped my amp.
His Amp is one of my favorites from the other 9 amps that I own. But the problem is that a person like me that works in my own pro studio and writes music for a living for TV shows with hard deadlines! If an amp goes down, I have to use something else that might not be the sound I'm after.
But that's what happens pretty much with any amp you buy, if it goes down, it takes at least a week to get it looked at and maybe 1 more week to get it fixed if they have the parts available.
The only way to avoid this issue, so you can keep working, is to buy 2 of each!LOL!
I've been trying to find the time to take the amp to get it modified for a year, but I keep getting asked to write rock cues and HBE/HB has the sounds that my clients like the most! So now I have no choice! lol!

eljodon":2u0rk1y0 said:
.....what happens pretty much with any amp you buy, if it goes down, it takes at least a week to get it looked at and maybe 1 more week to get it fixed if they have the parts available.

2 weeks?! :hys: You might want to ask Clark ('21_guitars') about how long the turnaround time has been on his amp. :no:

21_guitars said:
It's a shame you have to wait just like everyone else.

I don't know what you mean with this statement. But I use this amp to record guitar tracks for some of the music of one of the TV shows that I write for, so I guess I'm spoiled since the amp does what I need without having to spend a lot of time trying to get a specific sound that's needed for a cue. I guess I could use another amp and try to make it sound like the HBE/BE.
I never dealt with Dave since I bought my amp at another place, so I have no clue what's the usual waiting period to get the amp fixed or modified.

I sent a Marshall to him for modification on March 25 2013 and still waiting... the wait is much longer than it was years ago when I had it done. Hope that helps..

lespaul6":3ikshpaz said:
I sent a Marshall to him for modification on March 25 2013 and still waiting... the wait is much longer than it was years ago when I had it done. Hope that helps..

Thank you sir!

lespaul6":283018f7 said:

I think I sent mine back around the same time as well, might be a 6 to 8 month wait or longer now.

21_guitars":64728pw4 said:
lespaul6":64728pw4 said:

I think I sent mine back around the same time as well, might be a 6 to 8 month wait or longer now.

The man is busy!

Back