Gibson 500T?

Rex Rocker

So what is it like?

I remember trying it before, but it's been a looooooong time since I did.

I've read it's a triple ceramic magnet and around 15K. So is it comparable to the Duncan Black Winter? Distortion? What's the EQ like? And the output?

Thanks!

I prefer the aggressive mids of the A5 magnet 498T over the ceramic magnet 500T. The 500T sounds a bit scooped to my ears and IMHO I’d recommend just running a Duncan distortion over it instead for a more full sound.

The 498T is like a higher output/more aggressive mids SH-5 Duncan custom. It’s a great pickup.

Yeah, I like the 498T a lot myself too. But I was curious about the 500T. I would've liked it if it were like a 498T on steroids.

500T has a lot more push, slightly more bass and edge than 498T. Works very well with volume knob…on 8 it is 498 … on 6 490T. Last time I recorded with one, it hits the front end of recto so hard, I have not use tubescreamer, first time in my life 😀

It's a really interesting pickup. It can sound fantastic in some guitars and pretty lackluster in others. Lots of highs and lows. Quite aggressive and punchy. I wouldn't stick it in a bright guitar, but in something like an Explorer or all mahogany Les Paul it sounds killer.

Love it. My favorite pup in Les Pauls and not even close. Lots of grind, push...hits the front hard. As @bubucci said, dial it back a hair for heavy rhythms and full on for leads. That's pretty much my boost and cut with a slight volume boost in my switcher - been that way for years. It will clean up "some" the more you back off on a gain channel. Switch to a clean channel and dial it back dial it back a hair, and it'll do clean well.

Most of my playing days I preferred Alnico Pups until I switched to Les Pauls, I remember my favorite shredder guitar pups, the Duncan JB just feeling and sounding anemic in the Les Paul. Stuck the stock 500T back in it and it's been pretty much that way ever since for all of my Pauls. I've tried various pups ala Duncan Distortion, 498T etc... in my Paul but I stopped messing around years ago as the 500T is the sound I prefer in those guitars. If I did go with something Alnico in the Pauls, it'd be the 498T which is an underrated pup IMO. To me it's a little fatter sounding than the Duncan JB...in Pauls. For me, the 500T is a perfect match in those guitars but as always, everyone has their own take.

The PRS Tremonti pup as said above is a knockoff of the 500T albeit it's slightly smoother sounding than the 500T. The stock Tremonti pups in my Tremonti guitars are perfect...go figure. I had tried a 500T in one of them and it was just a hair too much. In fact I had tried several pups in my main Tremonti (Duncan, Dimarzio, Motor City, Fralin) only to stick the stock pup back in there and go wtf, that's perfect.

Last edited:
Yeah, I like the 498T a lot myself too. But I was curious about the 500T. I would've liked it if it were like a 498T on steroids.
As I always say - try it. Obviously the board is great for opinions all day but you'll never know until you try it yourself. I always personally disliked ceramic mag pups in other guitars I had owned in the past and yet the 500T became my fav pup in my Les Pauls. And the ceramic mag bridge Tremonti pup in my PRS's. So you never know until you try.

Last edited:
I had one in a les paul raw power...it was okay in that guitar. Had one in a sg that just ripped. This was years ago and I could have the models wrong. I sent the raw power back because of it. I was so fucking dumb back then. If it wasn't a burst bucker, 57 classic, or emg's, I hated it mostly. Weird.

Came stock in my Explorer. Convinced I could do better, I changed pickups over and over and over again (nice ones, like Afwayu, Aldrich, Nailbomb) and I'm still surprised that when I put the 500T back home, the guitar sounded better than ever. Go figure.

So what is it like?

I remember trying it before, but it's been a looooooong time since I did.

I've read it's a triple ceramic magnet and around 15K. So is it comparable to the Duncan Black Winter? Distortion? What's the EQ like? And the output?

Thanks!
Best thing I did for my Explorer and LP Classic was pull the 500t. Dead, lame, boring, compressed, dreadful pickup.
FWIW, in both guitars, I ended up with hotter PAF type pups, Godwood in the Explorer, Burstbucker 3 in the LP. So much better. Saved the guitars.

I'm actually not a PAF-type kinda guy. I have a set of Burstbucker 3/2 that I ripped off another guitar, and I'm not feeling those pickups, personally.

I'm actually not a PAF-type kinda guy. I have a set of Burstbucker 3/2 that I ripped off another guitar, and I'm not feeling those pickups, personally.
I love the BB1/BB2 setup in my traditional but hating the BB2/BB3 setup in my standard. I might convert my standard over to off white EMGs or buckle down and try these Aldrich’s everyone’s touting.

Came stock in my Explorer. Convinced I could do better, I changed pickups over and over and over again (nice ones, like Afwayu, Aldrich, Nailbomb) and I'm still surprised that when I put the 500T back home, the guitar sounded better than ever. Go figure.
well thanks for saving me the time! :) i have an explorer with the 496 and 500 that i've always thought about swapping out, but never got around to it.

So the general consensus seems to be that it's sorta scoopy with lots of lows and highs?
For me I just don't hear that scooped sound, maybe some do. We all hear things differently. Granted it's in Pauls i.e. maple top, mahogany body and my main amp is a Marshall so mids isn't really an issue for me.

Again opinions are across the board as this thread will show but it's that way for all gear. Personally I feel lucky that I don't have to chase the pickup beast anymore except for one guitar. My Pauls have 500T's, my Tremonti's the stock pups. Only guitar that I'm trying to settle is my Chubtone but waiting to put @scottosan 's Wicked Eight in that guitar to replace the JB. Got it a few weeks back but busted my damn finger the day I got it in the mail lol, ugh. Waiting for it to heal before dropping it in.

Last edited:
I’ve tried it in an Explorer and Les Paul Classic. It’s a great pickup, to me it’s what a ceramic JB might sound like. Duncan Distortion is similar but tighter and a better choice if you tune low. 500T is a little looser and better for more traditional hard rock / metal. It is compressed for sure and that can wear on you after awhile like a JB or Distortion can. But the notes just fly off it easily.

Last edited:
Back