Gibson buys Mesa Boogie

This is an interesting move, from a business perspective. They will face some challenges for sure. It seems that guitars are sold a lot more due to the lockdown and people looking for a new hobby. I think that the market for big wattage amps will become more and more a niche market. If you want to sell a lot of amps you also have to make it convenient for home use. Let's see what they do next with their "mini" amps. They sure have the knowhow.

Mesa is really expensive here in Europe. Perhaps they will come out with cheaper alternatives, just like Peavey and other guitar brands did?

I hope Mesa Amps will be much cheaper in Europe now.

They are like almost double the price here. At the very worst it should be a dollars = euros conversion.

I hope Mesa Amps will be much cheaper in Europe now.

They are like almost double the price here. At the very worst it should be a dollars = euros conversion.
If Gibson guitars are cheap in Europe than you have your answer but i don't think they are.

“Today, Gibson’s guitars are the best-ever and when they asked if we’d like to become Gibson’s Custom Shop for Amplifiers, we envisioned a perfect collaboration that would expand our outreach while preserving our legacy beyond my time.

“Gibson realizes the unique value of what we’ve all built together and this next chapter in the Mesa/Boogie story is a continuation of that dream. I am so fortunate for this partnership with the new Gibson after 50 years of doing what I love. It’s been the ride of my life… and it ain’t over yet!”

I saw a few places mention that Mesa Boogie was possibly in financial trouble. I found that surprising but I guess with 2020 and all touring shut down anything is possible. If that was the case I can understand the move to try ensure the future of the company especially given Randys age.

I saw a couple Boogie things in the press release pic that I hadn't seen before. Anybody know what these are?

oUoPQxmh.jpg

Wasn't the Gibson bankruptcy situation nearly two years ago now? They actually turned the quality control around pretty fast and their marketing was thru the roof. Does not surprise me a company like Gibson could turn things around and be ok by now. I was almost done with Gibson back then but my guitar is amazing and the others I've played are as well.

As others have mentioned, seems like a good move. I gasped when Fender bought up EVH and a bunch of other brands years ago but ended up being good for everyone involved. Sometimes brands need a kick in the ass.

Back