Gibson Corporation For Sale (Again)

glpg80

Heard through the grape vine Gibson investors aren’t realizing covid level returns post-covid and are looking to unload. It doesn’t help corporate building financing is likely up for renewal and rates are trash right now. This means Mesa and Gibson both are up for sale.

If you can find anymore info or articles on this post them here.

Uh oh. Looks like they need to sue Dean again, and several others soon!

At least there are plenty of Slash and Adam Jones models available for everyone!

:D

lol…the American corporate wheel turns. I can see the a boogie employees who were told, “don’t worry. nothing will change with your day to day” after the Gibson purchase doing a little exasperated…..Fuuuuhck.
But don’t worry guys, Randall’s doing great!
The second your company declares bankruptcy or is being bought out by somebody, start looking for another job. They’ll string you along while they get things in order and a mass decline in productivity might tank the value, so the pep talks and meetings start to keep the minions working up to par. Keep the stock going.
2006…After a year of these “meetings”. OK, here’s the good news. We have positions for some of you if you can relocate to Atlanta!”
We were a Seattle company.

Oh the merriment if Fender bought them.

Mooer or some other Chinese company should buy Gibson. The response from Gibson players would be entertaining and well worth it. :D Until they realize the jump in value of their guitars.

FWIW, the only Gibson I own is a Steinberger made under Gibson ownership; I had four, down to the last one that I'll keep.

Mooer or some other Chinese company should buy Gibson. The response from Gibson players would be entertaining and well worth it. :D Until they realize the jump in value of their guitars.

FWIW, the only Gibson I own is a Steinberger made under Gibson ownership; I had four, down to the last one that I'll keep.

I’m honestly more concerned with Mesa and the agreement that was made during acquisition of current investors and how that could all change under new owners. Gibson has been trying to improve things but it takes money to make money while not cutting corners and it’s undoubtedly scary there’s potential for another Norlin type of era of corner cutting on the horizon. The only thing that saved Norlin Gibsons value wise was their happy accident to use quartersawn 3 piece maple necks not for their tone for metal, but to eliminate the warranty repairs of mahogany necks.

Gibson was bought by KKR back in late 2018. I don’t know which of their funds made the purchase, but private equity funds usually have a 10 year lifespan (sometimes with a 2 year extension option). During that time the PE house has a period during which to invest their investors’ money (e.g. buy companies) and a period during which to turn them around (i.e. mash them together with other companies / sell bits off / shut bits down / start up new business lines, etc) to make them more valuable, before having to sell them on so that they can send money back to their investors and wind up the fund at the end of its lifecycle. Big managers like KKR will have multiple funds “on the go” at any time.

Before selling, the PE house has to decide whether to sell a company or, if they think they can make a business even more valuable, flip it into another of their funds and continue owning it.

Looking at timing, my guess is that KKR have hit the point where they have had to decide whether to look to sell Gibson or carry on their ownership. I suppose they’ve decided that Gibson has gone up enough in value to warrant selling it now and/or that getting even more value out of Gibson will take too much time / effort / cash for them to justify continuing to own it to their investors.

Last edited:

Ive had many Gibsons but this 1997 68' CS LPC is the only Gibson ive ever wanted. I can retire a happy man whenever that may be.
As the Boomers retire & die off the era of the "Guitar Hero" fanbase dies too. Not good for the Gibson brand.
Not to mention they have been releasing $30K [each] Murphy aged "Brazilian" models last several years relegating the blue collar
- working man to $1300 MIC epiphones which are at best $300 guitars.
It kinda reminds me of when the flannel guys destroyed hairbands because they all got too jacked up on themselves.

mqdefault.jpg

Attachments

• chap 11.jpg
    chap 11.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 18
Greedy Corp[orations fuck up everything that was good before them..
Yep.
Worked for a US company (privately owned) for years. They got bought by an 'umbrella' investor that had multiple companies already.
Suddenly year-results had to become quarterly driven results and all the shit that goes along with it (pull-ins anyone?).
And mind you, the "umbrella's" stock went from $11 to $70 a piece in a few years after the acquisition and that STILL wasn't enough for the greedy ones apparently.
They appointed a new CEO who's previous highest position was 'marketing manager' and after a few months, shit went downhill really fast.
The new CEO wasn't really a people's person, while the original CEO and co-owner was, and within the spawn of 2 years or so, 1/3rd of the +/- 200 employees left, 'cause they were fed up with all the corporate BS as well. It used to be a great place to work...

I agree with @shar-vell Dan - as boomers going to the afterlife accelerates there will be many gear collections hitting the market. That supply is going to drive prices down.

Brands like Gibson, Fender maybe PRS and Rickenbacker, Marshall, Mesa, and many more, are going to see their new products competing with their own used and vintage products on a much larger scale.

For example, I have around 30 guitars, I'd be surprised if more than 5 stayed in the family after my passing; same for my organs, synths, amps, etc.

Back