Gibson Garage Kirk Hammett Greeny in production... 50K? WTF??

I agree he worked hard and can do anything he wants with it...Gary Moore's estate sold it to a collector and then he sold it to Hammett. I think the problem here, is Gibson calling it the Hammett Greeny. Ridiculous at best. Gary Moore put that guitar on the map, period.
End discussion. Happy for Kirk that he bought the guitar, and he plays it..that's a good thing. I'd hate for it to be sitting on some fat cat collector's wall...and the dude can barely play open chords.
If they wanted to call it the Gary Moore tribute Greenie and mention the Hammett owns it, cool. But nobody who knows anything about the history of that guitar, would EVER associate it with anyone other than Gary, not even Green himself.
The voice of reason. Thank you, Tom. 👍

Dude helps write the most genre defining albums in thrash history and people do nothing but trash him.

He can do whatever he wants, dude was a part of my life history. RTL and MoP were my childhood soundtracks.

Good for you, Kirk.
I don't think it's really about him being anyones childhood hero or his contributions to metal. It's more about being a cheap, ridiculous cash grab based on a guitar that he didn't even make famous at all. It's nonsensical, but Gibson obviously feels like there will be fanboys up to buying it.

i remember making a VHS copy of that black album documentary, i thought all of kirks off bends was the VHS tape wobbling and thought i needed a head cleaner for my vcr but no, it was just kirks shitty playing.
Imagine that poor guitar, going from 30 plus years of Moore’s beautiful bends, vibrato, and feel, to Hammett’s, well, whatever the fuck it is he does. Greenie probably wants to hang itself buy it’s neck with it’s own low E string…:cry:

I don't think it's really about him being anyones childhood hero or his contributions to metal. It's more about being a cheap, ridiculous cash grab based on a guitar that he didn't even make famous at all. It's nonsensical, but Gibson obviously feels like there will be fanboys up to buying it.

Agreed, if it weren’t for the fact that 50% of the posts in this thread are ragging on Kirk.

I get it but at the end of the day music is a business; Kirk obviously got signed to Gibson for the simple fact that he owns this guitar and it’s a moneymaker on both sides.

I’m never going to get down on anyone in the music business making money no matter how much they have, as long as they do it with integrity. Gibson titling this guitar like they did just makes sense. Metallica has sold like 150 million records, is Gibson supposed to ignore that?

They were all preorders and they all sold out. Obviously people didn’t think this guitar was too off the mark.

Would I pay it if I had $100 million? Sure, and I’d recognize the fact that I’d be getting a guitar with lineage from 3 of my heroes.

Aside from the price, I don’t get the hate at all.

If it was just a Green/Moore guitar do you guys honestly think it’d be so much cheaper? Cmon…

Think if I was a multimillionaire with a band you guys loved and bought it and played it on stage, you guys would be ecstatic, even if at the end of the day they called it the Green/Moore/Stein guitar….

I think there’s a lot of irrational Hammett hate going on on this forum and there always has been…

I probably seem a little anti-Kirk at times but far from it. He's a metal legend. If I had the money I'd have bought it too. But I wouldn't have carved my initials in it (4:00 mark, I can't timestamp it for some reason).

I saw this when they announced it it's just absurd! In my opinion with shit like this they're pushing customers away rather than bringing them towards their product, it's completely disgusting!

I saw this when they announced it it's just absurd! In my opinion with shit like this they're pushing customers away rather than bringing them towards their product, it's completely disgusting!
Just curious but what is wrong with a company that builds guitars catering to whales that requested this guitar? They are basically selling them a limited edition Murphy for $50k. Good for them. There are a bazillion Les Pauls to choose from if you want a Les Paul. It's not like anyone is missing out here.

FWIW, in the Trogley video posted above, he contacted all the whales he knew that are buying this guitar and all of them said they were going to flip it.

$50K for a copy of a guitar. Will I be buying one? Hell no. But then these guitars weren't built for me. They were built for people with $50K of disposable cash sitting round. Gary Moore is a huge influence on my approach to playing. I steal as many licks from him as I can...lol! But this guitar run wasn't meant for us. It was meant for people who can drop $50K. Good for Gibson if they can sell them.

Even if I had the cash it would be a hard pass for me. I bought a new USA Gibson LP from the factory this year and it showed up with a cracked volume knob and played like shit. I returned it for refund. Their standards are so low these days.

Vintage ( the chinese LP clones) were doing a "greenie" for a while which had all the markings right etc. Would have saved you 49,500$

I think Gary Moore was one of the greatest players to walk this planet. Peter Green did some things I like and a lot I don't.
Kirk to me was brilliant up until AJFA.
They all had their share with that guitar.
I hate seen metal bands playing Les Paul, specially Les Paul Standards. Except for Zakk Wylde, Randy Rhodes and John Sykes.
All the other metal bands look gay playing Les Paul. But it's trendy...
Kirk is no exception to that. I used to love watching him playing live with that black Jackson Rhodes or his earlier Gibson V! He looked cool then!
Now he looks gay playing that burst. So does Hetfield when he play Les Paul shaped ESP.
But then I realized Kirk bought that guitar, and he owns it. So, he can do whatever he wants with it.
And I'm glad he is using it to record, he is playing live with it and the fact that particular guitar brings him so much joy. The same way, that same guitar brought so much joy to Peter and Gary.
If he worked hard and smart enough to make that amount of money, and pay the price others didn't want to, or could not afford, he then deserve it. And it's his guitar now. That's why Kirk Hammett Greeny.
And I wish more power to Kirk.
I was with you right up until the very end brother. And I'm way more a KH fan than PG. If they are going to add the Hammett name then imo it really should be "Moore-Hammett Greeny". Adding the Hammett name without adding Moore's name just doesn't seem right. Almost revisionist history.

So to me it is and will always just be Greeny. The story of the three legendary owners is very much a part of it but I don't think we should tack on every subsequent owner's name.

And I kind of hate KH carving his initials in the back. Why Kirk?

A $50,000 guitar is ridiculous in my opinion unless it is a historical piece. My friend's father-in-law found an old early 60s guitar played one or two time then put back in the case and left until about 2011. He pulled it out and said it looked like right out of a guitar store brand new.

Gary Moore was a Bad MFr, his intensity and soulful dedication. To mention him and Kirk Hammett in anything other than both played an electric guitar is something I could never comprehend, Hammett may have wrote some riffs we all recognize, GM was a legato beast! I think he could shit and his turds would have more substance than KHs entire anthology. If Hamlet was a fan that's one thing, but because he could sucks period, as others mentioned, it's better than some collector just sitting on it that isnt a guitar player at all.... I think, Sucks it just didnt stay with GMs legacy

Back