Going to order a Wizard MTL Mark II - suggestions?

You'll dig it, the KT120 tubes are gigantic...makes a 6L6 seem like a preamp tube.
Fortunately my gamble on the non-standard MCII with KT88's worked out for me. Perhaps the improvements distilled into new builds Rick is producing now is also a factor.

I'm finding the tweaks and improvements Rick has made to everything over the years are not discussed much in depth on these forums (could also be I'm not searching properly). At least not on a technical level. After having a couple of used Wizards I was astonished how much better they are when brought to current spec. And after adding into the cost of shipping an older one back to Rick for mods to bring one current, I'm just a few dollars under new build price anyway. So for me I'm just better off buying new to start.

Apparently I'm too picky. And apparently lots of people are happy with these used Wizards just as they are. I wish it was that way for me, but it is not.

You'll dig it, the KT120 tubes are gigantic...makes a 6L6 seem like a preamp tube.
I had never seen or heard of KT120 until I looked up the MTL MKII page. I looked up the tube and figured, damn this thing has some serious plate dissipation. I'm thinking 4 of them in something like the MTL MKII would have to be huge.

We'll see.

It will be an bad expensive experiment if it doesn't work out.

I'm finding the tweaks and improvements Rick has made to everything over the years are not discussed much in depth on these forums (could also be I'm not searching properly). At least not on a technical level.

True with most small builders unfortunately, a lot don't provide any technical information

The KT200 is definitely overkill unless you can play at gig volume - but it hits so hard it’s plain stupid. Also have a KT150 MCII coming soon hopefully. Can’t go wrong with any wattage Wizard, they all sound fantastic.
did you receive it ? how different it sounds from the E34L 100W and which one did you prefered ?

Been a while since I checked into this thread.........Both the MCII KT150 & MTL MKII KT200 are working out fine. The KT200 mashes the old 50W version (MTL MKII) I had like a gnat under an elephants ass.

Even at low volume though, I can definitely hear and feel the reserves of these massive power sections. I'm now finding the KT200 version of the MTL MKII a slightly more versatile beast. Thinking back now, I probably should have held onto the 50W version a little longer and experimented more. Just ran out of patience with it and didn't trust it since was used, and the guy that sold it to me seemed a little shady.

Both may not get used a lot, but damn are they great having around when I want something different. Hearing protection is recommended.

I’ve owned a MCII and now own a MTL MCII Hybrid, love the sweep knob!
Really zones the amp in to the tone I’m after.
Killer amps! Seems like yesterday I opened the box of joy… I highly recommend trying/buying one.

Attachments

• DCC37FC8-EDBA-4F13-A109-C74FECB8BA66.jpeg
    DCC37FC8-EDBA-4F13-A109-C74FECB8BA66.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 93
  • 41623499-C691-45B8-8E4E-093050B53D66.jpeg
    41623499-C691-45B8-8E4E-093050B53D66.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 102
  • 82C1A32C-B989-4838-8931-4AC9DCA36F54.jpeg
    82C1A32C-B989-4838-8931-4AC9DCA36F54.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 86
  • DD7D482B-C58B-4075-A4EC-614EDDE270E1.jpeg
    DD7D482B-C58B-4075-A4EC-614EDDE270E1.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 87
I’ve owned a MCII and now own a MTL MCII Hybrid, love the sweep knob!
Really zones the amp in to the tone I’m after.
Killer amps! Seems like yesterday I opened the box of joy… I highly recommend trying/buying one.
Hey dude, did you know that the matching 412 cab is for sale on Reverb and TGP? He’s selling it empty and shipping for a reasonable price. If it was black and white piping like my MCII, I don’t think of be able to resist.

Hey dude, did you know that the matching 412 cab is for sale on Reverb and TGP? He’s selling it empty and shipping for a reasonable price. If it was black and white piping like my MCII, I don’t think of be able to resist.

he has it on TGP too so could avoid the sales tax. Shipping is the problem. So damn expensive.

i bought an unloaded black/white piping Wizard cab on Reverb last month for $800 plus $200 shipping. Guy refunded me because shipping cost was about $350. Shipping costs are such a pain in the ass these days. it used to cost less than $150 to ship an unloaded 412. Oh well I don’t really need 5 Wizard cabs anyway. Lol

he has it on TGP too so could avoid the sales tax. Shipping is the problem. So damn expensive.

i bought an unloaded black/white piping Wizard cab on Reverb last month for $800 plus $200 shipping. Guy refunded me because shipping cost was about $350. Shipping costs are such a pain in the ass these days. it used to cost less than $150 to ship an unloaded 412. Oh well I don’t really need 5 Wizard cabs anyway. Lol
Yeah, it’s a good time to be happy with what we have.

Back