Got the Friedman Pink 🌮 V2..

napalmdeath

It's a little beast, alright.
Definitely not dark, it's pretty bright, but easily tamed with the treble knob. One thing that jumps out, is the clarity, and the harmonics that fly out. Really rich.

I would certainly agree it's more aggressive as well. Has a pretty hefty amount of gain. I used the gain structure switch to it's highest setting, but I don't care for the Sat switch. It really thins out the tone and sounds a little grainy. The fat switch is WAY too fat. I could see it working with a Strat, but very bloated with humbuckers. Even my SG.

It does sound pretty big for a little amp, but I threw an EQ in the loop and slightly bumped the lows/low mids, and it sounds pretty monstrous. This is through a UK Greenback loaded Randall 4x12.

I tried a number of boosts. MXR Custom Modified OD, Fortin TS9, Flux Drive, MXR GT-OD, Boss SD-1 and an MXR Zakk Wylde. Oddly enough, the Wylde OD was the clear winner, with the Flux Drive a close second. The Wylde OD is much like the SD-1, with a slight bump in the low mids, and less low end suckage, yet tight. There's a reason I've hung on to that pedal for over 15 years!! It loves a boost, which makes the Sat switch unnecessary, to me, anyway.

In short, believe the hype. All videos and descriptions are spot-on, especially Pete Thorn's. It's definitely more aggressive and pissed off sounding. It has that modified Marshall thing going on, less polished, less polite, and definitely less dark. MAN, I'd love to see a 50 watt EL34 loaded version. I love single channel amps.

Definitely not dark, it's pretty bright, but easily tamed with the treble knob. One thing that jumps out, is the clarity, and the harmonics that fly out. Really rich.

I would certainly agree it's more aggressive as well. Has a pretty hefty amount of gain. I used the gain structure switch to it's highest setting, but I don't care for the Sat switch. It really thins out the tone and sounds a little grainy. The fat switch is WAY too fat. I could see it working with a Strat, but very bloated with humbuckers. Even my SG.

It does sound pretty big for a little amp, but I threw an EQ in the loop and slightly bumped the lows/low mids, and it sounds pretty monstrous. This is through a UK Greenback loaded Randall 4x12.

I tried a number of boosts. MXR Custom Modified OD, Fortin TS9, Flux Drive, MXR GT-OD, Boss SD-1 and an MXR Zakk Wylde. Oddly enough, the Wylde OD was the clear winner, with the Flux Drive a close second. The Wylde OD is much like the SD-1, with a slight bump in the low mids, and less low end suckage, yet tight. There's a reason I've hung on to that pedal for over 15 years!! It loves a boost, which makes the Sat switch unnecessary, to me, anyway.

In short, believe the hype. All videos and descriptions are spot-on, especially Pete Thorn's. It's definitely more aggressive and pissed off sounding. It has that modified Marshall thing going on, less polished, less polite, and definitely less dark. MAN, I'd love to see a 50 watt EL34 loaded version. I love single channel amps.
interesting aside on the GT-OD - if you pull it apart, there's a dip switch inside that changes it to the Wylde OD. It even says it on the board. I actually had mine modded with a mini toggle.

Good review - if possible - try out the low gain settings and let us know if its got the more vintage tones in there too.

Im a huge friedman fan and though i dont need this, i am def considering it.

Yeah I am interested in this amp as well. I have a BE100 and want something a little more lively and not so compressed and dark.

interesting aside on the GT-OD - if you pull it apart, there's a dip switch inside that changes it to the Wylde OD. It even says it on the board. I actually had mine modded with a mini toggle.
Yes, I'm aware. But the GT-OD works well on it's own with certain amps that play nice with TS9-types, (more modern 6L6-loaded amps).

Good review - if possible - try out the low gain settings and let us know if its got the more vintage tones in there too.

Im a huge friedman fan and though i dont need this, i am def considering it.
It does, in the down position of the structure switch. Really, the only thing that makes it a bit more modern, is the Sat switch, which I don't care for. It'll do vintage tones in the highest gain setting, with the gain backed off.

Yeah I am interested in this amp as well. I have a BE100 and want something a little more lively and not so compressed and dark.
This amp nails it. It's lively for sure, and take your head off bright if you set it that way. I ran the treble at about 10 'o clock. Noon or beyond, it's quite bright, which is closer to a Marshall, (only the knobs are way more useable, and can really tailor the tone).

It's funny, I have heard that compressed sound for years on the BE stuff. Same with the synergy model. It can sound less so in demos but under the fingers, there is just something about it that doesn't jive for me. I really liked Friedman's Brahma module though as well as the sound of this one so Friedman has it in his designs to brighten these up and make them more raw. Still waiting for him to deliver the ultimate single channel amp that is nice and raw and bitey. I think he could just make a bigger version of this little guy as per the OP's suggestion. Some people love the Friedman sound but I think if you are an 800 or Plexi guy, a lot of times you want the teeth in your tone. The runt sounds like it is the closest to that sound to me outside of this one.

It's funny, I have heard that compressed sound for years on the BE stuff. Same with the synergy model. It can sound less so in demos but under the fingers, there is just something about it that doesn't jive for me. I really liked Friedman's Brahma module though as well as the sound of this one so Friedman has it in his designs to brighten these up and make them more raw. Still waiting for him to deliver the ultimate single channel amp that is nice and raw and bitey. I think he could just make a bigger version of this little guy as per the OP's suggestion. Some people love the Friedman sound but I think if you are an 800 or Plexi guy, a lot of times you want the teeth in your tone. The runt sounds like it is the closest to that sound to me outside of this one.
Many discount the Runt, (mostly snobbery with the PCB construction). But, even Dave himself has said it's his favorite offering. It is indeed very raw, bright and more Marshall-esque. But, I needed the Hot Mod to add some girth, and gain. The PT-20 V2 has it out of the box.

Many discount the Runt, (mostly snobbery with the PCB construction). But, even Dave himself has said it's his favorite offering. It is indeed very raw, bright and more Marshall-esque. But, I needed the Hot Mod to add some girth, and gain. The PT-20 V2 has it out of the box.

You could probably ask Dave what you could do to the Runt to get it ballpark gain of the V2 Taco.

Nice! How does the Runt with the hot mod compare to the new taco?
They sound very close. My only issue with the Runt was that I depended on the Hot Mod. With it, it killed, but I sold it yesterday. I loved that amp, but I hated the Hot Mod being a mandatory add-on.

The PT-20 has more bite, and definitely harmonically richer, (without the Hot Mod in the Runt). The PT screams. An EQ in the loop gets it as big sounding as you want, but the core tone is fantastic.

These guys have figured out how to make the PT sound like a Deluxe Reverb and back to a PT. 4:33 if it doesn't queue up

It's definitely more aggressive and pissed off sounding. It has that modified Marshall thing going on, less polished, less polite, and definitely less dark. MAN, I'd love to see a 50 watt EL34 loaded version. I love single channel amps.
I just watched some of the clips. I dig it. From what you say and what I heard yeah, a 50 watt version would be awesome.

Back