Greenback & Creamback Experts in Here Please

glpg80

I now have two cabinets full of 25W reissue G12Ms. I need a more punchy and modern-sounding setup in one of the cabinets. I don't tune below Eb but play heavy-handed - I used to have Splawn small blocks X pattern V30s in my cabinets many years ago and it sounded great - very modern sounding and punchy. But at times I wish it leaned just a tad bit more vintage. I'm wondering what to do next but don't want to go down this rabbit hole without ruling out bad combinations others have already tried and hated with marshall/SLO/5150 style voicings.

Here's a video of my setup I had in the past:

I'm looking at the following combinations, has anyone run this with good results?

1) G12M 25W 75Hz Greenbacks Top / G12H30 Creambacks 55Hz Bottom

2) Peavey Sheffield 1200's / G12M 75Hz Greenbacks X pattern

3) Splawn Small Blocks X Alnico Creams 90W

I'm not against going back to what I had before, but want to consult others on new models that didn't exist back then.

Of these choices, which would you recommend and why?

PDC

I’ve got a G12H30 75hz / G12H30 55hz pair in a thiele ported 2x12 that previously housed a pair of 90 Watt Alnico Creams. I found the 90 watters to sound a little dull & stiff by comparison. The 30 watters just sound ‘livelier’ to my ears. When I run my Abrahamian metro 12,xxx through that cab, it’s got hella vintage vibe. And when I run my Splawn Nitro through the cab, it’s got that modern low end - thanks to the 55hz speaker. I think a straight front 4x12 with 55hz in the bottom and 75hz up top would be really, really hard to beat.

Buckeyedog

PDC":3tt8q8rv said:
I’ve got a G12H30 75hz / G12H30 55hz pair in a thiele ported 2x12 that previously housed a pair of 90 Watt Alnico Creams. I found the 90 watters to sound a little dull & stiff by comparison. The 30 watters just sound ‘livelier’ to my ears. When I run my Abrahamian metro 12,xxx through that cab, it’s got hella vintage vibe. And when I run my Splawn Nitro through the cab, it’s got that modern low end - thanks to the 55hz speaker. I think a straight front 4x12 with 55hz in the bottom and 75hz up top would be really, really hard to beat.

Agree with this or keep the 55's on the bottom and go with the heritage greenies on top.