Greenbacks and v-30's

Hollywood

Has any one ever run a 4-12 cab with celestion v-30's mixed with greenbacks?
Or the greenback reissue speakers ?
What do the h-30 anniversary celestions sound like on their own and in comparison to these speakers listed ?

Hollywood":ropxa55w said:
Has any one ever run a 4-12 cab with celestion v-30's mixed with greenbacks?
Or the greenback reissue speakers ?
What do the h-30 anniversary celestions sound like on their own and in comparison to these speakers listed ?

I have and the V30, being 60 watt speakers will overpower and overshadow the 25 watt Greenback to the point that they become inaudible. Didn't like it worth a damn.

Steve

I recall Dave F had them in a cab at the amp show and they sounded great,V3s and greenbacks side by side,not in an x pattern.

I guess what I am trying to do, is solve this riddle. I don't like just v-30's by them selves. :no:
To plain. something just missing. Not bad sounding , but still.....I like the 75's with v-30's even though I don't understand why, because I have always hated gt-75's by themselves...
So I have a ton of these v-30's.....The so called good ones, but what speaker if any could I run with them to get use from them? I don't like the h-75 scumbacks with the v-30's..Sounds good, but just to articulate, clear and sharp.... I am a vintage, warm tone lover...
Oh, yeah... I am Aries.....KA CHING! :LOL: :LOL:

I think I figured out tonight the h-75 scumbacks are to bright, to much top end for my tastes. At least paired with the m-75's in a 4/12 bottom straight cab... I love them...But the H-75's in that cab off set the darkness the bottom adds.
So that is why they work out okay to me. But in a 2/12 or with v-30's even in the same 4/12 bottom straight cab... No way! :doh:
So the m-75's or green backs carry the warmth and darker tones. Which I like.
Maybe I should look at the Lynchbacks, or the EVH speakers ?
Who can tell me about how the heritage greenbacks sound?
Or for that fact the heritage h-30's ?
Bright? Dark? Muddy ? etc....

Greenbacks and V30 fight each other too much in the mids IMO. Not so much a volume issue, but a frequency issue. And you definately don't want Heritage G12M's (only 96dB). I don't like the H30 Anniversaries....too bright/sharp. And I hear the 55hz Heritage is worse.

I would recommend a pair of WGS 55hz Reapers. Perfect mix IMO. I'm also curious about the brand new Heritage 75hz G12H30's. They are getting great reviews from the few who already have them. Supposedly more full in the mids and a smoother top......which is basically what I hear with the bass cone Reapers.

Maybe I should just stick to all greenbacks? Like the EVH or Lynchback versions ? I could sell all the v-30's and h-75's and I guess give away the two gt-75's I have. :LOL: :LOL: Cause nobody ever seems to want to buy those. I guess the Lynchbacks in a 2/12 would be the trick what with the wattage issues of only running two speakers.

Have you considered the J75's Hollywood? We seem to have very similar tastes in speakers, I bet you would love them. I have 2 cabs with J75 x V30, and the combination sounds fantastic IMO. After I loaded my first cab with that combo, my other cab started collecting dust. I wanted some variety in my other cab, but after trying a bunch of other X combos and straight configs, nothing sounded as good to me. I ended up just throwing in the towel and loading the J75 x V30 again. I'm partial to the V30, but felt they were missing something alone too. The J75 give it some of that greenie type mid snarl and complexity, but kept that V30 punch and cut. The wattage matches up nice with 65W, and the sensitivity is close enough where the J's don't get overwhelmed.

I have the Bogner OS 2/12 cab loaded with 1-h-75 and 1-j-75 from Jim.. When I ran this cab set up with a moded marshall, wizard, etc.. .it sounded thin, and a bit sharp to me. But tonight when I ran the Bogner Uberschall with it.
It sounded great. I called Jim to tell him, that if any one wants a killer combination for the uber, modern with a touch of vintage... the h and j is it.
But I guess I could load one of the new original v-30's back in this cab with the j-75... I like a warm full tone. Not to much in the highs....
Now the h and m scums in a 4/12 bottom cab with a marshall or Wizard etc... Yikes... That kills. :rock: Check out Hacksaw's clips with the v-30's and j-75's like you are talking about. Joe Sat's tone in spades. :yes:

Hollywood":2yxz8f20 said:
I have the Bogner OS 2/12 cab loaded with 1-h-75 and 1-j-75 from Jim.. When I ran this cab set up with a moded marshall, wizard, etc.. .it sounded thin, and a bit sharp to me. But tonight when I ran the Bogner Uberschall with it.
It sounded great. I called Jim to tell him, that if any one wants a killer combination for the uber, modern with a touch of vintage... the h and j is it.
But I guess I could load one of the new original v-30's back in this cab with the j-75... I like a warm full tone. Not to much in the highs....
Now the h and m scums in a 4/12 bottom cab with a marshall or Wizard etc... Yikes... That kills. :rock: Check out Hacksaw's clips with the v-30's and j-75's like you are talking about. Joe Sat's tone in spades. :yes:
yeah, the H and M scums is going to be my next cab possibly. I really like Jim's speakers, spoiled me rotten though.

I really like the V30 x J75 combo, but it doesn't really get rid of the V30 highs. They are still there, it's just a bit subdued. If you like the V30 though, the added J will give you some of the qualities you're looking for, without taking away what the V30 brings to the table. Curious to hear what you think, as I'm planning on another cab at some point for more variety.

Erock":2gooc1vv said:
Have you considered the J75's Hollywood? We seem to have very similar tastes in speakers, I bet you would love them. I have 2 cabs with J75 x V30, and the combination sounds fantastic IMO. After I loaded my first cab with that combo, my other cab started collecting dust. I wanted some variety in my other cab, but after trying a bunch of other X combos and straight configs, nothing sounded as good to me. I ended up just throwing in the towel and loading the J75 x V30 again. I'm partial to the V30, but felt they were missing something alone too. The J75 give it some of that greenie type mid snarl and complexity, but kept that V30 punch and cut. The wattage matches up nice with 65W, and the sensitivity is close enough where the J's don't get overwhelmed.

Good advice.....and sort of what I was alluding to.

Steve

I seriously made some strides tonight on where I am with what I have in amps. Funny how you set out to try and get answers for say speakers... :confused: But then answers for some other gear come to ya. :LOL: :LOL:
I may sell my Uberschall :scared: I can't believe I am even saying that considering I managed to get one of the special Ubers out there. But, I am playing classic rock 9/10's of the time so the Uber is just bored. He wants out. :LOL: :LOL: I may even sell one or two modded marshalls also. :aww:
Whew! I am scaring myself. Must go take some shots. Russian versions at that.

Hollywood":26f1iywi said:
Maybe I should just stick to all greenbacks? Like the EVH or Lynchback versions ? I could sell all the v-30's and h-75's and I guess give away the two gt-75's I have. :LOL: :LOL: Cause nobody ever seems to want to buy those. I guess the Lynchbacks in a 2/12 would be the trick what with the wattage issues of only running two speakers.

Wood,

Have you tried CL-80's ? They are my favorite, and a good mix with V30's..

A Smoother less Gritty Top End. Def LESS BRIGHT, and they have that profound bottom end PUNCH.

Steve k does not like them so you might! LOL! :LOL: :LOL:

Roid

:LOL: :LOL: Never tried them. Honestly the greenback warmth is my favorite. but I know that a slant top cab with all greenbacks sounds terrific to my ears. The straight bottom cab with all greenbacks sounds to dark. This is why I am thinking about trying the Lynchbacks and the EVH speakers. Art/232cap said in a comparison they did, the EVH speakers sounded good and the Lynchbacks sounded the same only with slightly more bottom focus if I remember right.
I may just sell all my v-30's and move on.

RoidRage":3hc7tupj said:
Hollywood":3hc7tupj said:

Wood,

Have you tried CL-80's ? They are my favorite, and a good mix with V30's..

A Smoother less Gritty Top End. Def LESS BRIGHT, and they have that profound bottom end PUNCH.

Steve k does not like them so you might! LOL! :LOL: :LOL:

Roid

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

Hollywood":3qz821jw said:
I seriously made some strides tonight on where I am with what I have in amps. Funny how you set out to try and get answers for say speakers... :confused: But then answers for some other gear come to ya. :LOL: :LOL:
I may sell my Uberschall :scared: I can't believe I am even saying that considering I managed to get one of the special Ubers out there. But, I am playing classic rock 9/10's of the time so the Uber is just bored. He wants out. :LOL: :LOL: I may even sell one or two modded marshalls also. :aww:
Whew! I am scaring myself. Must go take some shots. Russian versions at that.
hmm, special uberschall!?! I guess I'm one of the few guys that likes that amp, please hit me up if you do decide to sell yours! I know if you're saying it's a "special one", it must be ridiculous. :LOL: :LOL:

I love the amp also. Nothing like an Uberschall. :rock:
But I am not playing the kind of music the Uber is made for.
You on the other hand play exactly what this thing shines at.
You know how you can go and play 75 guitars and there is one, just one that is tops ? Amps can be the same way... Well this is one of those amps.
I know.. every one that has seen it, heard it , played it, also knows it.
She is amazing. This is why I have never let it go, even though I have mostly just stared at it for the longest.. You would have to consider it a collectors item in the shape it is in.
Charlie at Bogner sent me matching bone /cream colored chicken head knobs that match the Bogner logo. All new tubes... :rock:

Back