Greenbacks with Peavey 5150 ?

vicknott

Good idea or not ? Maybe I'm wrong, but the Sheffield is based on Greenback and a lot of people says it's not a bad speaker and it's supposed to work well with 5150 (as Peavey intended). I'll use a 212 combo converted to head (60 W) into a 4x12 cab (100 W) and only for decent volumes (recording, not gigging), so I'm not worried about nasty cone breakup. What do you say ?

Nice, what do you play, any recordings ? I forgot to say I'm into thrash/groove-metal, maybe that will help for answers.

I swapped out the Sheffields for V30's in my 4x12 cabinet. Sounds MUCH better! I tried the head thru a Marshall 4x12 cab loaded with Heritage Greenbacks, it just wasn't there for me.

If I don't like Greenbacks on their own, would it be a good idea to pair them with V30 ? X pattern or V30s on the bottom ?

Greenbacks are OK, and yes, I am one of the ones that thinks the Sheffields sound really similar. I've tried V30s with it, too, and H30s, k100s, earcandy green machines, swamp thang, black powder, and a couple of legends. Best speakers with the 5150 212 combo are Eminence Legend V12s, by FAR. More clarity, punch and a more balanced tone than anything else I've tried with it. Sounds thick and massive. High volume or low volume, they sound great. Its what I've got in my avatar 412, and the only speaker Ill ever use again.

GB's sound AMAZING with 5150's. There's a reason why the EVH cab is loaded with them. I can tell you I have the EVH cab and it sounded great with my old blockletter and now my 5153.

The other guitarist I jam with has a Mesa OS with v30's, and we both agree that my EVH cab sounds MUCH better.

Here is a 5150 through a GB cab. Note the WICKED crunch on palm mutes:

rbasaria":1dxxzhr7 said:
Greenbacks are OK, and yes, I am one of the ones that thinks the Sheffields sound really similar. I've tried V30s with it, too, and H30s, k100s, earcandy green machines, swamp thang, black powder, and a couple of legends. Best speakers with the 5150 212 combo are Eminence Legend V12s, by FAR. More clarity, punch and a more balanced tone than anything else I've tried with it. Sounds thick and massive. High volume or low volume, they sound great. Its what I've got in my avatar 412, and the only speaker Ill ever use again.

:rock: This. Emi V12 rules. 412, 212, 112.

thunda":2g6gejmm said:
rbasaria":2g6gejmm said:

:rock: This. Emi V12 rules. 412, 212, 112.

The V1216's?

The V1216s are 16 ohms, the V128s are 8 ohms. Eminence says they're the closest speaker to the Fryette P50E. Just be sure you break them in. They're harsh out of the box.

Couple of things related to this thread. When I had my 6505 and more recently the EVH 50w, the Greenback Reissues were my fave......even over the EVH/Heritage and Creamback 65's. Secondly, the Eminence V12 properly broken in might be my favorite speaker ever :thumbsup:

I think I need to pick up some V12's again. I gigged with them for years and really liked them.

Yep. I am going to put some Scum M75-LD's up on the block and turn that into a couple V12's!

Back