Guitar falling forward/ Neck heavy

locoed

I'm sure at some point somebody has had this problem?
Normally a guitar will slide/dip down neck first.
Nylon strap is a no no,I've tried leather,suede etc
Etc etc,I have more straps than guitars.
The guitar is an Explorer,I have a few Explorers but this one
Is giving a beating.
How do you fix this? Drill another hole? Maybe a half higher
From the rear strap peg?
Please lemme know.

I had a USA Dean Caddy that did this.

It drove me crazy because I play some keys at our gigs, and every time I'd take both hands off the guitar to play the keys it would drop forward. I didn't want to re-drill the guitar, so I had to get creative. I had limited luck using a rubber backed strap pad I stole off my wife's luggage, and sewed to my guitar strap, but quite honestly I got rid of the guitar after a while. It just wasn't worth it.

When a guitar does this it's just bad design imo.

It's easier to to just run a bungie cord from the rear strap peg to a hook on the floor. Works every time. You can even hook it to the bottom of you shoe if you want to walk around.

What tuners are on the guitar?

I'll tell you that I've got a Hamer Artist Korina. Semihollow Korina double cut. Body light as a feather. When I got it, that SOB would neck dive like nobody's business. Like you, I tried different straps. What ended up working for me was the tuners. The Hamer came with metal-button Grovers. I changed them for metal-button Schallers that fit the same footprint (saved a couple oz), then swapped the metal buttons for rosewood (saved a little more weight). It may not sound like much, but you're removing weight from the furthest point from the pivot. It matters.

LP Freak":sq97amn7 said:
It's easier to to just run a bungie cord from the rear strap peg to a hook on the floor. Works every time. You can even hook it to the bottom of you shoe if you want to walk around.

:shocked:

59Bassman":3r4qdjxz said:
What tuners are on the guitar?

I'll tell you that I've got a Hamer Artist Korina. Semihollow Korina double cut. Body light as a feather. When I got it, that SOB would neck dive like nobody's business. Like you, I tried different straps. What ended up working for me was the tuners. The Hamer came with metal-button Grovers. I changed them for metal-button Schallers that fit the same footprint (saved a couple oz), then swapped the metal buttons for rosewood (saved a little more weight). It may not sound like much, but you're removing weight from the furthest point from the pivot. It matters.

I totally understand what your saying, I did the same thing because this isn't the first time
It's happened. I used mini locking Grovers. And their light.
I'm thinking about drilling another hole,I'd hate to but I love the way this guitar sounds.
It's alder with an ebony board.

locoed":2llvvxxp said:
I totally understand what your saying, I did the same thing because this isn't the first time
It's happened. I used mini locking Grovers. And their light.
I'm thinking about drilling another hole,I'd hate to but I love the way this guitar sounds.
It's alder with an ebony board.

Before you go drillin', it looks like WD Music Products might sell something that MAY fit your tuners. Ebony buttons. Hey, they'd match your fingerboard. And they might be a difference-maker from your metal buttons...

Lo, for a common malady 'tis ye "neck heavy" axe! Many hath claimed such an affliction 'tis from forces of ye underworld drawing ye axe closer to theire fiery depths!

However, I bring'eth thee good tidings, dear locoed, for a simple solution can defy Lucifer's pull!

A roll of pennies, within a bank'ists paper sheath, sealed within ye Explorers Control Cavity, may add'eth enough weighte to bring'eth ye axe to equilibrium! Thee may elect'eth to wrap these pennies in a scroll of foam, to prevent'eth it's movement whence thou art unleashing torrents of molten Metal from thine Explorer!

This post now concludeth!

Ye Black Knight":2rnfr9ca said:
Lo, for a common malady 'tis ye "neck heavy" axe! Many hath claimed such an affliction 'tis from forces of ye underworld drawing ye axe closer to theire fiery depths!

However, I bring'eth thee good tidings, dear locoed, for a simple solution can defy Lucifer's pull!

A roll of pennies, within a bank'ists paper sheath, sealed within ye Explorers Control Cavity, may add'eth enough weighte to bring'eth ye axe to equilibrium! Thee may elect'eth to wrap these pennies in a scroll of foam, to prevent'eth it's movement whence thou art unleashing torrents of molten Metal from thine Explorer!

This post now concludeth!

Hahahaha :thumbsup: I can't,there are 2-9 volt battery's
In the rear cavity.

I saw that neck heavy counter weight, to bad it can't be used with the strap I have for it.
And I'm not sure the tuning pegs are that heavy,not enough to make a difference. The Grover's I have on it are pretty small & light,however I'm going to order them anyway.

Allot is said for proper building techniques. Balance is a key point to a good build. Sell it and find a better one. :thumbsup:

glip22":3simq9jl said:
Allot is said for proper building techniques. Balance is a key point to a good build. Sell it and find a better one. :thumbsup:

It's an "84 and it's super light, my other explorers are mahogany and
Heavy. I'm stuck with it,looks like it's going to be a lap guitar :cry:

You can try fitting some lead fishing weights in the control cavity or $10 in quarters attatched to the ass end of you strap.

Back