Guitarists who can play Yngwie's style well

Jeezus - How depressingly good. I’d seen Kelly Simonz’ stuff online before but not these other guys. I’d almost rather listen to Cesario Filho than Yngwie himself! It’s like Yngwie at his ferocity peak - but even a bit more???

I’d almost rather listen to Cesario Filho than Yngwie himself! It’s like Yngwie at his ferocity peak - but even a bit more???

He really is like young Yngwie, but somehow he's got more of that magic fire. It's like Yngwie at his peak taken up a notch or two. Stunning player.

Fishman sought him out to endorse their pickups.

Here he's playing Duncan YJM's.

Here's he's playing the Fishmans.

Red Carrozza Strat has DiMarzio HS pickups. Yngwie Strat has Duncan YJM's.

In this video he's playing Fender Noiseless pickups but I don't know which models.

Last edited:
ive never made it through :45 seconds of a yingwee song, one of these days im really gonna try to get to the 1:00 mark
When I was younger, I listened to him a bit more but was never a huge fan. Always was more into the Vai/Satch vibe. Monster player though. As an adult, I have almost zero interest in Yngwie stuff. Don't care for Vai and Satch much anymore either, my tastes have changed a lot in 20 years of playing I guess. Went from being a teen to a Father. Funny how fast that happens.

I'm not sure how I feel about what I'm about to say but... I think I really like the tone of a single coil strat into a ton of gain now??

I mean for me it won’t replace the benchmark core-tone "solid body guitar > mounted bridge humbucker > tight high gain amp" type sound for me, but still. The stringy-ness and the sense of plastic on wood you get with pickguard mounted single coils under a bunch of gain has a really cool character.

Yngwie called this sound the "nuclear violin" tone and yeah I hear it. It does have a kind of classical stringed instrument resonance to it.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how I feel about what I'm about to say but... I think I really like the tone of a single coil strat into a ton of gain now??

I mean it's got no chance of replacing the benchmark core-tone "solid body guitar with a mounted bridge humbucker into a tight high gain amp" type sound for me, but still. The stringy-ness and the sense of plastic on wood you get with pickguard mounted single coils under a bunch of gain has a really cool character.

Yngwie called this sound the "nuclear violin" tone and yeah I hear it. It does have a kind of classical stringed instrument resoance to it.
I'm with you, I dig it too. Thought about getting a decent Strat and throwing a YJM set in it. It's different enough to justify a different flavor. Won't replace the SG, of course..

When I was younger, I listened to him a bit more but was never a huge fan. Always was more into the Vai/Satch vibe. Monster player though. As an adult, I have almost zero interest in Yngwie stuff. Don't care for Vai and Satch much anymore either, my tastes have changed a lot in 20 years of playing I guess. Went from being a teen to a Father. Funny how fast that happens.

His playing hits a nerve with me that gets me irritated, tense and uncomfortable. I remember reading of tests being done during the war where they would play terrible music to prisoners hoping to drive them nuts so they would cough up secrets, it had to be yngwie they were playing. Adele’s cackling voice is the only thing that comes close to sounding worse to me

I mean for me it won’t replace the benchmark core-tone "solid body guitar > mounted bridge humbucker > tight high gain amp" type sound for me, but still. The stringy-ness and the sense of plastic on wood you get with pickguard mounted single coils under a bunch of gain has a really cool character.

Yngwie called this sound the "nuclear violin" tone and yeah I hear it. It does have a kind of classical stringed instrument resonance to it.
I actually play that combo all the time! My strat has pickups from Planet Tone and sounds monstrous. Absolutely love it.

So many do Yngwie well. I think that Filho guy does it better than Simonz (who is a bit off here and there) but how about TomShreds? This guy teaches Yngwie courses on youtube and he does a good old school Alcatraz/ first 3 Yngwie album's YJM. Stump doesn't impress me at all. He's sloppy live. Chris impelliteri does a next level pinball machine YJM so he gets a mention.

Like I said.. SO MANY ... even average dudes. But there was really only one who created it all so nobody else matters. They can even be " better". They didn't write the material though. So to me I don't pay attention to the clones. ( listen to the nerd at the beginning doing Blitzkrieg)

His playing hits a nerve with me that gets me irritated, tense and uncomfortable. I remember reading of tests being done during the war where they would play terrible music to prisoners hoping to drive them nuts so they would cough up secrets, it had to be yngwie they were playing. Adele’s cackling voice is the only thing that comes close to sounding worse to me
Maybe it's the single coil...

All I hear in this thread is proof that Malmsteen is the total package .. yes these dudes can play "like" him but none of them even come close to sounding like him

Back