Guy trying to hustle me on Reverb

boltzthrower

TL;DR - Buyer deliberately thrashed a piece of rack gear I sold him online in order to try and hustle a refund.

Day 1 - Buys item, asks if I can ship same day, I tell him I will tomorrow. We're both in the lower 48 states, USA.

Day 2, 8 AM - Him: "Have you shipped it yet?" Me: "Headed to the post office in an hour."

Day 9 - "Where's my package?" (despite having the tracking #).

Day 10 - "Where's my package?" and tells me they would have purchased from someone else if they knew it would take this long.

Day 13 - "Where's my package?" - At this point I feel for the guy, USPS is fucking up.

Day 14 - Tells me he's going to "cancel the order" and that I should give him a refund plus money for return postage. I get that as some point that would make sense but it seems to me like 14 days is jumping the gun a bit on that. Also tells me he should get a refund because I'm "unwilling to investigate at my local USPS" despite being aware that I was on vacation at the time in an area with no cell reception.

Day 19 - Item is finally delivered.

Day 21 - Buyer tries to initiate a refund claim regarding the item being damaged but since a non-delivered-item-refund-claim was already initiated I am not sent any sort of new refund claim. I get a message from a Reverb employee asking me to follow up on a damaged item refund claim and I explain to the employee that I've only received a non delivered item claim but the package has now been delivered.

Day 40 - After a long period of radio silence, the employee at Reverb finally explains that the buyer subsequently made a damaged item refund request (which was never sent to me due to the limitations of Reverb's system). I contact the buyer to inquire upon the alleged damage; I asked if he could send me pics of the packaging and item. Buyer sends me pics only of the packaging - the corners of the box are torn so it appears it may be plausible this item was damaged in transit. Buyer asks for a partial refund ($100 refund on a $200 item). I decide to sleep on it since this all seems rather suspicious.

Day 41 - I ask if the item has been damaged. Buyer tells me "It's unclear at this time". This is 22 days after the item arrived and apparently it's, "unclear at this time".
Buyer tells me there are heavy scratches on the bottom side of the item which therefore proves the item arrived not as described. The buyer suggest I make a (fraudulent) claim with the courier.

So first they want a refund 'cause it hadn't arrived.

Then they want a refund because it was supposedly damaged in transit, which it wasn't.

Now they want a refund claiming the item is in worse condition than described, and here's the kicker, they obviously thrashed it themself. It's a 1 unit rack item and I did not include pics of the underside in the listing. The buyer attempts to exploit that and scratches the shit out of the underside. He probably thought it a safe bet 'cause if it doesn't work out for him, the item is still functional and no one ever looks at the under side. I let him know he has incriminated himself since I happen to have pictures of the underside from before it was shipped (I'm not bluffing). He then tells me how it was smart of me to take pics so now I can make a claim with the courier since it was damaged in transit.

Some fucking people.

Haha, nah, I've seen some. I haven't dealt with any BS from the company yet, besides their poor communication regarding this issue which isn't that big of a deal to me, yet.

The underside was scratched-to-shit in-transit. :LOL: Yeah, right. :confused:

Sorry you had to endure this shit bro'. Some peeps seem to have nothing better to do with their time than to make life difficult for others and rip 'em off at the same time. :dunno:

Hmm. All I can say is that I haven't had these problems on Reverb, but I don't want to, either. I know that for buying new gear, you can really lowball the shit out of some of the sellers and get a helluva deal. Try doing that at Guitar Center. Sometimes i just watch an item or put it in my cart and they offer me like 400 off. But aside from buying new stuff, I may stop with it. Before taxes and fees, it really was a badass place to get gear.

The item was scratched on the underside and he wants HALF the value as a refund?

Fuck these people. This is why I stopped selling online, what an asshole. All of that for a lousy hundred bucks.

daily reminder of why I don’t sell online anymore. I have plenty I could sell but I don’t really need the money and really don’t need the aggravation.

Reverb works until it doesn't. Then you're fucked. It is good that this happened on a relatively cheap item. Now you know, now it's on you.

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

And in other news, Etsy stock is up over 300% this year. :doh:

That sucks dude.

Do the pics he sent differ from the pics in your listing or that you took before it shipped? What did the buyer's feedback/rating look like?

I've been in Reverb since 2015 and never had a problem Reverb didn't resolve. But I've had a couple close calls with sketchy buyers to the point where anything I list has clear pics from every angle. I also take pics before I ship it, and take pics of how it's packed. When I sold a $3K amp, I also did a video the day I shipped it going through all channels and functions. In addition, my store policy puts a 72 hour limit on buyer's claims of damage or not-as-described, requires them to retain an packing materials, etc. Several hundred transactions and I've never been on the losing end of the few disputes I have had, but I also do the diligence to equip Reverb with what they need to go to bat for me. It's really just a few bad apples out there that make it this way for everyone.

Last edited:
Had a problem on reverb myself. Sold a clean 80’s MIJ Greco. After he made payment he sent me a message saying the radiator went in his truck, and would I refund. I explained I’m not a guitar dealer,,sorry. He gets the guitar, then claims the neck profile wasn’t what was listed. Files reverb claim. I provide proof with his message about broke down truck before he even received the guitar. Found out quick buyer has more rights than the seller.

Back