Hard 32 cab load limit on Cab M Plus?

AnyNameYouWish

Alternate title: "Why did I just buy a 32GB Micro SD Card?"

When I tried to load up some of the new bass IR's earlier this week I got a "not enough space on torpedo" error. I thought it was because of the microscopic 256MB MicroSD card so I ordered a 32GB one. After dealing with the poor ui for mounting I finally got it working. Go back and I get the same error. So my question:

1) I'm really limited to 32 Cabs stored on the CAB M+ even with a 32GB card?
2) What's the point of 32GB Card then? What exactly is this thing used for?

Hello @AnyNameYouWish

The SD card can not load DynIRs. It can only load 3rd party IRs in .wav format.
The DynIR cabinets are only loadable in the internal memory of the pedal that has 32 slots. It is not possible to extend the internal memory with the SD card.

The SD card will allow you to add more static IRs in your pedal.

Kind regards

Strange design choice. But I guess it will save me from spending any more money on DynIRs since swapping them in and out to the unit is slow and annoying.

I bought this to avoid always having to stare at a computer screen to play, now I find out I have to stare at a computer screen to switch between all the DynIRs I bought.

Good afternoon gents,

Ross from Two notes here. We're sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with our workflow pertaining to our C.A.B. M+, regardless we are committed to constantly improving our product roster and as such we will be forwarding your thoughts to our development team. In developing the C.A.B. M+ we felt the limit of 32 DynIRs loaded onto the unit was sufficient given the fact that have freedom to tweak the response and tonality of the resultant sound of each DynIR to taste - moreover, with the user preset facility multiple configurations of each DynIR can be saved for quick recall. Please bear in mind that a single DynIR is the equivalent of 160,000 static IRs and as such the tonal possibilities are immense.

Please also note that our DynIRs and our account licensing system are completely transferrable between our software and hardware ecosystems - not to mention you are entitled to a free version of Wall of Sound with a purchase of a C.A.B. M+ (an invaluable mixing tool we are sure you will agree).

Regardless, we relish the opportunity to hear your feedback and act upon it - please keep any suggestions coming and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kind regards,

Ross

"In developing the C.A.B. M+ we felt the limit of 32 DynIRs loaded onto the unit was sufficient given the fact that have freedom to tweak the response and tonality of the resultant sound of each DynIR to taste - moreover, with the user preset facility multiple configurations of each DynIR can be saved for quick recall. Please bear in mind that a single DynIR is the equivalent of 160,000 static IRs and as such the tonal possibilities are immense."

That's a nice thought but unrealistic in real world use. I can have 100 presets stored on the unit. But if one of the presets uses a DYNIR that is not stored on the unit it's useless. So instead of being able to switch to it instantly I have to sit down at the computer, decide which DYNIR patch I want to delete, and then load up the new patch. It makes no sense.

Another thing - If I favorite a DYNIR the fact that it is a favorite should be indicated on the cabinet manager screen - there is space right next to the action column. That way if I do have to delete a dynir to save space it give you a way to know which ones are important - because unless I save a preset with the name of the cab in it I'm not going to remember.

And yet another thing - I was trying to audition some cabs this weekend and maybe because of this limit it kept switching from the cab I wanted to audition to a default two notes cab - sometimes after a few seconds, but mostly immediately after loading them up. I just gave up in frustration.

Right now you have a system in place that discourages people from buying more of your own DYNIR files and encourages them to use third party IR files instead. Like I said, this makes absolutely no sense - from a design or business standpoint.

Hi @AnyNameYouWish

Thanks so much for getting back to us. This is great feedback and certainly valid in light of the use cases you have noted. As such I have just fed this to our development team for review! I will certainly loop back with you regarding their thoughts and possible workflow enhancements in the pipeline as soon as I hear back from them. As ever, if you have any more feedback, we would love to hear it!

Kind regards,

Ross

Glad I could help. When I'm designing something I always try to think of unusual use cases because someone is always going to end up using a product in a way you don't intend. Basically you have to break it down (repeatedly) before your customers break it. And since you asked, here are some more suggestions / observations:

Hardware:

I know you can't change it now but for future products - the USB port is in worst spot. 99% of people connecting other gear will be coming in from the right hand side but the USB cable sticks out and gets in the way. Space for gear is almost always tight. Right angled 1/4 cables are easy to find, right angle mini USB is hard to find - plus at a right angle it would run right into the power adapter. In the future please put it on the back - or the left if you have to (if the device is something that ends up at the end of the chain like the cab m+)

UI:

First I have to say the GUI itself is very well done and intuitive. Things only get harder to follow (when you're new) when you navigate to submenus. But some suggestions:

- Loading presets would be much better if all of them were displayed at once (2 or 3 columns based on screen size) instead of having to scroll through one long column.

- Maybe even better - allow us to create preset "groups" (clean / dirty / bass etc) so we can organize our presets that way. I see you use XML files for presets which should make adding a group field relatively easy.

- Setup menu - Bluetooth should be able to be turned off completely instead of just set to low

- When I still thought I could load Dynir files onto the SD card I tried to download them (offline procedure page). Never worked. Instead it displayed "creating dynir cabinets file - please wait" for 15 minutes without doing anything (google chrome without any extensions running that would block it).

Signal routing / increasing flexibility

- I don't know if this is possible with the hardware (doesn't look like it from block diagram but that may be super simplified), but since the cab M+ offers two outputs it would be nice to be able to route different signals to them - especially for recording. e.g. - send one signal out with reverb so it can be heard while recording but send a dry cab signal from other input so effects can be applied to pure signal during mixing.

Good morning @AnyNameYouWish ,

Thanks so much for the excellent feedback here - we sincerely appreaciate it. We will send it to our product team now for review!

Again thanks so much for this and please dont hesitate to reach out if there is anything else we can help you with!

Kind regards.

Ross

Any update on this? I was also stupid enough to think i can store more DynIRs with microsd. I have 50+ DynIRs and it pains me to have some left out so i simply stopped purchasing and while i don't mind leaving out those i did not purchase i do mind leaving out something i bought. :)

Good morning @rzlopasa

Thank you for getting in touch - Ross from Two notes here.

Sadly, the 32 cab limit on the C.A.B. M/M+ is fixed as these files need to be loaded onto the internal memory of the unit itself. This is something we are most certainly considering for future products, however this is something we cannot implement at this stage with the current DSP within the unit.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.

Kind regards,

Ross

Back